Rumor: Phaneuf may be in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I don't want to get rid of Phaneuf. I just want him moved 1 spot down on the depth chart and earn 1-1.5 million less per year. Probably impossible, I know.

I think Phaneuf needs to be paired with a speedy, mobile, better defensively, partner.
But how many NHL teams have two of the top 15 d in the league? In order to push Phaneuf down, that's what you're doing.

Contract wise, your expectations are unrealistic in 2013.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A good comparison for Gunnarsson is his countryman Hjalmarsson.

Careers:

Gunnarsson (26, 6'2" 195lbs): 224gms, 12gls, 69pts, 301ht, 420bk, 20:32 (82gms, 4gls, 25pts, 110ht, 154bk)
Hjalmarsson (26, 6'3" 205lbs): 306gms, 9gls, 56pts, 196ht, 570bk, 19:05 (82gms, 2gls, 15pts, 52ht, 153bk)

Last 2 Years:

Gunnarson (26, 6'2" 195lbs): 113gms, 5gls, 34pts, 192ht, 223bk, 21:34 (82gms, 4gls, 25pts, 139ht, 162bk)
Hjalmarsson (26, 6'3" 205lbs): 115gms, 3gls, 25pts, 68ht, 236bk, 20:28 (82gms, 2gls, 18pts, 49ht, 168bk)

Both tall, rangy guys who can skate and move the puck. Gunnar does have a bit more puck skill but his minutes and scoring edge in these numbers is mostly due to more opportunity on the PP than Hjalmarsson gets in Chicago....neither of these guys is much of an offensive guy, and both play a similar role against similar quality of competition.

Gunnar is a bit more physical, but it's also true that the ACC is a little more friendly for hits stats than most other arenas. The blocks numbers do indicate that both guys have similar role and dedication on the defensive end.

Toronto

Apr 8, 2007
Here's a comparison of the two.

Category | Dion Phaneuf | Ryan Suter
TOI/G | 25:10 | 27:16
Pts | 28 | 32
SH TOI | 3:06 | 2:07
PP TOI | 3:24 | 3:46
On Ice GF | 48.30% | 51.60%
On Ice GA | 44.40% | 42.60%
Hits | 131 | 33
BkS | 91 | 74
Shots | 88 | 91
S% | 10.2 | 4.4

Never mind 10X......make a case that Suter is twice as good.

I'll check back

Oh look its the stat man.

Using your logic......chris kunitz is just as good as kessel. I mean they had the same points this season. oh and craig anderson>lundqvist. Prove me wrong i have the stats to back me up

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

Using your logic......chris kunitz is just as good as kessel. I mean they had the same points this season. oh and craig anderson>lundqvist. Prove me wrong i have the stats to back me up

Uh, you don't understand the concept of sample size do you sir...

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

If you ask some, they are. What do you have to prove him wrong?

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
If gamble Phaneuf for the right deal of a pick and high end center. It's obvious this team wants Lupul to be Captain, they need to get rid of Phaneuf.

Toronto

Apr 8, 2007
If you ask some, they are. What do you have to prove him wrong?

My knowledge of the game. Its common sense suter is better than phaneuf go make a poll on the main board and it'd be a landslide. Reading this thread has lowered my intelligence...im not sure how i keep succumbing back in here

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
My knowledge of the game. Its common sense suter is better than phaneuf go make a poll on the main board and it'd be a landslide. Reading this thread has lowered my intelligence...im not sure how i keep succumbing back in here

It was also common sense that Schenn was far and away better than Kadri, that Kessel would never be more than a 2nd line winger, that Reimer was no more than a backup goalie, that Tyler Myers was the next big thing....

You can forgive me if I don't take HfB votes to heart.

As for your 'knowledge of the game' , my knowledge and 10 years of playing as well as 10 of coaching tells me that it's not nearly as obvious as some here like to think it is. However, that's the beauty of opinions, everybody has one. His is backed up by numbers.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Gunnarsson is good but not top pairing good. He's steady as can be though.
Basically all I'm saying.

I just don't like him on the top unit but we've got no other choice.

As for Franson, better be re-signed or I'd be very disappointed to see him leave

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Kunitz played with Crosby

Suter played with Brodin

Phaneuf played with Kostka

Point proven

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie

People aren't arguing Phaneuf > Suter so no poll is needed. The argument was you stating Suter is 10x better is bs and hyperbole.

Others are trying to show you through stats, which you for some reason think should be ignored is that they are both #1 D who play a large important role for their team and were successful.

Saying "my knowledge of the game" as a reason one player is better without any sort of supporting evidence or reasoning is a cop out and makes you look like you know even less than your posts suggest.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
So far on our team, we have

#1D - Phaneuf

#3D - Gunnarsson

#4D - Gardiner

#5D - Franson

#6D - Fraser

Trade Phaneuf and we will need to find 2 top pairing Dmen, instead of 1. Rielly will likely be a top pairing man in 3 years.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

#1D - Phaneuf

#4d - Gunnarsson

#4D - Gardiner

#3D - Franson

#6D - Fraser

Trade Phaneuf and we will need to find 2 top pairing Dmen, instead of 1. Rielly will likely be a top pairing man in 3 years.
Fixed a couple, IMHO. I think Franson may even be better than that in a year or two.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

#1D - Phaneuf

#3D - Gunnarsson

#4D - Gardiner

#5D - Franson

#6D - Fraser

I'd say if you get the Gardiner and Franson of the playoffs that would be a solid #2 unit next season.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto

I'm going to agree with you Toronto. There's a huge discrepancy on this board between knowledgeable fans, and those that have never laced 'em up.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'd say if you get the Gardiner and Franson of the playoffs that would be a solid #2 unit next season.

Until they play against other team's 2nd line in their own end and come out on top in a regular basis, neither are anything more than a #4D.

But it is really going to be interesting to see these 2 develop next year.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm going to agree with you Toronto. There's a huge discrepancy on this board between knowledgeable fans, and those that have never laced 'em up.

I agree. As one who has 'laced them up' at a fairly competitive level, I find that many here who undervalue Phaneuf have obviously never played.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
A quote I remember clearly was Tortorella saying "We were trying all night to get Nash on the ice without Dion, when we did, he scored a couple"

Thats the type of DMan I want on this team. The type that shuts down opposing top liners and gives coaches a massive headache to match up against.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Until they play against other team's 2nd line in their own end and come out on top in a regular basis, neither are anything more than a #4D.

But it is really going to be interesting to see these 2 develop next year.
But a #4 D is a 2nd pairing- 3/4, which is what I'm saying. I'm not asking for them to be #2 in lieu of Gunnarson.

And if you remember, they were leaned on heavily in the playoffs- 2 & 3 in TOI behind Phaneuf. Are they great in their own end? No, I don't think so, but Franson more than held his own and Gardiner was impressive for an OFD.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
But a #4 D is a 2nd pairing- 3/4, which is what I'm saying. I'm not asking for them to be #2 in lieu of Gunnarson.

And if you remember, they were leaned on heavily in the playoffs- 2 & 3 in TOI behind Phaneuf. Are they great in their own end? No, I don't think so, but Franson more than held his own and Gardiner was impressive for an OFD.

Oh certainly, but are they going to keep up that level of play?

Gardiner and Franson were near PPG. Quite impressive, but is it sustainable?

I would still be more comfortable if we added a defensive minded top 4 Dman in the summer. Which would give us 5 top4 Dmen and solidify the backend.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I agree. As one who has 'laced them up' at a fairly competitive level, I find that many here who undervalue Phaneuf have obviously never played.

And there are also some of us who have also played at a fairly competitive level, and think Dion is overrated and overpaid for what he does.

I also could be head scout for a NHL team and never played a game in my life, but that certainly doesn't make me any less qualified to speak about Dion, because you have 'laced them up', and I have not.

Get a grip.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Oh certainly, but are they going to keep up that level of play?

Gardiner and Franson were near PPG. Quite impressive, but is it sustainable?

I would still be more comfortable if we added a defensive minded top 4 Dman in the summer. Which would give us 5 top4 Dmen and solidify the backend.
Oh we need another D, IMO, absolutely. I want Scuderi quite a bit as I think he's probably the only RHD that fits what we need on the UFA market but I'd peg the Kings to re-sign him.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I didn't make a claim either way.

I provided comparative stats on Phaneuf and Suter and asked you to make a case to back up your claim of Suter being 10x better. I even let you off the hook and only asked that you make a case he is twice as good.

So go ahead.......show some evidence that Suter is twice as good as Phaneuf. It's a fairly simple request.

BTW....you didn't show any stats to back up the other silly claims either. Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad