Pgh 2-1 OT loss: 1 point at least

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
was impressed with Ghetto tonight, thought he had a good game. Not sure why Thomas was in the lineup over Manny since we were playing against two of the best forwards in the world.

at some point management is going to need to make a trade to help the PP at it's going to continue to cost us points.

Who could we possibly add? when you can throw out a combination of Markov, Gonchar and Subban, you'd think even throwing out a couple timbits would have a legitimate chance at a higher pp% than we currently have.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
mMEeRzE.jpg

Nice pic.

Passing a particularly solid dump :sarcasm:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not that unbelievable. 20 years ago would've been the 94-95 season. The Habs have been mostly mediocre since then.

But what's funny is that he bases this on what? The jury is out if we're even better than last year. For example, two years ago we had a Subban that played better. Eller played better, Prust played better. Our D was less questionable.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It's what it is. Interesting isn't it. Nobody would ever do that though because its not playoffs and so it's not do or die.

It might be do or die in game 82 and the PO on the line.

HabsDieHard*

Just brutal, brutal coaching by Therrien in the OT.

That guy makes me want to cave my own face in with a hammer sometimes.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
You get the penalty but the worse that happens is a 5 on 3. So yes do whatever you want. You could tackle two guys and lay on top of them until a whistle is called. It would be funny to see it actually happen.

Pleks should of tackled Malkin and started dry humping him on the ice. It would of been so funny.:laugh:

I laughed out loud for the first time ever on this board. Well done. Hee Hee. I'm still picturing that...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I read elsewhere that MT wasn't too happy during his post game presser. What did he have to say? Did he blame himself for not being able to fix his teams pathetic and useless PP yet? Even if the Habs had a somewhat competent PP they could've won this game.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Beaulieu with a career high 22:03. The kid is alright

He's so poised now. It's a shame than Emelin-Gilbert pairing is struggling so much, the other 2 pairing have looked really good.

I read elsewhere that MT wasn't too happy during his post game presser. What did he have to say? Did he blame himself for not being able to fix his teams pathetic and useless PP yet? Even if the Habs had a somewhat competent PP they could've won this game.

It's MT, he most likely blamed Subban in some way.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
...Markov wasn't good at all tonite...he's had quite a few off nights lately...

What do you expect, the guy is a #2 on a good team and an excellent #3 on a great team. Therrien has been overplaying him all season, but I can't blame MT for that when you have a whole pairing (emelin/gilbert) that will sink your team if you play them more than 10 minutes.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
at some point management is going to need to make a trade to help the PP at it's going to continue to cost us points.

The only way 'this' PP gets any better is for MB to get a player that can go from the Habs end all the way to the opponents net and score by himself. Otherwise, MT's system will cause any player to not understand that you are supposed to enter the opponents zone with the puck during a PP.

HabsDieHard*

Did he do that thing where he blames everyone except himself?

He has that one down to an art.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Who could we possibly add? when you can throw out a combination of Markov, Gonchar and Subban, you'd think even throwing out a couple timbits would have a legitimate chance at a higher pp% than we currently have.

With those three...plus Patches, Galch and a gaggle of decent forwards...there comes a point when it's not the assets but the one coaching the PP.

HabsDieHard*

Even the opposing teams have said in the past (a player from Philadelphia last year did) that the Habs' power play is predictable.

It's a joke, really.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
What do you expect, the guy is a #2 on a good team and an excellent #3 on a great team. Therrien has been overplaying him all season, but I can't blame MT for that when you have a whole pairing (emelin/gilbert) that will sink your team if you play them more than 10 minutes.

...I'm a big Markov fan, but he is being overused and hasn't looked himself for a couple weeks...we need another Top 4 D to take some of the pressure off him...

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
...I'm a big Markov fan, but he is being overused and hasn't looked himself for a couple weeks...we need another Top 4 D to take some of the pressure off him...

Players like Methot or Sekera comes to mind.

Lets say we get one of them. Do we put Beaulieu on the 3rd pairing? If so, with whom?

Is there any decent RDs available? Zidlicky comes to mind.

EDIT : The problem with Emelin and Gilbert, both are used to rely on their D partner, especially on the breakouts...now that they are together, they keep on giving it to each other until one decides to pass it and most of the times, turns out to be a giveaway.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Players like Methot or Sekera comes to mind.

Lets say we get one of them. Do we put Beaulieu on the 3rd pairing? If so, with whom?

Is there any decent RDs available? Zidlicky comes to mind.

...Braydon Coburn from the Flyers plays the right side, even though he's a LD...

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Coburn
Tinordi/DIMelin - Gonchar/Dilbert

HabsDieHard*

Not sure what he said in his post game presser but you're probably right about not taking any blame for the loss.

Yeah really not a bold prediction on my part at all.

It's quite alarming how much someone who is the coach of a team who supposedly has or had the motto "no excuses" uses excuses to "explain" yet another underwhleming performance from his team.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
...Braydon Coburn from the Flyers plays the right side, even though he's a LD...

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Coburn
Tinordi/DIMelin - Gonchar/Dilbert

Let's not over play Beaulieu, can we? Let the kid develop. Leave on the 2nd or 3rd unit. He's starting to get his game together, not time to give him tough opposition. As for Coburn, I guess that could be an option, he's been awful for the Flyers tho. You sure he plays RD?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Let's not over play Beaulieu, can we? Let the kid develop. Leave on the 2nd or 3rd unit. He's starting to get his game together, not time to give him tough opposition. As for Coburn, I guess that could be an option, he's been awful for the Flyers tho. You sure he plays RD?

...positive Coburn plays the right side...also, would we rather play Markov into the ground so he's totally done for the playoffs??...Beaulieu has shown he's ready to be a Top 4 guy and with two solid Top 4 pairings, we can distribute the icetime better...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Sometimes, i really don't get it....and this is probably why i'll never be a fan of Therrien.
Those decisions that doesn't really make sense.

- Three small forwards. Did well in the O-zone.....not in the D-zone. Can't believe Emelin-Gilbert was their D-pairing on that goal either. Running toward the cliff....

- Powerplay: Dump and Chase all night long, great strategy to put 3 of the smallest guy on the team/NHL to retrieve those puck.

- Let me get this straight, Andrighetto got 3:20 of PP time.....and Sekac a whole second and Eller 0:33. I like the kid, but we need big guy in front of the net, especially with the shot from our D.

- Overtime....Pens are sending Crosby, Therrien answered with Desharnais. MT played Plek or Eller all night long against Crosby, don't stop there. Almost lost right there and generate nothing offensively.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Sometimes, i really don't get it....and this is probably why i'll never be a fan of Therrien.
Those decisions that doesn't really make sense.

- Three small forwards. Did well in the O-zone.....not in the D-zone. Can't believe Emelin-Gilbert was their D-pairing on that goal either. Running toward the cliff....

- Powerplay: Dump and Chase all night long, great strategy to put 3 of the smallest guy on the team/NHL to retrieve those puck.

- Let me get this straight, Andrighetto got 3:20 of PP time.....and Sekac a whole second and Eller 0:33. I like the kid, but we need big guy in front of the net, especially with the shot from our D.

- Overtime....Pens are sending Crosby, Therrien answered with Desharnais. MT played Plek or Eller all night long against Crosby, don't stop there. Almost lost right there and generate nothing offensively.

...it's all part of his strategy, remember...;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad