Pgh 2-1 OT loss: 1 point at least

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Pretty much every game, whether the Habs win or lose, you can count on a handful of decisions by Therrien and co. that range from puzzling to downright stupid.

There is quite literally zero logic in putting Desharnais and Pacioretty together at 4 on 4.

The power play is so laughably predictable that it really is a wonder they don't give up goals on it more often.

Yes, clearly because you don't see the logic, there's none.

Well, you know, other than maybe the fact that Patch and DD are the only 2 forwards with 2 OT goals in the last 2 years on our team. But whatever you know.

Analyzer*

Montreal is 27th in the league in hits.

Also, the pp has suck for over a year and the only thing to fix it was to bring in Gonchar...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Well, you know, other than maybe the fact that Patch and DD are the only 2 forwards with 2 OT goals in the last 2 years on our team. But whatever you know.

Maybe the team would have more if they tried different combinations.

Max is showing quite well that he doesn't need DD to produce.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

The poster I quoted said there's zero logic behind it.

DD has 2 OT goals in the last 2 years, same as Pacioretty.

So the statement that it's somehow completely insane and devoid of logic is ridiculous because clearly I just found a good reason why a coach could want to do it. That's all I said. I'm not arguing that they should be together in OT necessairly.

But to say that the team would have more... there's 5 min in one OT. It's not just DD and Patch on the ice for 5 minutes.

HabsDieHard*

If that's the case and you're seemingly arguing they're the only/best scoring threats in OT, how does it make sense to play them together anyways? Aren't they better with the 2 scoring threats on separate lines????

And if that is being put forth as a top end 4 on 4 offensive unit, why in the world is it out to start the period against Crosby?????

Inconsistencies and Carey Price are the 2 consistents in the Therrien era.

HabsDieHard*

So the statement that it's somehow completely insane and devoid of logic is ridiculous because clearly I just found a good reason why a coach could want to do it. That's all I said. I'm not arguing that they should be together in OT necessairly.

But to say that the team would have more... there's 5 min in one OT. It's not just DD and Patch on the ice for 5 minutes.

So why are they out to start the OT against Crosby????

If we're going to believe Weise is a capable top 6 shutdown forward, why aren't Plekx-Weise out to start when the Pens put Crosby out???

:sarcasm:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
1st PP

Pacs Chucky Sekac - our 3 most talented fwds stacked up front - an out there concept some teams use...
Subban Markov

2nd PP

Eller Pleks PAP - Lars parked in front of the net - again an out there concept to put size in front of the net
Beaulieu Gonchar

No DD and No Gally

And No ****ing Dale Weise or Brandon Prust!! ;)

I can get behind all of this.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Aren't they the pair that got the most ice time in OT over that span as well? Some forwards barely get a shift in over time. I'm not talking about Maholtra, but guys like Sekac and Eller. Scoring a combined 4 goals in OT in about 30 opportunities isn't particularly impressive either. You should attempt to mix things up more. Also, if those two guys are our best bet to score in OT, shouldn't we split them up so we can have one of these guys on the ice for most of OT?

Galchenyuk-MaxPac is the duo we should be focusing on for obvious reasons.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
1st PP

Pacs Chucky Sekac - our 3 most talented fwds stacked up front - an out there concept some teams use...
Subban Markov

2nd PP

Eller Pleks PAP - Lars parked in front of the net - again an out there concept to put size in front of the net
Beaulieu Gonchar

No DD and No Gally

Would help if the PP setup/zone entry strategy wasn't that bad too.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

I know for a fact Galchenyuk has at least 1 OT goal in 2014, 2 if you count pre-season. ;)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
thinking about it, Plekanec probably should've tackled a guy who had the puck near him, and then thrown it over the glass or something. Another penalty wouldn't of mattered at that point, and someone with a stick would've replaced him.

HabsDieHard*

Burke, it would have gone from 4 on 3 to 5 on 3, but limited time left and frankly 5 vs. 3 guys with sticks is preferable to 4 vs. 3 when only 2 have sticks...especially with that time frame.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Speaking of combinations, Galchenyuk has been killed as a goal scorer playing center.

One goal in the last nine games. His shot totals per game are down as well.

Unintended consequences.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Kriss E said:
Aren't they the pair that got the most ice time in OT over that span as well? Some forwards barely get a shift in over time. I'm not talking about Maholtra, but guys like Sekac and Eller. Scoring a combined 4 goals in OT in about 30 opportunities isn't particularly impressive either. You should attempt to mix things up more. Also, if those two guys are our best bet to score in OT, shouldn't we split them up so we can have one of these guys on the ice for most of OT?

Galchenyuk-MaxPac is the duo we should be focusing on for obvious reasons.

If that's the case and you're seemingly arguing they're the only/best scoring threats in OT, how does it make sense to play them together anyways? Aren't they better with the 2 scoring threats on separate lines????

And if that is being put forth as a top end 4 on 4 offensive unit, why in the world is it out to start the period against Crosby?????

Inconsistencies and Carey Price are the 2 consistents in the Therrien era.

So why are they out to start the OT against Crosby????

If we're going to believe Weise is a capable top 6 shutdown forward, why aren't Plekx-Weise out to start when the Pens put Crosby out???

:sarcasm:

Again, I'm not saying it's the best move. I'll leave that to the Scotty Bowmans of this board to know what is obviously the best thing to do. But it's not the insane thing with zero logic people are claiming it is since these two forwards have the most results in OT over the past 2 years. I've actually checked and no forwards except Patch and DD have 2 OT goals since the 2010-11 season.

Now..

Would it be even better to split them ? Perhaps.
Would it be even better to go with Galchenyuk because he's the future ? Probably.
Are past results fully indicative of future results ? Probably not.
Are their past results influenced by the ice time they got, or is the ice time they get influenced by past results ? Chicken or the egg..

But you guys just need to put some water in your wine at times. It annoys me when people talk in absolutes and claim MT is the worst of all time and has zero reasoning behind his decisions. You might disagree with the reasoning, or you might not understand his reasoning, but there's one for sure

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1st PP

Subban Markov

2nd PP

Beaulieu Gonchar

No DD and No Gally

You can mix all the players up on the PP, it won't change anything unless we stop trying to set up the point. There's zero creativity on the PP right now. Heck, we can barely even gain the zone and that's being up a man.
I'm curious to know what they practice when they say they worked on the PP all week. If you worked on it then why do you keep trying to same damn thing, over and over again, for the past year?
Overload, Umbrella, 1-3-1, split, hybrid, whatever the strategies they decide to employ or switch, it won't change much because it's always about Markov setting up PK. Our forwards need to be utilized a lot more.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You can mix all the players up on the PP, it won't change anything unless we stop trying to set up the point. There's zero creativity on the PP right now. Heck, we can barely even gain the zone and that's being up a man.
I'm curious to know what they practice when they say they worked on the PP all week. If you worked on it then why do you keep trying to same damn thing, over and over again, for the past year?
Overload, Umbrella, 1-3-1, split, hybrid, whatever the strategies they decide to employ or switch, it won't change much because it's always about Markov setting up PK. Our forwards need to be utilized a lot more.

Great post.

Without net presence screening the goalie, the Habs will cotinue to struggle.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again, I'm not saying it's the best move. I'll leave that to the Scotty Bowmans of this board to know what is obviously the best thing to do. But it's not the insane thing with zero logic people are claiming it is since these two forwards have the most results in OT over the past 2 years. I've actually checked and no forwards except Patch and DD have 2 OT goals since the 2010-11 season.

Now..

Would it be even better to split them ? Perhaps.
Would it be even better to go with Galchenyuk because he's the future ? Probably.
Are past results fully indicative of future results ? Probably not.
Are their past results influenced by the ice time they got, or is the ice time they get influenced by past results ? Chicken or the egg..

But you guys just need to put some water in your wine at times. It annoys me when people talk in absolutes and claim MT is the worst of all time and has zero reasoning behind his decisions. You might disagree with the reasoning, or you might not understand his reasoning, but there's one for sure

For the record I never said there was no logic. DD and Max have proven chemistry, so anytime they're back together, there's definite logic behind that decision. However we should be looking at the future and that duo is a thing of the past.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Burke, it would have gone from 4 on 3 to 5 on 3, but limited time left and frankly 5 vs. 3 guys with sticks is preferable to 4 vs. 3 when only 2 have sticks...especially with that time frame.

Oh yeah? Wasn't aware of that rule. Yeah still marginally better than 4 on 2.

Not blaming Plex or anything, gamesmanship like that is not something most people think about in the moment, just brainstorming.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

I thought we trued with 4 forwards awhile back what happened with that experiment, trued it twice and it didn't work?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Our forwards also have to move more. When the puck gets to the top (as is obviously the objective), it's Markov and PK sliding left and right, back and forth, trying to find a shooting or passing lane (to each other, lol) while our forward slowly glide around whatever small patch of ice they seem to be assigned to. When you know the box is going to stretch out to cover the weapons on the blueline, you don't just need a big body in front to disrupt the vision of any puck that's thrown in, you need forwards to move around and get open in the soft zones that develop in the mid/high slot when boxes pressure the point. If you show no ability/willingness to abuse the soft areas that are left open (and I'm not talking about areas BEHIND the goal line...) AND keep a net presence, PK forwards will have no reservations going all-in on containing Subban and Markov at the top, or keeping forwards contained out on the periphery/half wall.

There's so little movement on our PP that teams are also able to keep the guys they want covering the front of the net, and the guys they want covering the points out on the points. Nothing about our PP makes these defenses rotate out of the scheme they want to play, or develop enough mismatches that allow for a bit of one-on-one work sometimes which can also open up holes to exploit... with movement OR passes through lanes that don't require saucer passes over/through multiple sticks/legs.

Someone big enough to actually disrupt the vision of the goalie (so... not DD, not Gallagher) will actually draw attention from a defenseman, too, and should open up possibilities with the resulting 4-on-3 in the rest of the zone. Should.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
Posted this in the MT thread:

Why on earth would MT choose to deploy his DD, who has been playing wing for weeks now and isn't the best defensively to start VS Sid Crosby, arguably the best player in the NHL.

There's no explanation possible for this GLARING coaching mistake. This is a perfect example of what posters mean whey they say "The team wins despite Therrien". He had Plekanec and Eller available yet he chose to put DD vs Crosby.

We were at home, we had the last change, how does it make sense to put an offensive center (who's supposed to be a winger now?) vs one of the biggest offensive threats in the league?!

Plekanec and Max are dynamite on the PK, does it not make more sense to try them together in OT?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad