Speculation: Phaneuf, revisited

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Phaneuf also has no idea how to play.

At least he isn't a paper mache "Offensive Defenseman", we have more than enough of those. Kronner, Smith, Zidlicky, Kindl, Ericsson... all the grit of marshmallow cream.

Also, Holland needs to stop signing ugly contracts and be willing to move a veteran or two. Too much loyalty

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
At least he isn't a paper mache "Offensive Defenseman", we have more than enough of those. Kronner, Smith, Zidlicky, Kindl, Ericsson... all the grit of marshmallow cream.

Also, Holland needs to stop signing ugly contracts and be willing to move a veteran or two. Too much loyalty

Ericsson is an offensive defenseman? Oh, you used the word grit though, carry on.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I find his effort level offensive, does that count? What category of defenseman would you label him as? I don't think "pylon" is a legitimate classification.

Defensive Dman if anything. Hes garbage in the Ozone.

And hes not even a good Defensive dman at all

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
ericsson is soft, soft, soft

every once and a while he throws his weight around but by and large he is afraid of contact, maybe he dosent want cooties...

he has been awful more then he has been decent

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Marchenko
Quincey - Ouellet

I'd be fine with that. Although, I'm not sure if the first pair is the right place for Green.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Marchenko
Quincey - Ouellet

I'd be fine with that. Although, I'm not sure if the first pair is the right place for Green.

This is my thinking as well. If not Green then someone else. I think you might be able to pry Burns away from San Jose if they plan to blow it up over there. That would also please Babcock. I have a feeling it's just going to be Ericsson again. I think the DeKeyser-Marchenko pairing can be a real solid unit in time, though.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Pylon who is great at generating opportunities for the other team, very good.

At this point, from the **** show our defensive corps has put on, I can't think that he would be any worse. So long as we get rid of one or two of the usual suspects it should even out and we should get someone willing to play with an edge.

I'm more than happy with any moves to acquire Phaneuf so long as they don't include a 1st rd. pick, Tats, Goose, Mantha, Larkin, Mrazek or Ouellet.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
At this point, from the **** show our defensive corps has put on, I can't think that he would be any worse. So long as we get rid of one or two of the usual suspects it should even out and we should get someone willing to play with an edge.

I'm more than happy with any moves to acquire Phaneuf so long as they don't include a 1st rd. pick, Tats, Goose, Mantha, Larkin, Mrazek or Ouellet.

i would trade the 2016 1st rd pick and try and get back pittsburghs 2016 2nd rd pick

toronto is entering a full 5 year rebuild, while i have no doubt they would like an additional 1st rounder this year that franchise isnt going to shy away from accumulating as many 1st rd picks in the coming three years as it can

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Marchenko
Quincey - Ouellet

We're not getting rid of Ericsson. I would love to, but it's not happening.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Marchenko
Quincey - Ouellet

Teams would camp out in front of crease with that team we would get murdered.

Who is the crease clear here? Q? DeKeyser gaining 20 lbs this season?

I actually like the idea of for once having Phaneuf and Ericsson out there bouncing guys out of what they want to do. Are they great defensively, not so much but they also should both be playing lower in the lineup and moving Q for a pick and just the roster spot out along with hopefully Weiss and Smith in the Phaneuf deal and you can still chase Green, especially if Toronto retains anything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Teams would camp out in front of crease with that team we would get murdered.

Who is the crease clear here? Q? DeKeyser gaining 20 lbs this season?

I actually like the idea of for once having Phaneuf and Ericsson out there bouncing guys out of what they want to do. Are they great defensively, not so much but they also should both be playing lower in the lineup and moving Q for a pick and just the roster spot out along with hopefully Weiss and Smith in the Phaneuf deal and you can still chase Green, especially if Toronto retains anything.

Good point, but that's really all E is good for. It's not worth keeping him just for that reason IMO, if you could find someone to actually take that contract, which I doubt.

But yeah that line-up you responded to would really struggle in that area, though I do think they would be good in many other areas.

Q has been pretty chippy and physical this year, so he may be able to help a bit?

I really don't know how you fix the defense, but they are just not good enough as it is.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good point, but that's really all E is good for. It's not worth keeping him just for that reason IMO, if you could find someone to actually take that contract, which I doubt.

But yeah that line-up you responded to would really struggle in that area, though I do think they would be good in many other areas.

Q has been pretty chippy and physical this year, so he may be able to help a bit?

I really don't know how you fix the defense, but they are just not good enough as it is.

I move Q because we can probably get a 2nd or 3rd for him. He shouldn't have a future here beyond this contract. His turnaround in play has a certain degree of DeKeyser carrying him, I think he has improved and the physicality is certainly welcome but I still ship him this off-season. Especially since in my opinion that allows a double swoop for Green and Phaneuf. Ericsson goes down to the third period and PK guy that he is, he is good at that role. He also can play with a lot more nastiness as he doesn't conserve his energy nearly as much. It is what I would like to see in all honesty.

Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Phaneuf
Ericsson - Marchenko
Ouellet/Jensen

You then trade either Howard or Ericsson entering the off-seaosn and the other goes to Vegas in the allocation draft. Freeing a couple of the spots. IF Ericsson is really good in that third pairing heavy pk role you could reconsider but that would be my plan.

For all the hand-ringing both Howard and Ericsson would be very attractive options should they be left exposed in the expansion draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I move Q because we can probably get a 2nd or 3rd for him. He shouldn't have a future here beyond this contract. His turnaround in play has a certain degree of DeKeyser carrying him, I think he has improved and the physicality is certainly welcome but I still ship him this off-season. Especially since in my opinion that allows a double swoop for Green and Phaneuf. Ericsson goes down to the third period and PK guy that he is, he is good at that role. He also can play with a lot more nastiness as he doesn't conserve his energy nearly as much. It is what I would like to see in all honesty.

Kronwall - Green
DeKeyser - Phaneuf
Ericsson - Marchenko
Ouellet/Jensen

You then trade either Howard or Ericsson entering the off-seaosn and the other goes to Vegas in the allocation draft. Freeing a couple of the spots. IF Ericsson is really good in that third pairing heavy pk role you could reconsider but that would be my plan.

For all the hand-ringing both Howard and Ericsson would be very attractive options should they be left exposed in the expansion draft.

Always forget about expansion, and the Vegas scenario.

That could really work to our benefit if we play our cards right.

#1 priority is getting someone to play alongside Kronwall, so we can move Ericsson down like you said. No one is cut out from for that role, and we have too many people playing above their skill set in terms of role.

I would like to either see a Ericsson-Marchenko pair like you said, or even Dekeyser-Marchenko, but either way I like Marchenko as a full-time guy next year.

Holland NEEDS to find a RD for the top pair before the start of the 15-16 season. Whether that's FA or trades, I don't really care. But we can't just keep deploying these same guys and expecting things to get better. We're just shuffling around the same crap, and it's not changing anything.

Trading for Phaneuf and putting him as the #2 RD and not getting anyone to pair with Kronwall would be pointless.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
The team obviously doesn't view Ericsson as the liability he is most nights, or they wouldn't keep him in the top pair. Highly unlikely he'd be left unprotected in an expansion draft, no matter how much he deserves it or how obviously lousy he is to the rest of us.

It's fun to dream, but don't get your hopes up.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I'd move Ouellet for the right piece given the way Marchenko's shown he can play.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd move Ouellet for the right piece given the way Marchenko's shown he can play.

I would trade any of the defensive prospects, including Marchenko. If we can package them in a deal that brings in a good proven player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad