News Article: Phaneuf voted as "most overrated" by 30 NHL players

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Four of these players (was going to say cowards) picked Phaneuf...four (4). Two picked Lundqvist.

Nice poll ESPN.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
As ever with this poll, I fail to understand how someone who is constantly bashed and ridiculed can be overrated. I mean this is the same poll that just last year had Scott Gomez highly rated. How can anyone take that seriously?

Last edited:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Based on that survey its clear that the Leafs would make an epic mistake in signing this player. Hard to dispute ESPN, and the great coverage and relevance hockey has to this US station.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I think Dion just needs a new partner. I don't see what's so good about Gunnar. He is abysmal at clearing the zone since day one and he doesn't excel at any particular aspect. He's decent but replaceable and Phaneuf deserves better.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Only 30 players were asked?? How do you judge this shat based on asking only 30 players?? ESPN at it again.

It means 4 players of the 30 said Phaneuf. Even dumber, people were going on about Lundqvist because a whopping TWO players found him overrated. Not a big enough sample size for it to mean anything whatsoever.

I do like the 80% support for NHL players to actually do something to show support for gay rights in Sochi! It would be hilarious if Putin kicked all the NHL players out of Russia for putting a rainbow sticker on their helmets or something. I suggest Skittles be the sponsor of ALL the hockey teams at the Olympics!

SIX guys think their TEAMMATES are using PEDs. That is a little alarming if I am an NHL owner or sponsor. That is their teammates not their opponents, so it suggests they may actually know about it. Not what the NHL needs after Sprinting, Cycling and Baseball are now jokes due to PEDs.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
wow this survey is from espn? lol, they don't know **** about hockey. if this was published by tsn or sportsnet, then i'll believe it. espn has no credibility when it comes to hockey.

and these are based on 30 anonymous players? yea that's credible :shakehead

wulfio*

Nothing new here. Phaneuf has his fair share of detractors. i.e. Watters

No one has called him the best defenceman in the NHL, or even in the top 10, or has he has ever won the Norris, so I don't know how he is overrated?

If you ask me, after watching the ex Norris winner Karlsson the pylon last night perhaps they mixed up #55 for #3.

you must not read this board ever. because all the phaneuf fanboys say precisely that.

Mr Scarface*

Phaneuf is hated. This is what it really boils down to. No matter how well he plays, he will always be hated.

HF itself is a prime example.
Could be and if so, it often isn't a bad thing.

Imagine something so deep...... being motivated by hate. Motivated by the haters. It doesn't come deeper than that.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
you must not read this board ever. because all the phaneuf fanboys say precisely that.

Phaneuf is in the second tier of #1 dmen. Hes not an elite defenceman, but hes still damn good and is certainly capable of being a #1.

As for "top 10", thats widely subjective. There's a group of about 8 guys that are definitely "elite"(Chara, Weber, Suter, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Subban, Keith) but beyond that, its pretty wide open. You can definitely make an argument for Phaneuf being a top 10 D, though personally I have him more in the teens.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Why are you guys so riled by this? All I read on this board last year was **** Phaneuf, he's overrated, etc.

Now, he's had a good start to the year and all these players are idiots blah, blah, blah...

Certainly seems like you all have switched gears.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
wow this survey is from espn? lol, they don't know **** about hockey. if this was published by tsn or sportsnet, then i'll believe it. espn has no credibility when it comes to hockey.

and these are based on 30 anonymous players? yea that's credible
:shakehead

...because players would totally take this survery publicly.

C'mon, just think about it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The amount of times this comes up, he's actually underrated.

...because players would totally take this survery publicly.

C'mon, just think about it.

He's referring to the tiny sample size of 30 players, not the anonymous part.

Why are you guys so riled by this? All I read on this board last year was **** Phaneuf, he's overrated, etc.

Now, he's had a good start to the year and all these players are idiots blah, blah, blah...

The logical fan doesn't have an issue with this. It's 30 random players. Dion is a polarizing player on the ice. Does things that make you shake your head, then shuts down the opposing teams best players while chipping in a few points. Depends what time of the year you check in.

BayStreetBullies*

The logical fan doesn't have an issue with this. It's 30 random players. Dion is a polarizing player on the ice. Does things that make you shake your head, then shuts down the opposing teams best players while chipping in a few points. Depends what time of the year you check in.

The haters only show up after the Leafs lose. Then disappear when they win.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Jeff Blair (Globe and Mail, FAN 590) has talked about player surveys like this. I think he said that he had to hand out such surveys when he worked PR for the Expos. He said that some players sit and think about their answers like they care, while others simply seem to write down the first thing they think of. I can easily imagine that in this case, some player might say to himself "Well, the last poll like this said Dion Phaneuf was overrated, so I'll choose him" or similar logic.

In the end, I simply think that many players don't really think about these surveys the way fans would.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Phaneuf has had an excellent start to the season.

He's made big plays on D and on offence.

I think he's stopped looking to make the big hit all the time and is more focuses on playing his position.

Although I'd like to see him lay someone out Tuesday night. Preferably MacKinnon. Welcome to Toronto kid!

Maybe we can throw some waffles at Roy too (still a Hab in my eyes).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The most interesting thing about this poll is that 6 of the 30 players believe their teammates are taking PEDs. That's pretty strong evidence that there's plenty of PED use in the NHL.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
The one and only reason people put him in the category as the most overrated player in the league.....

1. Dion Phaneuf plays for the Maple Leafs. On any other team and someone else could win this stupid poll.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

The same guys defending Dion now are the same ones defending him last season. Not sure where you got this but you're way off base.

The most interesting thing about this poll is that 6 of the 30 players believe their teammates are taking PEDs. That's pretty strong evidence that there's plenty of PED use in the NHL.

Except it's not evidence at all. Maybe they do, but 6 anonymous players in some ESPN poll doesn't convince me.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Well i do agree espn know very little when it comes to hockey but you have to give them props when they finally get something right and they hit this one right on the nose.
Most overrated D-man in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad