Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Dec.-Jan. edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
That Carter comparison I won't touch with a ten foot stick haha.

But Hagg's issues are with actually reading the plays and that often looking like passivity.

Hagg has a very laid back skating style. It does make him look slower than he actually is. It almost always brings about opinions of "lazy". I remember Carter having the exact same marks against him for it.

I disagree with the second point. When Hagg doesn't have time to think, he almost always makes the smart play. It's been shown a couple of times when the intensity of the game is high, he plays a much better game. A couple of times over the last 2 years, when the phantoms have been hit with call-ups and injuries, Hagg has played his best hockey. Usually because he's out there against the best lines. It's when the game slows down and he has time that he overthinks his play, usually ending up in backbreaking turnovers. It makes him look like he has very little hockey IQ. You take that time and space away from him and it forces him to use his instincts.

NHL forwards are relentless on the forcheck and pressure, so the intensity will always be there.

It's just an opinion, but I think he would be far more suited to the NHL than the AHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
What's up with this Bunnaman kid? He's got 21 goals, granted well off Debrincat's 36 (I think), but looks like a shooter

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Note this quote:

"In my first year [in the pros] I was still adapting so I was still doing my juniors stuff that I was running everywhere," Morin said. "But [positioning], it's really important because when your positioning is good you don't have to over-skate. You don't get tired. That's a huge part of the game."

I think this is a problem for most players out of junior and college (I suspect less so for players out of the SHL and KHL), especially those who are far more talented than their peers - if you can outskate your mistakes you tend not to focus on eliminating them.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Is there anyone else here who isn't down on Hägg?

I've never been down on him. Haven't seen him this year but prior to this season I'd watched a lot of Phantoms games after he came over. He has all the physical tools, just needed to get things straight in his head. From what I've been reading that seems to be happening this year.

I also agree that he will benefit from the increased structure and skill of the NHL.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I see a lot here are down on Robert Hagg, and understandable with how last year went. But honestly, he's looking a lot better this year & appears to be getting back on track. We had this on Hagg during the holiday break in our 'Seven Days of Christmas' feature series: http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/12/hagg-heading-in-right-direction.html

Thank you for that.

I have noticed Haggs improvement this year and I think he is back on track to being an NHL defensemen.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
The only time I've seen Hagg on the Phantoms (I really haven't seen the Phantoms since they came to Lehigh) was when he briefly played in Glens Falls.
He looked very good next to Ghost actually, I didn't think he had an issue with that lackadaisical approach that people have dogged him about. Hextall, Pryor, and I believe Homer were in the arena watching because it was Ghosts' first game after winning with Union and signing his pro contract.

I thought Hagg looked very composed for a teenager playing in a foreign country for the first time. I was higher on Hagg when the only D prospects were he, Morin, and Ghost though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem for Hagg is he's been on a normal development pattern for a young defensemen (he's at the age where most players are in their 2nd AHL season) but they've added so much talent (Morin, Sanheim, Myers) that he keep sliding down the prospect ladder. Tough for him but good for the organization.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think Hagg has looked better this year. No doubt about it. But I still don't like his game, which has always been my worry. I think his weaknesses and any causes for concern are a bit too easily brushed off with blaming AHL "systems." Jumping to the NHL, a path strewn with the carcasses of AHL guys who couldn't handle the rigors, is always significantly harder, not easier. If I worry how you think the game at the AHL level, if I see questionable decision making and at times looking lost and unsure of what to do, which will mask itself as that "passive" style he plays (because it's not laziness or an effort thing), then I'm less optimistic in my projections. A couple people described it well earlier when they said that they don't know what he actually does well. He'll make nice plays now and again, but often it just feels like he exists, and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad