Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Autumn 2016 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I see Petr Straka is still sitting in the press box wasting away, and will probably not see the ice anytime soon, with Knight and Goulbourne ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

Hextall should either assign Straka to ECHL for playing time, or put Petr Straka on loan to his former club in the Czech Republic, HC Škoda Plzeň of the Czech Extraliga, instead of letting him rot in the press box.

The kids only 24 years old and Coach Gordon is not giving him any chance to play, this has to shatter any kinda confidence Straka might of had coming into this season with the Phantoms.

Last season Petr Straka played in 64 games had 19G, 18A for 37Pts +5, tied for 4th in points last season for Phantoms, seems like he was starting to get on a roll at the end of last season and was playing with a lot of consistency, also had a decent season for what it was, but if you ask me this is very poor mismanagement of a prospect that is in the late stages of his development that was progressing in the last two seasons in Lehigh Valley.

Why did Hextall even resign Straka just to have him sit in the press box all season, if isn't going to play assign him somewhere or trade him for something.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I see Petr Straka is still sitting in the press box wasting away, and will probably not see the ice anytime soon, with Knight and Goulbourne ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

Hextall should either assign Straka to ECHL for playing time, or put Petr Straka on loan to his former club in the Czech Republic, HC Å koda Plzeň of the Czech Extraliga, instead of letting him rot in the press box.

The kids only 24 years old and Coach Gordon is not giving him any chance to play, this has to shatter any kinda confidence Straka might of had coming into this season with the Phantoms.

Last season Petr Straka played in 64 games had 19G, 18A for 37Pts +5, tied for 4th in points last season for Phantoms, seems like he was starting to get on a roll at the end of last season and was playing with a lot of consistency, also had a decent season for what it was, but if you ask me this is very poor mismanagement of a prospect that is in the late stages of his development that was progressing in the last two seasons in Lehigh Valley.

Why did Hextall even resign Straka just to have him sit in the press box all season, if isn't going to play assign him somewhere or trade him for something.

Straka doesn't have a future in the NHL, that was abundantly clear even last year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If he doesn't belong could the Flyers trade him for another prospect of equal value.

He basically has no value, so we would be trading him for another prospect with no value, which would be pointless.

I feel like you are frustrated right now, like we all are, and to deal with it you are looking to the future (like your post about the draft in the other thread) and the things we could do to get ourselves out of this mess - in other words, what action we can take to respond to this funk. I get that and I don't blame you, but I honestly think the only thing we can really do at this point is wait for one of the goaltenders (and that includes Stolie) to snap out of it or claim the #1 spot with authority. Everything else (Scott F. Gordon aside) is moving along either nicely or, in terms of our top two lines, way better than nicely.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
He basically has no value, so we would be trading him for another prospect with no value, which would be pointless.

I feel like you are frustrated right now, like we all are, and to deal with it you are looking to the future (like your post about the draft in the other thread) and the things we could do to get ourselves out of this mess - in other words, what action we can take to respond to this funk. I get that and I don't blame you, but I honestly think the only thing we can really do at this point is wait for one of the goaltenders (and that includes Stolie) to snap out of it or claim the #1 spot with authority. Everything else (Scott F. Gordon aside) is moving along either nicely or, in terms of our top two lines, way better than nicely.

Your right the loss tonite really got to me, that usually doesn't happen. Hopefully someone takes charge in net soon, I know this team is better then what the results have been.
I know their in a funk right now, and I would hope they wake up and make an effort to push for a spot in the playoffs this season.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany

Hextall should either assign Straka to ECHL for playing time, or put Petr Straka on loan to his former club in the Czech Republic, HC Å koda Plzeň of the Czech Extraliga, instead of letting him rot in the press box.

Two things.

At first, Straka can refuse to play in the ECHL as he is in his fourth pro season. Straka may prefer sitting in the press box and being around the AHL team (and Lehigh's facilities) to playing in the ECHL.

And secondly I think Hextall offered Straka only the qualifying offer, the minimum he had to offer to keep the rights, kind of Hextall's stance to not lose an asset for nothing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought Fazleev might get healthy scratched with all the depth they have, but I think he's played every game, and he's mostly stayed at center based on Tony's lines.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Could our regular Phantoms viewers please give us an update on Hagg. I can't find the post now, but I thought I read that he was doing better this season.

EDIT: Found it, but it just talks about one game (which I also appreciate):

Haag- The best defenseman on the ice. Very sound positionally. Made a beautiful play on an odd man rush. Didn't over commit and then didn't chase and stayed in his lane and broke up what would have been a secondary scoring chance

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been lurking for years and I am very impressed with a lot of posters here. Definitely the most accurate and knowledgeable Flyers info out there. So before I start I would like to thank you all for keeping me informed with all things Flyers for many years. I'm not much of a writer but since I was at the game last night I thought I would break down, register, and post my thoughts. With that being said, I didn't get home until midnight, had to get up for work at 4AM, just now got home, and my brain is mush.

The first thing, which has already been discussed ad nauseam---Gordon is an idiot! His lineup choices aside, there is no discernible system in play. It was like watching pond hockey. The breakout is non-existent, neutral zone play was erratic at best, and when they did try and enter the attack zone they were forced wide rather easily.

Rinaldo didn't disappoint!! He was absolutely useless. With all the great things Hextall has done, getting a 3rd round pick for this ass clown just may be his finest work. I was hoping to see Goulbourne kick his ass but unfortunately he didn't dress for the game. Since I'm going again on the 18th, there is still hope.

I'm going to attribute some of my frustration to Gordon and his complete lack of tactics and common sense, but I really wanted to see more out of some of the kids.

This was the first live action I've seen of Sanheim. I am giving him a pass since he is young, was playing the right side, and in case I haven't already mentioned this, Gordon is an idiot! He looked timid out there and had numerous defensive lapses. Hell, on one play, he was just playing around with a guy in the corner while the P-Bruins were scoring a goal in front of the net. He just left Morin, and the rest of his team out to dry. My expectations were tempered and I knew he was young and still learning, but I was hoping to see some glimpses of what he WILL become, but it just never happened. He saw some PP time but even there left me disappointed. He lost the puck at the blue line several times, made some bad passes, and took to long to shoot when the opportunity arose. He just couldn't seem to create any room for himself. What really surprised me was seeing him out there on the PK. As much as I like Sanheim, he is probably the worst defensive defenseman on the team---it could be more stupidity out of Gordon, but maybe this is Hextalls influence to develop his all around game. I felt bad for the kid, he just didn't have a good night.

Morin is a beast. Explosive first step for a big man. He was pretty solid positionally and knew where to go most of the time, but he too gave the puck away numerous times. Too often chipped the puck off the boards in lieu of a good solid pass to a breaking winger (but again, this is probably Gordons doing). Clears the front of the net well and doesn't take **** from anyone. He just looks more confident and seems to understand the game better than when I saw him last year.

Stolarz- Great game for him. Played really well positionally and has great lateral movement and a quick glove

NAK - Since I was behind the other goal I didn't see his goal, but what I did see---
He is not as fast as I had hoped
He gets pushed off the puck easily along the boards
Still hopeful though

Laughton- Doesn't have his legs yet and doesn't have his game back either. Hopefully he stays put for a month or so to regain his form

Fazleev- Didn't notice him much which could be good

Haag- The best defenseman on the ice. Very sound positionally. Made a beautiful play on an odd man rush. Didn't over commit and then didn't chase and stayed in his lane and broke up what would have been a secondary scoring chance

Miele- Best player on the ice. Had a couple big hits and made things happen

Conner- Solid game with a standout shift on the PK. Skated around the whole team twice and almost scored. Still able to get off the ice before the play transitioned.

Since it took longer to register than I anticipated. This was for the game on the 4th against the P-Bruins.

Thanks again everyone for all your years of research and posting to keep misplaced Flyers fans like myself informed

Thanks for the info there. I don't get to catch many of the Phantom games, living out in Pittsburgh, so any info like that is much appreciated. Welcome.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Flyers prospect stats from 4 nations tournament:

Vorobyov: 3gp, 0g, 3a, 3p, +2, 54.41% FO%
Kase: 3gp, 1g, 2a, 3p, +1
Högberg: 3gp, 1g, 1a, 2p, +2
Bernhardt: 3gp, 0g, 1a, 1p, +0
Sandström: 2gp, 2w, .898 sv%

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Pretty good showing by all.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pretty good showing by all.

Yeh.

Vorobyov and Kase were both on 1st line, PP1 and on PK rotation as well. (Kase was also captain)

Those two and Sandström are WJC locks.

They were seemingly giving Bernhardt a really good look as well, ofc he was on PP... but they also tried him on PK and played him with Gabriel Carlsson.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Is there replays of these games on YouTube or anything?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Weekly Prospect Update:
AHL
Taylor Leier - 9GP 1G 6A 7PTS 0
Travis Sanheim - 9GP 0G 6A 6PTS +2
Danick Martel - 6GP 4G 1A 5PTS +1
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 9GP 2G 1A 3PTS +3
Radel Fazleev - 9GP 0G 3A 3PTS +2
Samuel Morin - 9GP 0G 2A 2PTS -1
Cole Bardreau - 5GP 1G 0A 1PTS +3
Robert Hagg - 9GP 0G 1A 1PTS +1
Reece Willcox - 9GP 0G 0A 0PTS +2
Tyrell Goulbourne - 6GP 0G 0A 0PTS -1
Anthony Stolarz - 7GP 5-2-0 2.44GAA .928SV% 1SO
Alex Lyon - 2GP 0-1-1 4.97GAA .855SV% 0SO

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
Anthony Salintri - 16GP 8G 11A 19PTS -1
Connor Bunnaman - 15GP 7G 6A 13PTS -5
Samuel Dove-McFalls - 17GP 3G 7A 10PTS -2
Philippe Myers - 7G 3G 1A 4PTS +6
Pascal Laberge - 7GP 2G 2A 4PTS -2
Carsen Twarynski- 11GP 6G 0A 6PTS -2
Carter Hart - 13GP 9-2-1 1.89GAA .926SV% 1SO

Czech Extraliga
David Kase - 15GP 3G 4A 7PTS 0

KHL
Mikhail Vorobyov - 24GP 3G 6A 9PTS +5
German Rubtsov - 8GP 0G 0A 0PTS -2, 15GP 7G 8A 15PTS +2 (MHL)
Ivan Fedotov - DNP

NCAA
Tanner Laczynski - 9GP 3G 9A 12PTS +8
Wade Allison - 8GP 4G 2A 6PTS 0
Mark Friedman - 9GP 3G 2A 5PTS -3
Terrance Amorosa - 1GP 0G 2A 2PTS +1
David Drake - 5GP 1G 1A 2PTS +2
Merrick Madsen - 4GP 3-0-1 1.47GAA .931SV% 1SO
Cooper Marody - DNP
Matej Tomek - DNP

SHL
Oskar Lindblom - 14GP 5G 10A 15PTS +7
Linus Hogberg - 13GP 0G 1A 1PTS -3, 5GP 0G 4A 4PTS 0 (SuperElit)
David Bernhardt - 8GP 1G 2A 3PTS +1, 9GP 4G 8A 12PTS +4 (SuperElit)
Felix Sandstrom - 6GP 4-2-0 2.69GAA .882SV% 0SO

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Super Series starts tomorrow. Rubtsov is expected to be in the lineup. Should be a good setting to watch him in. Hart will most likely play tomorrow or Tuesday.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I can't wait for Stolarz to get here. I think he can be something special especially with that size

Agreed I also like the fact that he has improved his play every year. I hope he gets a call up this year and a few games. I think it's important to see what we may have with both mase and neuvirth free agents.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Watching the highlights of the past few games Carey's shot stands out. It's overpowering at that level.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Happy German Rubtsov Day, everyone.

Edit: Also, if anyone hears if Carter Hart is starting tonight or tomorrow, please post.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Per Bob Rotruck, Hagg did not skate today but should be fine after a puck cut him on the head on Saturday.

Miele missed practice with an unspecified injury.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Karnaukov is in contention... but likely for one of last few spots, partially as he plays wing and centre.

Rubtsov
Abramov
Korostolev
Alexeev
Kostin
Karnaukov
Popugaev
Kvartalnov
Belyaev
Trenin
Sokolov
Yurtakyin

Are likely the Fwds who are at super-series who could make team... the Four Nations squad this year was actually a lot weaker than in other years...

Vorobyov
Rubtsov
Alexeev
Kvartalnov
Karnaukhov
Zhukenov
Trenin

are really the only centres with a chance... likely 5/7 get taken.

I think Kostin will make the team too. He was awesome at U18 and Hlinka and is a big kid already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad