News Article: Phaneuf voted as "most overrated" by 30 NHL players

hockeyfanz*

But why are you getting so defensive?

How's that now? :help:

Defensive? I simply made an observation. There are many opinions on this board that I don't care to read...so I don't and I certainly don't wonder aloud what these opinions might be....At least D.O. is original and also rarely speaks the same rhetoric spewed by the masses because of what the media tells them. Like Don Cherry....I may not agree with the message but I respect that he speaks his mind even if he knows it goes against the grain.

EDDIE20*

Defensive? I simply made an observation. There are many opinions on this board that I don't care to read...so I don't and I certainly don't wonder aloud what these opinions might be....At least D.O. is original and also rarely speaks the same rhetoric spewed by the masses because of what the media tells them. Like Don Cherry....I may not agree with the message but I respect that he speaks his mind even if he knows it goes against the grain.

He's got his own rhetoric that he spews on a daily basis.

hockeyfanz*

But why are you getting so defensive?

How's that now? :help:

If you are asking how the Leafs D is now..I think I answered it in my post..didn't read the second sentence? One of the highest octane offensively gifted D corp in the league but actually still poor as far as defensive abilities go. Bottom half of the league perhaps?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Is Dion over rated?

Not in my eyes....I rate him as a very good D -man. I do not rate him as among the best in the NHL, but in the next group.

Far to many on this site think that he is an top of the heap D man and try to compare him to the best in the game and he simply is not there.

What prevents him from being elite is his skating and decision making, both prevent him from being among the best. His compete level and meanness keeps him in the next group.

He currently is our best D man and is a top pairing D man in the NHL....

hockeyfanz*

He's got his own rhetoric that he spews on a daily basis.

Well at least its HIS rhetoric and not that spoon fed to him and regurgitated by the masses. If I hear how good Bozak's chemistry is with Phil one more time I will vomit violently. That is the type of rhetoric that I speak of. And there are plenty more examples. Another example was how people used to love to cling on to the fact that Komisarek was a classy guy and "good in the room". More useless rhetoric for a player who barely has NHL ability.

There are tons more examples....cliches and rhetoric...that's what sports is.

n1ck13

Jul 28, 2013
You might want to change that to : Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated By 4 People in the entire NHL.

Yes it certainly did not have the makings of a classic AINEC HFBoard poll.

Yeah, I most definitely messed up the title, my fault. However, the whole point was to show just how ridiculous it is that I consistently see on here how overrated Dion is. Each year he wins this award for whatever reason, and some like to make it out that every NHLer thinks this and his being "overrated" is common knowledge. Most times the poll is just a joke like this one. I actually wonder considering the source... ESPN Bay Area, if they simply polled Sharks.

BayStreetBullies*

Well at least its HIS rhetoric and not that spoon fed to him and regurgitated by the masses. If I hear how good Bozak's chemistry is with Phil one more time I will vomit violently. That is the type of rhetoric that I speak of. And there are plenty more examples. Another example was how people used to love to cling on to the fact that Komisarek was a classy guy and "good in the room". More useless rhetoric for a player who barely has NHL ability.

There are tons more examples....cliches and rhetoric...that's what sports is.

I see, so rhetoric is admirable as long it's your own? :sarcasm:

And just for the record, D.O. is not original. He constantly refers to himself as "objective", "logical", etc. and he always thinks he's right. But really he makes judgments based on after the fact, yet makes claims to the contrary. Then boasts about how he was right all along, when really he suffers from the worst case of hindsight bias I've ever seen.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Don't really care what people think of him.

What he brings to the team is more then what people say, not sure how he gets tagged with over-rated.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
As I have said before, Phaneuf is one the most over-rated player, but he's also the most under-rated players too.

The many folks that keep saying he is a top-10 or top-15 defenseman are over-rating. The equally numerous folks that keep saying he's not a #1 are under-rating him.

Dion Phaneuf is definitely a capable #1 defenseman. I have a hard time taking anybody who ranks him lower than #30 on a ranking of defensemen seriously. On the other hand, he is not an ideal #1 defenseman, and having him in that spot means that position is a slight weakness on the team.

Plastis Wafer

Oct 7, 2013
Again? This is getting boring.

The vocal minority always get more attention than the less vocal majority, Hence why Phaneuf is always described as overrated, and to an extent Leaf fans being described as delusional due to a few dummies and an immense amount of trolls. These things just won't change, all good though.

13.3% of only 30 players? Wow, guess I'm convinced ESPN...

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I opened this thread thinking I would see posts from over a year ago. How is this recent? I could have sworn we had the same exact thread last year where has was voted for the same thing, or was that most hated?

Either way, Phaneuf has played elite so far in the first 3 games, he's played very very good I hope he can keep it up the rest of the season

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Yup, when the defense is actually working, it's almost as if we have 2 Phaneufs :o!!! Everyone always forgets about Gunnarsson, he covers a lot of Phaneuf's mishaps and he's probably the most underrated player on our team.. Gunnar plays an excellent defensive game he just can't do ANYTHING in the offensive zone.

EDDIE20*

I opened this thread thinking I would see posts from over a year ago. How is this recent? I could have sworn we had the same exact thread last year where has was voted for the same thing, or was that most hated?

Either way, Phaneuf has played elite so far in the first 3 games, he's played very very good I hope he can keep it up the rest of the season

ESPN has nothing better to do, that's why.

If they want to see what a true overrated defenceman looks like, they should review the OTT/TOR game from last Saturday. Karlsson was trash defensively (again and as usual).

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Now, I'm shady when it comes to knowing about stats and how they work, but according to some random online stats calculator, this poll has a confidence interval of 16.05. That means the answer to this question could have actually been 0%, or 29% of players polled saying Dion is "overrated". So between 0 and 9 guys.

For this to be accurate, you'd need to poll 323 out of the ~700 or so NHL players.

Dumb.

Plastis Wafer

Oct 7, 2013
ESPN has nothing better to do, that's why.

If they want to see what a true overrated defenceman looks like, they should review the OTT/TOR game from last Saturday. Karlsson was trash defensively (again and as usual).

You're correct that they don't have anything better to do, because getting hits on their site is pretty high up with their priorities, and anything that is both Leaf related and negative is usually a great recipe for such a thing.

EDDIE20*

You're correct that they don't have anything better to do, because getting hits on their site is pretty high up with their priorities, and anything that is both Leaf related and negative is usually a great recipe for such a thing.

Pretty much. Why ESPN actually cares for hockey is beyond me. It must be a hell of a slow news day for them to re-print the same damn poll.

BayStreetBullies*

The Leafs suck, that's a fact. Therefor, anything bad you say about them is entirely objective and accurate.

For example, Kessel is a Leaf. The Leafs are bad. Therefor, Kessel is bad.

Phaneuf is overrated and makes too many mistakes. At best, he is a #2 D on a Cup contender. If he wants to stay in Toronto, he should sign at a discount. However, his trade value is high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad