Pgh 2-1 OT loss: 1 point at least

HabsDieHard*

Pretty much every game, whether the Habs win or lose, you can count on a handful of decisions by Therrien and co. that range from puzzling to downright stupid.

There is quite literally zero logic in putting Desharnais and Pacioretty together at 4 on 4.

The power play is so laughably predictable that it really is a wonder they don't give up goals on it more often.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
What do you expect, the guy is a #2 on a good team and an excellent #3 on a great team. Therrien has been overplaying him all season, but I can't blame MT for that when you have a whole pairing (emelin/gilbert) that will sink your team if you play them more than 10 minutes.

Those two guys are so inconsistent-- It's unbearable, something must be done. Too bad Tinordi's injured.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You can't be 2 men short playing 4 on 4? That has to be wrong.

Nope. Rule 84.3 says in OT a penalty taken while 4 on 3 would result in a 5 on 3 manpower advantage.

In overtime, if a team is penalized such that a two-man advantage is called for, then the offending team will remain at three (3) skaters while the non-offending team will be permitted a fifth skater.

The poster here who suggested having a player jump into the play was actually pretty brilliant.

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014
teams need to go through tough times and make mistakes to get better

i want to focus on the positives

christian thomas looked really good, not out of place, it is great that they gave him a look

carey price. wow! the save on crosby in overtime especially, carey is dialed in

sekac got hammered tonight by checks constantly and did not cower or quit, however i think he would be more useful on a more offensive line, he is not afraid to get in front of the net even after getting crunched all night

that brings me to eller, who has become tremendously adept defensively and is developing beyond needing special wingers like sekac, eller is evolving out of his role

next weise on the 2nd line does not look terrible, he can play above the grinder role

but i can see where parenteau is missed there however even though pap wasn't producing goals a lot before he was hurt but would provide the more timely goals the team needs in these close games

pacioretty's missing of the open net sealed the game, 9/10 times he makes that and perhaps he and pk could communicate better on the ice, even great players miss sometimes so i don't want to read more into it than what it was

plekanec's broken stick on the powerplay goal very unfortunate...maybe therrien runs line change drills at practice no? :D

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014
Pretty much every game, whether the Habs win or lose, you can count on a handful of decisions by Therrien and co. that range from puzzling to downright stupid.

There is quite literally zero logic in putting Desharnais and Pacioretty together at 4 on 4.

The power play is so laughably predictable that it really is a wonder they don't give up goals on it more often.

galchenyuk had a tough night so i don't hate the reuniting of those two for a shift in overtime

i don't have an answer for the powerplay and it is very important for the team going forward, what do you think should be done there?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
galchenyuk had a tough night so i don't hate the reuniting of those two for a shift in overtime

i don't have an answer for the powerplay and it is very important for the team going forward, what do you think should be done there?

1st PP

Pacs Chucky Sekac - our 3 most talented fwds stacked up front - an out there concept some teams use...
Subban Markov

2nd PP

Eller Pleks PAP - Lars parked in front of the net - again an out there concept to put size in front of the net
Beaulieu Gonchar

No DD and No Gally

And No ****ing Dale Weise or Brandon Prust!! ;)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yup. Sure manny will win some faceoffs but that\s about all. White is younger, grittier, will stand up for himself and his team, and provides something the Habs lack. He also would probably have more points right now than Manny.

I dont know man....we just sorta went back to being small and soft. Gilbert??? Where are the big hits from Subby and Emelin??? When teams start to pound us...it gets old.

You would think that a decade of the same old same old, you would be immune to it by now.

We have speed, we have skill, but when the other team turns up the heat we have but one response, turn the other cheek. Our d is butter soft and slow. That is not a winning combination that reveals itself in the playoffs.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
They lost this game because of special teams, plain and simple. Should never have gone to OT but that's what happens when you play a dangerous team and struggle on the powerplay.

At this point, I'm really not sure what the hell is going on and why they haven't shown any improvement but it is what it is. The team is still in a great position and just needs to bounce back and start another streak.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They lost this game because of special teams, plain and simple. Should never have gone to OT but that's what happens when you play a dangerous team and struggle on the powerplay.

At this point, I'm really not sure what the hell is going on and why they haven't shown any improvement but it is what it is. The team is still in a great position and just needs to bounce back and start another streak.

The powerplay sucks because it's the only thing not directly related to Carey Price. Everything else sucks but he helps it out.

HABSonaroll

Mar 20, 2013
+ The Habs have become soft - Pens out hit us 2 to 1 - want to see some more big hits from PK - Emelin + Eller should be able to throw them too :hit:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Habs really need to find some way to generate some offense and get that PP looking at least somewhat competent.

Also MT needs to accept that putting DD with Pleks isn't working. I'm not sure how many games ago MT put DD and Pleks together but DD has 1 point in his last 6 games.. DD is strictly an offensive minded player and if he isn't putting up points what use is he to the Habs lineup?

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

The PP was so horrendously bad last night. At some point, they were just loitering in the neutral zone hoping to get a good zone entry with no speed. Was one of the most pathetic 2 minutes of PP I've ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad