Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Dec.-Jan. edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Looking at their roster. Kelowna seems to be underachieving. You'd think they would have been a higher scoring team with the guys they have. They acquired Reid Gardiner as an overager earlier in the week too so I suppose you very well could see things change.

Underachieving a little but still a lot better than Calgary. Dube who is arguably their best player has missed most of the year too.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Can't wait to see him in some junior action. It's sucked having a 1st rounder who plays in a shroud of mystery. These've been some tough years to live through and this is the kind of stuff everyone here's been holding on to for a while lol.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Chicoutimi could always trade Rubtsov if he's back next year. They're kind of taking their shot this year so I'm sure they'd like to have a chance to recoup some picks/prospects that they spent this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Remember when people said Sarnia trading for Konecny meant he would be back in Junior in 16-17 because they wouldn't trade for just half a year of him?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
London's loading up for a run. They acquired Mitchell Stephens, Mitchell Vande Sompel, & Dante Salituro today. Kitchener is appartently trading Bracco to Windsor & its looking like they did a poor job of maximizing an asset if the rumored return is true. Erie acquired Anthony Cirelli from Oshawa earlier in the day too.

London didn't have to give up Thomas, Formenton, Bouchard, or Foudy to acquire those guys so they still have pieces in place to still do something next year as well. So not a lot of pleased fans of other teams around the league. :laugh:

Remember when people said Sarnia trading for Konecny meant he would be back in Junior in 16-17 because they wouldn't trade for just half a year of him?

Ottawa was fortunate to trade him before they got left with nothing. They've seen that story too many times in the past.

Last edited:

TonyAndrock

Oct 26, 2013
Though unlikely to happen right away, I think it's worth noting that German Rubtsov is eligible to join the Flyers' AHL affiliate in Lehigh Valley as soon as this season if he's signed to an entry level contract. http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2017/01/flyers-prospect-rubtsov-actually-ahl.html

EDITED: Obviously the plan for now appears to be QMJHL this season. Possible he joins Phantoms on an amateur tryout (ATO) after his Q season ends as to not burn a year off a potential ELC. I wouldn't doubt he begins 2017-18 in the AHL though if he adjusts well to North American ice and gets a little more physically mature over the summer.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

People said that?

Because if you really break down that deal, it sure seemed like they expected him to go to the NHL

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was traded along with OA Sam Studnicka, & a third round pick for Alexander Chmelevski, Chase Campbell, 3 second rounders, 3 third rounders, & 2 fifth rounders. There were 2 conditional second rounders attached based on whether he would be back this year or not.

You can't trade first rounders in the OHL so that's not exactly cheap for a half of season for Konecny in which they lost in the first round.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I speculated about it. That trade made no sense for Sarnia last year. And it blew up in their face when they lost Konecny, Zacha, and Chychrun this year.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I speculated about it. That trade made no sense for Sarnia last year. And it blew up in their face when they lost Konecny, Zacha, and Chychrun this year.

They might not have expected Zacha and Chychrun to go. They could've used more time in juniors, no?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They might not have expected Zacha and Chychrun to go. They could've used more time in juniors, no?

Zacha I think they expected to be in the NHL. I think they thought there was a decent chance to get Konecny back. No way they thought they were losing Chychrun.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Zacha was playing NHL games towards the end of the year last year. They drafted & signed two imports this summer. Filip Helt who was a Blues draft pick & Adam Ruzicka who's a draft eligible who had some clout heading into the year. So I think they pretty much felt or knew that the chances of Zacha coming back was pretty slim.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
After watching him in the WJC, I think the last thing flyers fan want to see is his potential offensive game smothered by playing a checking role in NHL or AHL. I think playing the Q two years will do wonders for his overall game. He is similar to Couts and Laughton in that his defensive instincts are there.

Didn't get a chance to see him play. I agree that we need to take our time with guys. Just a matter if that time is in the Q or AHL.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Well, crap.

I've enjoyed coming to these boards to share updates over the last few years but the Flyers no longer have any prospects with the Hitmen. I suppose I'll need to go back to lurking for my inside info on Sanheim and Fazleev.

Twarynski is much better off in Kelowna - the Hitmen are objectively terrible this year and shipping out Twarynski (and Stallard) further cement that. It's an alright trade both ways - Kelowna gets better (especially considering the addition of Reid Gardiner) and Calgary gets a solid player for next year.

Hopefully the Flyers return to Calgary in this year's draft - we don't have much to offer at the top end but a handful of project players looking to be picked in the 4th/5th/6th rounds. Watch out for Vladislav Yeryomenko as a deep sleeper in this draft - he's a late import player, still learning English, and I could see him taking a big step forward next year. Plus, the Flyers have found success drafting defencemen from the CHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Here's an interesting quote from Friedman's recent 30 thoughts column:
23. After the world juniors are over, I reached out to four or five scouts/execs and asked if anyone shot up or down based on their performance. One of them hopped up on the soapbox before agreeing to the request. “From a scouting perspective, this is an overrated tournament,†he said. “You get a two-week snapshot, and the media play it up. No team is making its decision solely based on this. You watch a player for two years, get your full picture. Sometimes I feel terribly for kids who shine here, because in the public’s eyes, you can only go down.†He mentioned Justin Pogge as someone who suffered from this.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-avalanche-coyotes-setting-high-prices-trade-talks/

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Well, crap.

I've enjoyed coming to these boards to share updates over the last few years but the Flyers no longer have any prospects with the Hitmen. I suppose I'll need to go back to lurking for my inside info on Sanheim and Fazleev.

Twarynski is much better off in Kelowna - the Hitmen are objectively terrible this year and shipping out Twarynski (and Stallard) further cement that. It's an alright trade both ways - Kelowna gets better (especially considering the addition of Reid Gardiner) and Calgary gets a solid player for next year.

Hopefully the Flyers return to Calgary in this year's draft - we don't have much to offer at the top end but a handful of project players looking to be picked in the 4th/5th/6th rounds. Watch out for Vladislav Yeryomenko as a deep sleeper in this draft - he's a late import player, still learning English, and I could see him taking a big step forward next year. Plus, the Flyers have found success drafting defencemen from the CHL.

Lurk away for ex-Hitmen news, but feel free to post updates on other Flyers' prospects when the play in Calgary!

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Good to see a Twarynski trade. He's a support type player and there's lots in Kelowna to support. His season relative to draft position has been pretty much useless to now. Hopefully he builds on some identity.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I was just doing a quick search through some SHL stats and I noticed that not only is Lindblom 3rd in the league in scoring but he's doing it while playing less than 16 minutes a game. There are only 3 other players in the SHL top 20 scoring playing under 16 minutes (2 of the 3 are on his team). It's even more impressive considering he's only 20 years old while nobody else in the top 20 is under 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad