Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Autumn 2016 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yup. He's was good under Terry Murray for 5 games before he blew out his knee. Got off to a slow start under Gordon last year even while getting spoon fed minutes with AMac. Had his best game of the year with Hextall in the building and got called up the next day. Never went back.

Yeah it's a little disappointing, especially when you look around the league and see less talented guys playing key roles on their teams and producing- top pair, 1st PP etc. I mean today our 5th and 6th defenseman were first round picks in consecutive years!!! One was arguably the best defenseman on the team last year. He doesn't sniff the powerplay. The other gets two shifts on the PP a game and can't get on the ice in late game situations no matter what the situation is, despite being arguably the best two-way defenseman on the team the first two weeks of the season. And just think these two will probably be the ones considered for a callup if needed this year.

Two of the 3 forwards you could consider prospects (Fazleev and Aube-Kubel) played on the fourth line today. I want to believe this is just a strategy of easing in young kids in to the lineup, but I don't really believe that to be the case.

The main reason I wanted Morin and Sanheim together was so that the minutes could be better spread to the guys who need/deserve them, but nope. Brennan is still the #1 and he needed a babysitter so Willcox is getting 20+ minutes a night. Reece Willcox who would be in the ECHL if Alt didn't get hurt!! Will O'Neill was an AHL allstar last year and he's making a lot of money so he is going to get his minutes. And penalties are handed out like candy in the AHL so that jumbles up the pairings and it takes half a period for them to get sorted out so they lose time that way as well.

This was the 1st PP unit today:
A:
#7 Mark Zengerle
#13 Colin McDonald
#23 Taylor Leier
#40 Jordan Weal
#43 T.J. Brennan

B:
#10 Greg Carey
#21 Andy Miele
#22 Chris Conner
#40 Jordan Weal
#43 T.J. Brennan

He has this weird powerplay rotation going on that I cant figure out, but outside of maybe Weal and Leier, none of those guys are going to see meaningful games in the NHL this year and none of them are playing on the powerplay in the NHL. So if they need to recall someone who is going to play a role on the powerplay like Gostisbehere last year, they aren't getting enough reps in the AHL.

Sanheim should be on the 1st powerplay. He needs those reps. NAK should be as well, but I'll just take him getting a shift on the powerplay to start. Those are the only two guys sniffing an NHL powerplay in the future. Surround them with veterans and play them. You can probably throw Martel in as well but he is a longer shot (and hurt now).

Makes no sense at all. Part of the reason these guys aren't on the flyers is because if they were they would be getting **** minutes. How sanhiem is not on a pp is beyond me.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Makes no sense at all. Part of the reason these guys aren't on the flyers is because if they were they would be getting **** minutes. How sanhiem is not on a pp is beyond me.

And the worst part is that this is the biggest chunk of the most critical part of our organization right now. We can live with the goaltending errors and the defensive mistakes at the NHL level at the moment because our window isn't really open just yet. We have drafted so well and we need these players ready to bounce up and join our charge when the window blows open next year or the following year. We can't have their development hobbled by a neanderthal giving them stone axes when they need steel.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Don't get the Wilcox hate there... can keep saying he doesn't deserve his minutes due to his draft status but by most accounts he looks very good playing 20+ minutes a game. Instead of saying he shouldn't be getting the minutes but Morin/Sanhiem should be, we should be happy a late round pick looks good as a rookie in the AHL while playing tough minutes with a defensive partner who can't play defense.

Zero reason to hate on Wilcox because Gordon doesn't want to play Sanhiem/Morin more minutes. In the end Wilcox is playing tougher minutes then those two and doing a very good job. Give credit where it is due.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What seems crazy to me is that in the few games I have watched it is the kids playing the sensible, pro game and the vets deciding they are in junior and just playing fire-wagon hockey.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Without actual ice time numbers it's hard to really judge. I agree with sa cyred that Willcox looking like a legitimate prospect is a genuinely good thing.

Morin and Sanheim are such obvious replacements for Schultz and Streit that it's hard for me to be worried about them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
What seems crazy to me is that in the few games I have watched it is the kids playing the sensible, pro game and the vets deciding they are in junior and just playing fire-wagon hockey.
Which makes no long term sense. The Phantoms should be using the same system as the Flyers have. Thats when they come up to Philly, there is less of an adjustment to be made. Its what made Sullivan's move to Pittsburgh so successful last year. When he came up, there were few adjustments that had to be made in Pitt and also with the minor leaguers that he brought with him.
I get that the Flyers want to have the Phantoms make it into the POs and that signing these top FA AHL guys makes that more probable. However the systems of play is an issue. Like Appleyard writes, playing fire wagon hockey with the vets doesn't help the young guys develop.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Which makes no long term sense. The Phantoms should be using the same system as the Flyers have. Thats when they come up to Philly, there is less of an adjustment to be made. Its what made Sullivan's move to Pittsburgh so successful last year. When he came up, there were few adjustments that had to be made in Pitt and also with the minor leaguers that he brought with him.
I get that the Flyers want to have the Phantoms make it into the POs and that signing these top FA AHL guys makes that more probable. However the systems of play is an issue. Like Appleyard writes, playing fire wagon hockey with the vets doesn't help the young guys develop.

It's potentially a huge problem, or at least a huge missed opportunity. I trust Hexy to get it sorted one way or another. He is just too careful in minding details to miss the issue here.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
Maybe the Phantoms are spoon feeding what our young guns have to do at this point in the season. If they're still getting no PP time come Feb March then there is an issue.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't get the Wilcox hate there... can keep saying he doesn't deserve his minutes due to his draft status but by most accounts he looks very good playing 20+ minutes a game. Instead of saying he shouldn't be getting the minutes but Morin/Sanhiem should be, we should be happy a late round pick looks good as a rookie in the AHL while playing tough minutes with a defensive partner who can't play defense.

Zero reason to hate on Wilcox because Gordon doesn't want to play Sanhiem/Morin more minutes. In the end Wilcox is playing tougher minutes then those two and doing a very good job. Give credit where it is due.

Here we go. Questioning personnel decisions means someone is hating on your boy. :laugh:

He's playing a lot of minutes but that doesn't necessarily mean they are "tougher" minutes. Playing with Brennan = Offensive zone starts. Whoever plays with Morin generally gets the most defensive zone starts. I think I counted one OZ start for the Morin-Sanheim pair last night.

Even while playing with Brennan for half the season and all of those minutes he is still pointless and has 5 SOG. So let's pump the brakes a bit. He's tall and right handed, defends well, and he's what you could call a "low maintenance" player, but he's a 0 offensively, so I don't see how he's any better than Mark Alt, who has one career NHL game to his name.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Here we go. Questioning personnel decisions means someone is hating on your boy. :laugh:

He's playing a lot of minutes but that doesn't necessarily mean they are "tougher" minutes. Playing with Brennan = Offensive zone starts. Whoever plays with Morin generally gets the most defensive zone starts. I think I counted one OZ start for the Morin-Sanheim pair last night.

Even while playing with Brennan for half the season and all of those minutes he is still pointless and has 5 SOG. So let's pump the brakes a bit. He's tall and right handed, defends well, and he's what you could call a "low maintenance" player, but he's a 0 offensively, so I don't see how he's any better than Mark Alt, who has one career NHL game to his name.

Yeah I agree. Honestly my patience for Gordon is running thin fast. He was a bad coach last season and now again being a bad coach.

I don't care about what Gordon thinks is best at all. We know what his job is, to win AND develop young talent. When you don't put a potential top pairing offensive Dman on the powerplay, you're being negligent. This makes me appreciate Terry Murry so much more. He knew how to get more out of young players and understood he was preparing them for the NHL. It seems to me that Gordon is trying to get an NHL job, not get Sanheim and Morin ready for the NHL.

The fact that Sanheim isn't getting PP time is insulting. And to be honest, my instincts tell me Hextall is thinking the same thing. If Gordon continues this and does not improve his player development, he's gone. I could have a winning record with that lineup, do your job Gordon.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
To be clear, Sanheim is getting powerplay time, it's just not very much for a guy with his pedigree. Brennan is getting about 1:30 of every 2 minute powerplay. I'm not saying Brennan shouldn't be getting PP time, but why can't they play together?

The funny part is these veterans are getting preferential treatment because of their AHL resumes. If he gives these young kids a chance I think he might be surprised that they could accomplish the same, if not more, since they actually have raw NHL talent.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah I agree. Honestly my patience for Gordon is running thin fast. He was a bad coach last season and now again being a bad coach.

I don't care about what Gordon thinks is best at all. We know what his job is, to win AND develop young talent. When you don't put a potential top pairing offensive Dman on the powerplay, you're being negligent. This makes me appreciate Terry Murry so much more. He knew how to get more out of young players and understood he was preparing them for the NHL. It seems to me that Gordon is trying to get an NHL job, not get Sanheim and Morin ready for the NHL.

The fact that Sanheim isn't getting PP time is insulting. And to be honest, my instincts tell me Hextall is thinking the same thing. If Gordon continues this and does not improve his player development, he's gone. I could have a winning record with that lineup, do your job Gordon.

I really don't buy the idea that the AHL coach is going against what the GM wants. If Hextall wanted Sanheim on the top PP to start this year or Morin on the PP last year, it would have happened.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Hextall stays out of the coaches way when it comes to these things. I doubt he's calling him up and trying to influence the lineups, which is biggest thing a coach is responsible for.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe Hextall doesnt want to give the kids "too much, too soon" and wants to ease them into bigger roles as the season progresses?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Maybe Hextall doesnt want to give the kids "too much, too soon" and wants to ease them into bigger roles as the season progresses?

You can't seriously think GM has a say in players ice time? Outside of maybe Ken Holland I doubt any gm does.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hextall would just seem like a micro-manager if 8 games into the season he starts telling Gordon what to do. He is probably waiting to see if it adjusts on itself. It's still early, and he could feel that Gordon is letting them get their feet wet in the AHL first before giving the rookies more of a role. But he isn't letting Gordon float in the wind to do whatever he likes. If some time passes and Hextall wants some things addressed, he'll get them addressed. He hired the coach because he trusts the coach to do the job. He's not beating down the door barking orders a few weeks into the season.

HighOFFHockey

Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I really don't buy the idea that the AHL coach is going against what the GM wants. If Hextall wanted Sanheim on the top PP to start this year or Morin on the PP last year, it would have happened.

And you don't buy that why? You think Coaches and GM's always see eye to eye? Did Berube not get fired for the way he used his players?
Listen man, I truly believe Gordon is on his way out if he doesn't change. Riding your top veterans is nice and all, but that's not what he's been hired for. If Sanheim isn't elevated by the end of the season Gordon's job is on the line. Book it.

Putting Morin on the PP is nowhere near the same as putting Sanheim on the PP. It would be more like Morin not playing the PK.

Sanheim has a very similar skillset to Ghost. No one else noticed that Ghost played much better under hakstol than he did under Gordon? That's not a coincidence.

HighOFFHockey

Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Hextall would just seem like a micro-manager if 8 games into the season he starts telling Gordon what to do. He is probably waiting to see if it adjusts on itself. It's still early, and he could feel that Gordon is letting them get their feet wet in the AHL first before giving the rookies more of a role. But he isn't letting Gordon float in the wind to do whatever he likes. If some time passes and Hextall wants some things addressed, he'll get them addressed. He hired the coach because he trusts the coach to do the job. He's not beating down the door barking orders a few weeks into the season.

I don't disagree with this at all, but Gordon pulled **** like this last season too. I agree, Hextall is patient and he will wait, but if there is no progress I can't see him staying. He's handling the future of the franchise at this point. Hextall isn't telling him how to do his job, but he has expectations. We all know how much he believes in youth development. That's why he wanted to keep Murry, that's why he brought in Hakstol.

Double shifting veterans on both PP's is asaniaing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And you don't buy that why? You think Coaches and GM's always see eye to eye? Did Berube not get fired for the way he used his players?
Listen man, I truly believe Gordon is on his way out if he doesn't change. Riding your top veterans is nice and all, but that's not what he's been hired for. If Sanheim isn't elevated by the end of the season Gordon's job is on the line. Book it.

Putting Morin on the PP is nowhere near the same as putting Sanheim on the PP. It would be more like Morin not playing the PK.

Sanheim has a very similar skillset to Ghost. No one else noticed that Ghost played much better under hakstol than he did under Gordon? That's not a coincidence.

I don't buy it because a GM like Hextall has infintely more power than the AHL coach. If he is not happy about how players are being used he will intervene. You're projecting what you believe about Gordon on to Hextall based on nothing but wishful thinking.

Ghost was mediocre coming off his injury in training camp for the Flyers and with the Phantoms to start the season. Nothing to do with the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad