News Article: Phaneuf voted as "most overrated" by 30 NHL players

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well the people who insist on putting Phaneuf up with the likes of Keith, Suter, Pietrangelo, etc, are overrating him. And thats something you still hear on a very regular basis around here.

Overrated does NOT mean bad. Guys like Yandle, Byfgulien, Edler, etc are GOOD hockey players, and thats more or less the company Id put Phaneuf in. So just because people think Phaneuf is overrated, doesnt mean they think he cant play a top pairing role on a contender. Just that he's not an elite franchise Dman who can be a top player on a contending team.

BayStreetBullies*

Just that he's not an elite franchise Dman who can be a top player on a contending team.

What if...the Leafs were a contending team?

shifty-eyes-o.gif

EDDIE20*

Honestly, why give a **** about what ESPN and these anonymous polls have to say?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The most interesting thing about this poll is that 6 of the 30 players believe their teammates are taking PEDs. That's pretty strong evidence that there's plenty of PED use in the NHL.

yeah but for hockey players, at least the canadian ones, PED's mean an icy cold Labatts Blue post game dressing room refreshment........so the numbers line-up for sure

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Phaneuf is in the second tier of #1 dmen. Hes not an elite defenceman, but hes still damn good and is certainly capable of being a #1.

As for "top 10", thats widely subjective. There's a group of about 8 guys that are definitely "elite"(Chara, Weber, Suter, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Subban, Keith) but beyond that, its pretty wide open. You can definitely make an argument for Phaneuf being a top 10 D, though personally I have him more in the teens.
Subban is not elite :laugh: if he is, then Mike Green is the 2nd best defencemen of all time :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Total B.S Dion has been a horse for us. Kind of embarrassing actually reading that garbage. NHL players may be looked upon as the most professional athletes and humble athletes in the world but they definitely are the dumbest.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The guy who is constantly bashed for being overpaid and having a low IQ is overrated? So he's even worse than overpaid with a low IQ? Like a real life, wealthy caveman?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I think at $4 million per year the vast majority of teams would take on Dion and his abilities.

Who wouldn't want a top line D-man at a discount? Obviously every team wants players cheaper.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
As long as he keeps playing this way, he could be the most overrated player in the universe and I still wouldn't give a ****.

The man is on a mission this year. In fact, he was the same last year for the first half. He started to wear down towards the end of the year from playing too much. I hope our young guys can show enough by the TDD so that we cut his minutes down and keep him fresh for the playoffs.

A fresh Phaneuf + playoff Gardiner can be a beastly pair.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Here is the link to the article.... http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...ly-realignment-peds-goalie-pads-espn-magazine

However, after reading the results... either players aren't too smart, or this poll stinks considering that the same 30 also came up with the incredible response that the team most helped by realignment is the Red Wings... and the team most hurt by realignment is the... RED WINGS

:shakehead

You might want to change that to : Phaneuf Voted Most Overrated By 4 People in the entire NHL.

Ace88*

4 out of 30 players think he's the most overrated player.

ESPN: "Dion Phaneuf rated as most overrated by his peers!"

Like how stupidly sensationalist. If you can't see through the stupidity of ESPN then you deserve to be a misinformed idiot.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Guys like "Disgruntled Observer" live off this sort of thing.

You can be sure they've already got it bookmarked, and a tirade explaining how much he hates this team is coming soon - as soon as they lose a game, of course.

MajorityRules*

I just interviewed 30 of my friends. All of them have jobs.

In conclusion, there are no unemployment issues in Canada.

I bet they all drink beer too. Canadians are alcoholics.:sarcasm:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
ESPN hockey related articles/polls should always be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism.

EDDIE20*

You can be sure they've already got it bookmarked, and a tirade explaining how much he hates this team is coming soon - as soon as they lose a game, of course.

Yep. He only rears his head once the team loses. It must have hurt him dearly on Saturday night.

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
I think Dion just needs a new partner. I don't see what's so good about Gunnar. He is abysmal at clearing the zone since day one and he doesn't excel at any particular aspect. He's decent but replaceable and Phaneuf deserves better.

Well said

hockeyfanz*

That's a joke. Our D corps without Dion is among the worst in the league.

Probably one of the worst in the league since Phaneuf has been a Leaf. Currently they are probably one of the best offensive D corp in hockey but no better than middle of the pack defensively...probably more like bottom half of the league.

hockeyfanz*

For a guy who is out to lunch...people around here sure care what "Disgruntled Observer" has to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->