Rumor: Phaneuf may be in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Thank God you're not running the team. I can't believe after finally making the playoffs someone wants to tank and be a **** team again.

Prospects aren't everything and don't guarantee anything.

to build something properly, you need to tear it down first.

JFJ tried to supplement the team when were were a borderline playoff team, Burke tried to 'fix' the team on the fly, and how did they end up?

there is no savior in the UFA market, and nobody is going to trade us a franchise player for scraps.

you could only wish i was running the team, because it would have been torn down, and been rebuilt a long time ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To some, yes, for me, absolutely not!

He's a good all around D, but, not good enough defensively to be a true #1 D making over 6.0 million a year. That's just MHO!

Fair enough.

I don't think we'll see Phaneuf at his best until he's given a suitable partner, picture him with Seidenberg or similar. Gunnar should be no where near the top pair.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I like Phaneuf, I just don't see him as a true #1 D making over 6 million a year.

A true #1 like Weber, Chara, Lidstrom, Suter, etc? Those guys make 7-8+. This isn't 2003 anymore. 6 would be a bargain for a guy like Phaneuf even if he's not in that group.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
By that definition, there are about 5 #1D's in the league.

You clearly don't like Phaneuf because of the mistakes he makes...does that mean you don't like Karlsson/Subban/Letang either?

Phaneuf makes far too many mistakes for my liking.

I really hate Karlsson/Subban/Letang as they are not Leaf players. Would I want any of the three to be paired with Phaneuf? Absolutely!!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think you may have missed his point.

Yes, they are all mistake prone too.

I think Phaneuf, @ 6.5 million, makes too many mistakes and is not all that great defensively. He also lacks foot speed to make up for his brain farts.

Remember, we're all entitled to our opinions.

Last edited:

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
All these people who want to get rid of Phaneuf are the exact people who would raise a stink because we don't have a guy like Phaneuf on the backend.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
All these people who want to get rid of Phaneuf are the exact people who would raise a stink because we don't have a guy like Phaneuf on the backend.

Many decided they didn't like him right when he was acquired or named captain or made a mistake or whatever and have stuck to that prejudice.

No point in trying to change their mind, as its already been made up a long time ago.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

I don't want to get rid of Phaneuf. I just want him moved 1 spot down on the depth chart and earn 1-1.5 million less per year. Probably impossible, I know.

I think Phaneuf needs to be paired with a speedy, mobile, better defensively, partner.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
With phaneuf its probaly the worst defence in the league :laugh:

Honestly we would probably be better without him in the lineup. Makes so many bonehead plays. Single handidly cost us game 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbPpmBqAnt0

And without him they'd be booted in game 6. He played like a man possessed that night, created the turnover and was the only one with "tener cojones" (enough b_lls) to stand in front with Chara to get the tip while time ran down. So while I partially agree I can't completely agree.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I don't often agree with ACC (ever?), but Gunnar is vastly overrated and shouldn't be a top pairing D, IMO.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
don't use statistics to make a point, im sure the previous poster watched every single Minnesota wild game just as intensely as he watched every leaf game. :D

Just for the heck of it, here's a comparison to the "best defenseman" in the NHL this season.

Category | Dion Phaneuf | PK Subban
TOI/G | 25:10 | 23:14
Pts | 28 | 38
SH TOI | 3:06 | 1:27
PP TOI | 3:24 | 4:42
On Ice GF | 48.30% | 44.30%
On Ice GA | 44.40% | 34.90%
Hits | 131 | 51
BkS | 91 | 49
Shots | 88 | 126
S% | 10.2 | 8.7

Thats around 20% of ice time on the PP for an eilte D-man.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We finally get good, and people want to trade away what are by far our best players, and the biggest reasons for our success.

It's hilarious.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
I don't often agree with ACC (ever?), but Gunnar is vastly overrated and shouldn't be a top pairing D, IMO.

Agree totally, I'm glad that we're starting to build a majority. Gunnar IMO is an easier chip replaced on the backend and can be used for a package deal.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gunnar is an excellent defensive top-4 defenseman. Trading him would be a mistake.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
We finally get good, and people want to trade away what are by far our best players, and the biggest reasons for our success.

It's hilarious.

I almost never agree with your opinion when I read your posts, but this is so true. When we suck, we want to trade away our players. Finally we see some success and we still want to trade away our players. I'm sure if we had Crosby and he stunk for one playoff series, we'd want him gone too. Ridiculous.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Maybe to fans, but I'm sure the hockey ops department of other teams know quite a bit about the players on other teams.

Allow me to rephrase. He's not really good at any one thing. Doesn't put up a lot of points. Not a particularly strong skater. Won't put up a lot of points. Not overly physical. Not a great shot. He's just steady. Those guys don't generate large returns in the trade market

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You would never get your value back with a Gunnarsson trade. He's too under the radar

Personally I like Gunnarsson too.

he's a unphysical, good puckmoving defensive defenseman, seemingly rare commodity. He's a guy who unsexy and unnoticed enough that he likely to always be a bargain of a price.

Great #3 or 4.

What's people's thoughts on franson? He's a guy I'm not hearing alot about, despite a very good season and post season.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Personally I like Gunnarsson too.

he's a unphysical, good puckmoving defensive defenseman, seemingly rare commodity. He's a guy who unsexy and unnoticed enough that he likely to always be a bargain of a price.

Great #3 or 4.

What's people's thoughts on franson? He's a guy I'm not hearing alot about, despite a very good season and post season.

He hits harder than Phaneuf and puts up more points. His feet are a little slow but after the year he had....seems like just yesterday I was calling this guy a bum. I would only consider trading him for the first line centreman

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yes, they are all mistake prone too.

I think Phaneuf, @ 6.5 million, makes too many mistakes and is not all that great defensively. He also lacks foot speed to make up for his brain farts.

Remember, we're all entitled to our opinions.
Can you list the defensemen who deserve 6.5 or more? Just for comparison sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad