Speculation: Phaneuf, revisited

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Edler is going to be nearly 30 soon and he's not going to be a 50 point defenseman. The time to acquire him has passed. Ehrhoff isn't anywhere close to being the player he once was. These players seem like plugs to me.

The hot and heavy trade talk about Edler was the past couple of years, though, when Edler was around 26. And most of the trade talk then seemed to revolve around Smith. And Ehrhoff would still be our third best D, at worst. He may not be what he once was, but I have a hard time calling him a plug when compared to some of the guys we've been running out there the past few seasons.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The hot and heavy trade talk about Edler was the past couple of years, though, when Edler was around 26. And most of the trade talk then seemed to revolve around Smith. And Ehrhoff would still be our third best D, at worst. He may not be what he once was, but I have a hard time calling him a plug when compared to some of the guys we've been running out there the past few seasons.

Pretty sure Vancouver wanted a top six forward for Edler. Either way, yeah, Ehrhoff might be better than someone like Quincy or Smith, but the team needs to start giving the kids a shot. Right now, i'd rather give Marchenko a chance to play significant minutes. I think he's going to be a great second-pairing guy in time. Ouellet I feel has great potential, too. Jensen could be a great bottom-pairing guy due to his skating.

Unless they're getting superstar defensemen I'd rather continue the youth transition. That's all I'm saying. Trying to plug holes with 30-year olds that are past their prime isn't ideal.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pretty sure Vancouver wanted a top six forward for Edler. Either way, yeah, Ehrhoff might be better than someone like Quincy or Smith, but the team needs to start giving the kids a shot. Right now, i'd rather give Marchenko a chance to play significant minutes. I think he's going to be a great second-pairing guy in time. Ouellet I feel has great potential, too. Jensen could be a great bottom-pairing guy due to his skating.

Unless they're getting superstar defensemen I'd rather continue the youth transition. That's all I'm saying. Trying to plug holes with 30-year olds that are past their prime isn't ideal.

From what I remember from the Vancouver rumors was a constant talk of "pieces" and that Vancouver wanted four pieces and Holland wasn't comfortable giving three, and that's when talks died. I got the impression Vancouver wasn't really interested in dealing Edler, or their GM just wanted something crazy in favor of his end in the bargain. Agree entirely about wanting to see more kids, though, and being high on Marchenko.

I'm not against signing a thirty year old. Mike Green would be a clear upgrade and fill a need. I'm totally against signing more mediocre thirty year old D like Quincey just to sign a vet and clog the roster. I know the guy has been better than expected, but I really want to see that spot given to a youngster from now on.

Going into this summer, regardless of what happens in these playoffs, I think Holland could dump Smith, Kindl, Quincey, and Ericsson and there would be few tears shed. Which is kinda crazy that we're still a playoff team and have such a replaceable blueline.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
we have to move out at least 2 of these 4, kindl, smith, ericsson and quincey

we have to bring in one proven top 3 guys, phaneuf or green

we have to bring into the fold full time marchy and ouellet

ideally we can move out 3 of those 4 guys and bring in an additional ufa like sekera, or petry

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

ideally we can move out 3 of those 4 guys and bring in an additional ufa like sekera, or petry

I'd stay away from Sekera because of the torn knee ligament. I know they are saying surgery isn't required, but this seems like the sort of injury where the guy will rehab all summer, come to camp, not feel right, and up on the IR all year or under the knife anyway.

Also, I think if you want to bring in a Phaneuf or Green type upgrade, and have Marchenko and XO in the lineup fulltime, we'd have to see all four of those other guys gone unless the guy we keep is Kindl or Smith and we just bump them into the seventh spot. If Quincey or Ericsson is the one left standing, I have a hard time seeing either moved out of the lineup.

I'd be pretty happy with signing Green and just promoting the two kids.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

I don't think we HAVE to bring in Ouellet immediately, as long as he's the top dog in Grand Rapids and doesn't have to compete with Marchy for NHL time if March is already incorporated. If Holland is smart, Ouellet could probably get 40 games if he's called up routinely when the Wings need a solid D and only use Kindl as a warm body when it isn't feasible to call up Ouellet. Not sure what his waiver status will be by then though.

I don't think there's anyway we get rid of Ericsson, but I would LOVE to get rid of the other three. And I'd love to pick up some assets (mid picks) for Smith and Q. Quincey has been fine this year but he's pretty vanilla.

I actually would love to see Ehrhoff replace Q. They're similar defensively (i.e. they can look good in the right situation) but Ehrhoff is a righty and, even in an off year, is much better than Q at moving the puck.

Wouldn't mind this at all:

Kronwall-Phaneuf/Green
Dekeyser-Ehrhoff
Ericsson-Marchenko

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think we HAVE to bring in Ouellet immediately, as long as he's the top dog in Grand Rapids and doesn't have to compete with Marchy for NHL time if March is already incorporated.

I don't think there's anyway we get rid of Ericsson, but I would LOVE to get rid of the other three. And I'd love to pick up some assets (mid picks) for Smith and Q. Quincey has been fine this year but he's pretty vanilla.

I actually would love to see Ehrhoff replace Q. They're similar defensively (i.e. they can look good in the right situation) but Ehrhoff is a righty and, even in an off year, is much better than Q at moving the puck.

Kronwall-Phaneuf/Green
Dekeyser-Ehrhoff
Ericsson-Marchenko

that works for me

significantly improves the backend and sets us up nicely for the next half decade or so

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think we HAVE to bring in Ouellet immediately, as long as he's the top dog in Grand Rapids and doesn't have to compete with Marchy for NHL time if March is already incorporated.

Kronwall-Phaneuf/Green
Dekeyser-Ehrhoff
Ericsson-Marchenko

Ehrhoff is a lefty, and I'm also pretty sure he only plays the left side.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
well dammit guys we're trying to build the franchise ourselves lets have some consensus here

kronwall-phaneuf
dekeyser-marchenko
ericsson-petry

Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Marchenko
Ericsson-Zidlicky

Would be my preference. If we can't get Green replace him with Phaneuf.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Marchenko
Ericsson-Zidlicky

yah i can see why you like green for his shot and extra offence

i prefer phaneuf for his leadership(he is a better leader then green) and his size/physicality and he is better in his own end(but not by much)

in a perfect world i take Dion.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Since the Leafs apparently want more than what was offered at the deadline I'll be rejoicing if another team trades for Phaneuf this summer. I don't want him with the Wings unless it's an absolute steal with Weiss and little else going the other way (Kindl, maybe Smith, etc.). I'm hoping Holland feels the same way.

Phaneuf tends to be lazy and/or has a low hockey IQ. He's the captain of the Leafs and he's one of those guys that clearly packed it in down the stretch. Even if he takes on a lesser role in Detroit a tiger isn't going to change his stripes. Us fans get upset when Smith or Kindl look bad...imagine a guy with Phaneuf's salary doing the same? No thanks.

I live in Toronto and I've watched enough of this guy with the Leafs. I don't want to see him wearing the winged wheel.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Marchenko
Ericsson-Zidlicky

If they were to sign Green, I don't see a need our a role for Zidlicky. Also he's cooled off after that hot start and really did not look impressive in game one. I'd rather not bring him back either way. I'd prefer to look at XO or Jensen as the sixth guy.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
My armchair roster and lines for next year.

Helm - Datsyuk - Kessel
Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Pulkinnen
Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro
Andersson & Callahan

Kronwall - Green
Phaneuf - Dekeyser
Ericsson - Marchenko
Ouellet

Howard / Mrazek

A boat load of salary coming in but we've dropped...
Weiss, Franzen (LTIR), Cleary, Jurco, Kindl, Smith, Quincey

I have the above roster coming in at 70 mil. Roll every line equal time, stay fresh.

My proposed deal to Toronto was 2 1sts, Weiss, Jurco (or Pulkinnen but I'd like to keep him), Smith, Quincey (or Ericssson) , maybe another B prospect (Frk, Nasty, Bert or Sproul?)

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yikes. Toronto couldn't eat enough salary for me to take Kessel off their hands. He's a ghost when it matters.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If they were to sign Green, I don't see a need our a role for Zidlicky. Also he's cooled off after that hot start and really did not look impressive in game one. I'd rather not bring him back either way. I'd prefer to look at XO or Jensen as the sixth guy.

Yeah, I agree. Green, Marchenko, and Pulkinnen make Zidlicky's presence redundant. And as you mentioned he hasn't looked great since his initial burst. And is it just me, or has our PP looked steadily worse since Zidlicky's arrival?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad