Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Dec.-Jan. edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I never thought of coburn being the complimentary piece. I always viewed it as kimmo....

Maybe you're not quite clear on the meaning of "complimentary piece"?

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I just meant that Kimmo was always the one who was asked to compliment coburns game. Kimmo is x10 better no doubt. My def of complimentary may be different, but I use it more as a safier sty at home less flash

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I mean, I guess you're right if by complimentary you mean that Kimmo deserved all the compliments he received.

I meant that Coburn was a risk taker and jump in play lots and at times broke down and Kimmo was there to save the day. I rarely remember 2-1 vs Coburn with Kimmo stuck up ice. In no way did I mean that Coburn was better, just meant that Kimmo was the perfect fit to make 5-44 a great pairing. I would go as far as saying that Kimmo was a great complimentary piece to Luke Schenn

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I meant that Coburn was a risk taker and jump in play lots and at times broke down and Kimmo was there to save the day. I rarely remember 2-1 vs Coburn with Kimmo stuck up ice. In no way did I mean that Coburn was better, just meant that Kimmo was the perfect fit to make 5-44 a great pairing. I would go as far as saying that Kimmo was a great complimentary piece to Luke Schenn

That's fair to say.

The amount of two-on-ones Timonen successfully shut down was remarkable.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I could see Hagg getting the call up this season because Hextall may want Sanheim and Morin to lead the playoff run with the phantoms and continue to develop chemistry. After that Hagg just stays for next season. But that's the only scenario I can think of.
That's why I said full time. It's possible he gets called up for a few games, but even then, I'm not quite sure what he has done to jump a guy like Morin for a call-up.
I am quite happy to bet now that Hagg will look 10x the player in the NHL that he does in the AHL. He game is clearly suited to the more structured NHL setup where he doesn't have time to overthink which I think is his biggest problem in the AHL. I hope to god we never trade him, because I can almost guarantee that he will end up as a top pairing ( complimentary ) defender with someone in the NHL. He just seems to have that style that makes him look lethargic, very much like Carter did.
Just curious what you see in his game to say something like this? You could say this about any prospect really. I watch him and I see nothing more than a 5/6/7 guy at the NHL level, and that's me being generous. You compare him to Carter, but he doesn't have half of Carter's talent. Even the Hextall quote, it's a bit of a backhanded compliment.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just curious what you see in his game to say something like this? You could say this about any prospect really. I watch him and I see nothing more than a 5/6/7 guy at the NHL level, and that's me being generous. You compare him to Carter, but he doesn't have half the talent to fall back on that Carter had. Even the Hextall quote, it's a bit of a backhanded compliment.

While it's true that being a d man in the AHL can be tough, and that tighter systems and whatnot can help them and make them look better in the NHL, I feel like it's a bit of a misdiagnosis with Hagg. And he could end up as a depth d man, as you said. Not ruling it out long term. That Carter comparison I won't touch with a ten foot stick haha.

But a lot of it in the AHL has to do with forwards being in crappy position to receive passes in breakouts, or not back-checking or covering properly. But Hagg's issues are with actually reading the plays and that often looking like passivity. Yes, forwards and systems are better in the NHL, but so are other teams'. Everything goes so much faster, and if Hagg is prone to questionable decision making down there, that probably isn't going to magically disappear with a level jump because of "systems." There's doing your part right and others letting you down in the AHL, and then there's just you being at fault.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I just see a guy that doesn't really impact the game in any particular area. He's just kind of average to below-average across the board. You can make a living being that kind of player in the NHL, but if you're that guy in the AHL, it's going to be tough sledding- especially with what is coming behind him. He's got a pretty good slapper but he's rarely in a position to unleash it. He's picked up the intensity this year and I'll give him credit for that, but he still has holes in his game that concern me.

Many people bring up his pro experience as a positive. I'm just speculating here, but I think playing pro so early in his career actually hurt him. He was the highest scoring defenseman in his age group playing Junior hockey in Sweden and was great in international competitions. I've seen very little offensive creativity from him since he's been Flyers property. I have to think it was coached out of him at the Senior level, or he had to completely revamp his game to survive and "lost" that part of his game. If he generated more offense, it would be a lot easier to overlook the deficiencies in his game.

Last edited:

54fightin

Feb 15, 2003
Chester County PA
Visit site
Maybe you're not quite clear on the meaning of "complimentary piece"?

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

The word is "complementary" which means to complete something. Unless you meant that Coburn and Kimmo were telling each other "nice play dude'.

Definition of complementary
1: serving to fill out or complete < … their economies are more complementary than competitive … — William Petersen>
2: mutually supplying each other's lack < … the complementary relationship that binds the two. — Colin S. Gray>

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
That's why I said full time. It's possible he gets called up for a few games, but even then, I'm not quite sure what he has done to jump a guy like Morin for a call-up.

I don't think he has done anything to jump Morin. I think Hextall might plan to pair Morin and Sanheim long term into the NHL and could consider a playoff run together in the AHL more important for them long term.

Hagg is a 3rd pair complimentary guy IMO who won't hurt you. That might not seem like much but that is very important come playoff time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers always talk about how Hagg's been a guy who's played in over his head all those years. They seemingly slowed it down for him these past two years. So I really can't see them throwing him to the wolves in the NHL at this point. He's still young & he's not ready for it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg randomly ices the puck like another Swedish dman. Maybe it's just the games I've seen but it's a bit gross when it happens.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I remember Rubtsov was maybe going to play tomorrow for Chicoutimi, but I read that it's looking more like next week. Oh well. Makes sense with the surgery, and getting some practices with the team.

Also, Michigan plays tomorrow night against Minnesota and Ohio State against Arizona State Saturday afternoon. Both games are televised.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I remember Rubtsov was maybe going to play tomorrow for Chicoutimi, but I read that it's looking more like next week. Oh well. Makes sense with the surgery, and getting some practices with the team.

Also, Michigan plays tomorrow night against Minnesota and Ohio State against Arizona State Saturday afternoon. Both games are televised.

The Sags are hoping for the 19th against Halifax, unless something has changed in the last few days.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I don't think he has done anything to jump Morin. I think Hextall might plan to pair Morin and Sanheim long term into the NHL and could consider a playoff run together in the AHL more important for them long term.

Hagg is a 3rd pair complimentary guy IMO who won't hurt you. That might not seem like much but that is very important come playoff time.

Damn you Polak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad