HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Paccioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Bourque
Moen-White-Parros
Of course, that's when Prust and Moen re back, which I believe they will before Brière or hope.
I'm not scared by Galchenyuk's defensive developpment He is smart enough to know he should care, which he is, and he hustles constantly. His passing / vision need to be put to better use and that's by being a center that it will happen.

Plekanec and Eller should be getting the tougher matchups, at home anyway.

Parros has been a disastrous experiment so far... his line as been a big minus so far and they can't eat up enough ice time to keep the other three lines fresh

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Overload, come on... Sorry, just wanted to say Overload again. :laugh: Still though, the PGG would be more of an exploitation line, while the Plekanec line would take the harder matchups. Eller's line would be more of a 2nd line than anything. That's not what I'd like to see though.

When healthy:

Patches - Galchenyuk - Bourque/Briere
Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Prust/Bourque - Eller - Gallagher

Take your time, Daniel, take your time. You're more valuable to the Habs on LTIR.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Parros has been a disastrous experiment so far... his line as been a big minus so far and they can't eat up enough ice time to keep the other three lines fresh

I'm not sure that's true. He was brought in as a 13th-14th forward who can fight. He's been that so far. Do you honestly think he's a regular with Moen, Prust and Briere healthy?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois 5m
Pacioretty est toujours avec Galchenyuk (centre) et Gallagher. Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta, Bourque-Eller-Leblanc, Parros-White-Desharnais

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois 5m
Pacioretty est toujours avec Galchenyuk (centre) et Gallagher. Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta, Bourque-Eller-Leblanc, Parros-White-Desharnais

Well, the first three lines look solid, and the 4th sucks because Moen and Prust are injured. Can't really complain.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Well, the first three lines look solid, and the 4th sucks because Moen and Prust are injured. Can't really complain.

And because it has Desharnais on it.

With a full lineup, it seems like he has lost his place on the team.

What's scary and exciting at the same time is that Galchenyuk has the enormous task of producing and carrying us with the two best wingers on the team. It's swim or sink time for the team and it seems that Therrien is out of options for having to rely on a 19 yr old, I didn't see it coming this fast.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
And because it has Desharnais on it.

With a full lineup, it seems like he has lost his place on the team.

What's scary and exciting at the same time is that Galchenyuk has the enormous task of producing and carrying us with the two best wingers on the team. It's swim or sink time for the team and it seems that Therrien is out of options for having to rely on a 19 yr old, I didn't see it coming this fast.

People were begging for galchenyuk to take DD's spot since last year. Why are people doing a 180 now?

I agree Galchenyuk maybe shouldn't be in that position but I really don't get our fanbase. People wanted this, it's been given.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
People were begging for galchenyuk to take DD's spot since last year. Why are people doing a 180 now?

I agree Galchenyuk maybe shouldn't be in that position but I really don't get our fanbase. People wanted this, it's been given.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing. Nowhere did I state my opinion I was just point out facts from an observer standpoint. I think the timing is right for this transition.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing. Nowhere did I state my opinion I was just point out facts from an observer standpoint. I think the timing is right for this transition.

Fair enough. I see no harm in trying personally and I don't see it as a sink or swim.

We have Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk, we only need 2 to produce top 6 C numbers.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

A fanbase is not homogeneous. And there is more nuance to the situation than 'chucky replace dd'.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
A fanbase is not homogeneous. And there is more nuance to the situation than 'chucky replace dd'.

The problem I have is less the idea of Chucky replacing DD - something a lot of us would have loved to see even last year.

The problem is people want to give a line with Galchenyuk as C as many minutes as possible, which could be a disaster on a team that has already struggled to maintain possession lately. Yes, he's already one of the best playmakers on this team, but he's also been a turnover machine, and this was on the wing where Eller was given most of the grunt work.

Give him PP time and exploitation time, but his even strength playing time will likely be behind Plekanec and Eller for now...and you just know people around here will freak out about that.

And then there's still the question about what to do with Desharnais - and when he returns, Briere. Unfortunately both haven't killed off all their chances yet.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I like the 3 line balance this approach brings. It could pose a lot of matchup problems for coaches who rely on it. What I don't like is exposing galchenyuk this early at centre because he has shown that he needs a fair amount of work away from the puck. Either you are playing galchenyuk too much and risk damaging his mentality at a young age, or you shelter galchenyuk and patches does not play enough.

Interesting experiment though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not sure that's true. He was brought in as a 13th-14th forward who can fight. He's been that so far. Do you honestly think he's a regular with Moen, Prust and Briere healthy?

He was brought here to hurt us, with under 5 minutes of ice time, he finished a -3. That was a horrible game. He's played 3 games and that's the biggest impact he's had thus far. But this isn't surprising. There's a never ending debate about how enforcers are useless.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It will be interesting what MT will do if PGG has success and Briere/Moen/Prust return. I'm guessing:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Briere
Moen - Desharnais - Prust

Leblanc to AHL.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He was brought here to hurt us, with under 5 minutes of ice time, he finished a -3. That was a horrible game. He's played 3 games and that's the biggest impact he's had thus far. But this isn't surprising. There's a never ending debate about how enforcers are useless.

Even if you think heavyweight enforcers who do nothing else have a role (I'm not getting into this again), he essentially sinks the entire 4th line, which is already in pitiful shape to begin with. I know some people don't want to hear it because of the narrative that Armstrong was useless for not being overtly physical but our 4th line played a huge part in burning minutes last year and the entire system is hurting without that.

If we must use Parros to respond to specific situations, every other game we are better off even with Blunden.

It will be interesting what MT will do if PGG has success and Briere/Moen/Prust return. I'm guessing:

Bourque - Eller - Briere

Leblanc to AHL.

That 3rd line is ugly. It'll be given almost exclusively defensive zone starts, making Briere useless, and likely limiting whatever two way impact Bourque and his low hockey IQ have. All three take dumb penalties too.

At this point I'd rather give Leblanc a chance there.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Bourque - Eller - Briere

Leblanc to AHL.

I'd swap Briere and Prust.

Prust will complete Eller's line better than Briere...

DD and Briere can rot on the 4th line for all I care.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

"DD is destroying Galchenyuk's development as a center" had a pretty strong backing.

With Gallagher and Pacioretty, he should be given the exact same opportunity.

If DD could be average in the role, why can't galchenyuk be that and more?

The only problem is Eller suffers on the 3rd line but as I said for the last while...It was never Eller vs DD. It was always DD vs Galchenyuk. Eller was never ever expected to take top 6 C position. With 3 points in last 12 games(1 as Vancouver into own net and the other as a deflection off galchenyuk's skate) there was little reason to keep the EGG line intact and if DD didn't suck, maybe galchenyuk would still be on the wing. At this point though, they are fast tracking but I really don't see the harm.

I actually think the PGG line can be very dangerous as soon as next game.

Of course, I'm assuming this line will be given some soft minutes at ES.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Bourque - Eller - Briere

Leblanc to AHL.

Pacioretty-eller-briere
bournival-plekanec-gionta
Bourque galchenyuk Gallagher
prust white moen

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'd swap Briere and Prust.

Prust will complete Eller's line better than Briere...

DD and Briere can rot on the 4th line for all I care.

Except that weakens the 4th line. One of Briere make sense paired with Eller and Bourque, because they both create space for line mates. Even DD has a higher offensive ceiling than Prust. Pair Prust, White and Moen and you get one of the best 4th lines in the league, one that can provide positive possession and can grind it out against any line.

I won't get into DD and Briere, my opinion hasn't changed since Briere was signed.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
when everybody healthy i'd like to see following lineup:

pacioretty plekanec gionta
galchenyuk eller gallagher
bournival briere bourque
prust desharnais moen

markov subban
emelin gorges
murray diaz

price
budaj

briere is awful on the right wing and therrien should try him down the middle. desharnais with prust might create something against opponent's fourth lines like he did back in a days with pouliot...

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Except that weakens the 4th line. One of Briere make sense paired with Eller and Bourque, because they both create space for line mates. Even DD has a higher offensive ceiling than Prust. Pair Prust, White and Moen and you get one of the best 4th lines in the league, one that can provide positive possession and can grind it out against any line.

I won't get into DD and Briere, my opinion hasn't changed since Briere was signed.

Who cares about the 4th line, let's concentrate on lines that plays 15min+. If our 4th line is weak, play it 6-7 minutes.

Prust is more effective on the top 9 than a 4th line... He started the season on the 4th line and he was barely noticeable... when MT put him with Plekanec, he played great.

Prust IMO is a better winger than Briere and he's a better complement for Eller.

With that said, I don't expect to see Briere-DD on the 4th line but you never know... We saw a 7.3M$ Gomez and a 3.5M$AK on the 4th line before.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I know it will eventually happen, but I'm really looking forward to Chucky using his wrister successfully on a consistent basis. Him and Eller have the most natural ability to snipe and while we see other teams' stars doing it on a regular basis, those two need to use their shots more. They seem to be going high and wide way too much given their talent. Patch used to have such a wicked shot too, I dunno where it's gone. (Though that crossbar was evidence of it as he got going late in the avs game.)

One thing Chuck is so awesome at is the saucer. Such a beautiful thing to watch, but it confounds me that he can't seem to find the back of the net with a top corner wrister, which I imagine he should be able to do in his sleep. Either way, looking forward to him potentially playing C. I wonder how many periods that'll last.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
The only place I think Chucky will have a hard time is on the playoff circle. Besides that, he should be able to play with any of our top wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad