News Article: Phaneuf voted as "most overrated" by 30 NHL players

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Burke screwed us over for years trading for Kessel

Richard Peddie is more evil then the most Evil Lord Blackmore and didn't want to win

Carl Gunnarsson wouldn't be a regular on any other NHL team, Fraser is an AHL Dman and on and on

RW tried to wreck Kadri only because of his illicit love affair with Johnny Dangles and only kept his job because of his protected relationship with the GM who deserved to get fired I suppose for allowing his coach to throw the players under the greyhound and coaching them to be losers

theres more.......lot's more:naughty:

BayStreetBullies*

Burke screwed us over for years trading for Kessel

Richard Peddie is more evil then the most Evil Lord Blackmore and didn't want to win

Carl Gunnarsson wouldn't be a regular on any other NHL team, Fraser is an AHL Dman and on and on

RW tried to wreck Kadri only because of his illicit love affair with Johnny Dangles and only kept his job because of his protected relationship with the GM who deserved to get fired I suppose for allowing his coach to throw the players under the greyhound and coaching them to be losers

theres more.......lot's more:naughty:

Sadly, you can't make this up. :laugh:

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Phaneuf is overrated and makes too many mistakes. At best, he is a #2 D on a Cup contender. If he wants to stay in Toronto, he should sign at a discount. However, his trade value is high.

Time to clear up a few things:

1. There is no such thing as a #2D, either your a 1st/2nd/3rd pairing guy. I think its safe to say Phaneuf on most teams would be a legit first pairing defencmen

2. Phaneuf is far from perfect, and I've been the first to call him out on his crap over the years (namely inconsistentcy). You say he makes too many mistakes well clearly the coach disagrees with you because he puts him out there 25-30 mins a game against the other teams best players.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Time to clear up a few things:

1. There is no such thing as a #2D, either your a 1st/2nd/3rd pairing guy. I think its safe to say Phaneuf on most teams would be a legit first pairing defencmen

2. Phaneuf is far from perfect, and I've been the first to call him out on his crap over the years (namely inconsistentcy). You say he makes too many mistakes well clearly the coach disagrees with you because he puts him out there 25-30 mins a game against the other teams best players.

I think he was being sarcastic....and merely stating what others say about Dion.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
imagine phaneuf did this?

He did something that every elite defenseman does in the NHL: Pinch in the playoffs...the Bruins scored and that mistake was the worst mistake ever made by a defenseman.

I remember Chara pinching against Nash against NYR (much worse than Phaneuf's) and that just slid through and no one heard of it.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Who is it that is rating him so highly in the first place ? Wasn't Phaneuf voted the most overrated player last year ? How can he be both ?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Nothing new here. Phaneuf has his fair share of detractors. i.e. Watters

No one has called him the best defenceman in the NHL, or even in the top 10, or has he has ever won the Norris, so I don't know how he is overrated?

If you ask me, after watching the ex Norris winner Karlsson the pylon last night perhaps they mixed up #55 for #3.

Add PK Subban there as well. Those two are WAY more overrated than Dion ever was. If they voted like this Dion's second year _in_Calgary_ I could understand that, but this manure is getting old.

EDIT: At first I thought someone bumped up thread from last year to discuss how Dion was rock solid for us last three games and anchored our D last season and playoffs. Silly me. Those players voted in this poll probably know more about manicure than about Dion's play.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
This thread is almost a repeat of the last time Dion was the most overrated player in the league. It's a good thing you guys have each other. :). It is weird that Phaneuf could be the most overrated twice in a row but no one ever confused the NHL players for a group of rocket surgeons.

hockeyfanz*

I'm not sure who is over-rating Phaneuf other than his own fanbase. I don't see Phaneuf getting a whole lot of accolades, votes for personal hardware or being front and center when choosing National teams.

The over-rating from those outside Leafs Nation simply isn't there.

Tyler Biggs*

Well, the start of another season...the Leafs are in first place (albeit a very few games played) with some incredible young talent and some very good, but still young veterans and still, some Toronto reporter still finds a way to introduce a negative story for everyone to enjoy.

Why you even publish such cr*p such as the opinion of Phaneuf's "peers", whoever they may be is beyond me - who cares? Publish their names.

With so much positive going on with the franchise, why do you try so hard to be negative or to publish this drivel?

Do we miss Schenn?
Where are all the "We could have had Sequin" yappers now?
Do you think Scotty Bowmans' ex-players all love him?

What is wrong with the Toronto media?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Well, the start of another season...the Leafs are in first place (albeit a very few games played) with some incredible young talent and some very good, but still young veterans and still, some Toronto reporter still finds a way to introduce a negative story for everyone to enjoy.

Why you even publish such cr*p such as the opinion of Phaneuf's "peers", whoever they may be is beyond me - who cares? Publish their names.

With so much positive going on with the franchise, why do you try so hard to be negative or to publish this drivel?

Do we miss Schenn?
Where are all the "We could have had Sequin" yappers now?
Do you think Scotty Bowmans' ex-players all love him?

What is wrong with the Toronto media?

although I know your question is rhetorical, the answer is that "all of them to a person love to hear themselves talk and love even more to be talked about"!

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This happens every year lol. I am not surprised. It's kind of funny at this point. Beating a dead horse.

They should ask the same 30 players if the Leafs would be a better team with our without Phaneuf. That's a question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->