Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Autumn 2016 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooblus Dooizfour

Nov 5, 2016
I've been lurking for years and I am very impressed with a lot of posters here. Definitely the most accurate and knowledgeable Flyers info out there. So before I start I would like to thank you all for keeping me informed with all things Flyers for many years. I'm not much of a writer but since I was at the game last night I thought I would break down, register, and post my thoughts. With that being said, I didn't get home until midnight, had to get up for work at 4AM, just now got home, and my brain is mush.

The first thing, which has already been discussed ad nauseam---Gordon is an idiot! His lineup choices aside, there is no discernible system in play. It was like watching pond hockey. The breakout is non-existent, neutral zone play was erratic at best, and when they did try and enter the attack zone they were forced wide rather easily.

Rinaldo didn't disappoint!! He was absolutely useless. With all the great things Hextall has done, getting a 3rd round pick for this ass clown just may be his finest work. I was hoping to see Goulbourne kick his ass but unfortunately he didn't dress for the game. Since I'm going again on the 18th, there is still hope.

I'm going to attribute some of my frustration to Gordon and his complete lack of tactics and common sense, but I really wanted to see more out of some of the kids.

This was the first live action I've seen of Sanheim. I am giving him a pass since he is young, was playing the right side, and in case I haven't already mentioned this, Gordon is an idiot! He looked timid out there and had numerous defensive lapses. Hell, on one play, he was just playing around with a guy in the corner while the P-Bruins were scoring a goal in front of the net. He just left Morin, and the rest of his team out to dry. My expectations were tempered and I knew he was young and still learning, but I was hoping to see some glimpses of what he WILL become, but it just never happened. He saw some PP time but even there left me disappointed. He lost the puck at the blue line several times, made some bad passes, and took to long to shoot when the opportunity arose. He just couldn't seem to create any room for himself. What really surprised me was seeing him out there on the PK. As much as I like Sanheim, he is probably the worst defensive defenseman on the team---it could be more stupidity out of Gordon, but maybe this is Hextalls influence to develop his all around game. I felt bad for the kid, he just didn't have a good night.

Morin is a beast. Explosive first step for a big man. He was pretty solid positionally and knew where to go most of the time, but he too gave the puck away numerous times. Too often chipped the puck off the boards in lieu of a good solid pass to a breaking winger (but again, this is probably Gordons doing). Clears the front of the net well and doesn't take **** from anyone. He just looks more confident and seems to understand the game better than when I saw him last year.

Stolarz- Great game for him. Played really well positionally and has great lateral movement and a quick glove

NAK - Since I was behind the other goal I didn't see his goal, but what I did see---
He is not as fast as I had hoped
He gets pushed off the puck easily along the boards
Still hopeful though

Laughton- Doesn't have his legs yet and doesn't have his game back either. Hopefully he stays put for a month or so to regain his form

Fazleev- Didn't notice him much which could be good

Haag- The best defenseman on the ice. Very sound positionally. Made a beautiful play on an odd man rush. Didn't over commit and then didn't chase and stayed in his lane and broke up what would have been a secondary scoring chance

Miele- Best player on the ice. Had a couple big hits and made things happen

Conner- Solid game with a standout shift on the PK. Skated around the whole team twice and almost scored. Still able to get off the ice before the play transitioned.

Since it took longer to register than I anticipated. This was for the game on the 4th against the P-Bruins.

Thanks again everyone for all your years of research and posting to keep misplaced Flyers fans like myself informed

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Leier from O'Neill and Sanheim tie it. Then Colin McDonald immediately scores to take the lead late

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They still got outshot 44 to 34 despite having 7 PP's to Springfield's 3.
While trailing most of the game. 3/7 on the PP. Added an empty netter. Still struggling 5v5. Martel's goal was a brutal giveaway by their defender right in front of the net.

Greg Carey has an absolute bazooka of a shot, but you usually don't hear from him until the powerplay.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Christ....I go to AHL.com to see the Boxscore, and AMacDonald is staring at me...they have a write up on him on the main page.

Someone could have warned me.

:rant:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
While trailing most of the game. 3/7 on the PP. Added an empty netter. Still struggling 5v5. Martel's goal was a brutal giveaway by their defender right in front of the net.

Greg Carey has an absolute bazooka of a shot, but you usually don't hear from him until the powerplay.

I'm guessing typical Phantoms game? Efficient on the PP & good goaltending from Stolarz to hold down the fort elsewhere?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm guessing typical Phantoms game? Efficient on the PP & good goaltending from Stolarz to hold down the fort elsewhere?
Yeah. Stolarz made some really big saves in that first period to keep them in the game.

Morin was getting involved offensively. It was good to see. Even stepped into a few slappers. He kind of took that out of his arsenal last year, but he still has a bomb.

"He's yours for the next month"

Scott's been pretty quiet outside of a nice dangle yesterday.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah. Stolarz made some really big saves in that first period to keep them in the game.

Morin was getting involved offensively. It was good to see. Even stepped into a few slappers. He kind of took that out of his arsenal last year, but he still has a bomb.

"He's yours for the next month"

Scott's been pretty quiet outside of a nice dangle yesterday.

is morin's windup still exaggerated and time consuming or has been able to shorten it and make it quicker?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We have so many forwards floating around, I am fine if Laughton is kept in the AHL to get confidence and icetime.

Maybe Hextall was talking to Gordon about player usage.

:sarcasm:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Christ....I go to AHL.com to see the Boxscore, and AMacDonald is staring at me...they have a write up on him on the main page.

Someone could have warned me.

:rant:

:laugh:

Did you read the article title? "After AHL demotion, Andrew MacDonald focused on sticking with the Flyers"....who wants to be the one to tell the writer?

(I should have read further. The writer gives an honest assessment of his season in the NHL so far)

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm dying!

A 2016 Calder Cup finalist, whose mid-November recall to the Flyers’ coincided with their rise into the playoff picture, Gostisbhere also found himself learning from the intense nutrition regiment of his on-ice partner. “He’s got all these beet powders, crazy stuff I’ve tried,” Gostisbehere says. “That’s his thing. He’s the beet man.”

He sure is.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'd equate it to Byron Leftwich throwing a football.

That Akron game is still the most absurd thing I have ever seen on a football field.

Wanting to understand why he busted was how I got motivated to learn how to really scout players.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That Akron game is still the most absurd thing I have ever seen on a football field.

Wanting to understand why he busted was how I got motivated to learn how to really scout players.

I'm getting old. That was 14 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. I became a huge Leftwich fan after that GMAC bowl game the year before against ECU. I don't know how Leftwich made it as far as he did with that release. He could throw a football through a brick wall which helped, but man he had some horrible mechanics. It looked like something you'd see on the playground.

Marshall did a documentary of that season:

Sorry about taking this OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: