Line Combos: PGG Line

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well, unless you consider Eller to be a better player than Tomas Plekanec, yes.

Probably, but he'll at least have Bourque with him so he'll do okay.

Yea. But a great 3rd line C that plays 14-16 minutes a game, kills penalties, forechecks hard, the prototypical 3rd line center.

I think it's a bad move then. As much as I like Galchenyuk, Eller is the better player thus far. It wouldn't be the right move.

Not a good idea. Start galchenyuk off with 13-15 minutes a game at the center position, he needs to learn the defensive game before being put out there as a #1 C.

I agree. Plekanec and Eller should be top 2.

Robiyardov

Jun 27, 2006
This.

Paccioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Bourque
Moen-White-Parros

Of course, that's when Prust and Moen re back, which I believe they will before Brière or hope.
I'm not scared by Galchenyuk's defensive developpment He is smart enough to know he should care, which he is, and he hustles constantly. His passing / vision need to be put to better use and that's by being a center that it will happen.

Plekanec and Eller should be getting the tougher matchups, at home anyway.

Apr 28, 2010
With Prust/Moen healthy, I hope MT finally benches DD. No more excuses.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Leblanc
Prust-White-Moen
Parros

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
The second Chucky was at center, that line was dominating. I vote keep'em together.
Also, GPG kinda sounds better :sarcasm:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
About time they move him to center, the kid is ready to dominate, he's special and should be treated as such. I've wanted this line since the offseason, I'm thrilled they finally brought them together.

I like Bournival and Plekanec together... with Gionta, it isn't toal good but isn't bad either.

Eller needs Briere back and with Bourque that could work... I would prefer a star winger for Eller, but that doesn't seem likely.

Can't wait for the return of Prust and finally have a decent 4th line.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
About time they move him to center, the kid is ready to dominate, he's special and should be treated as such. I've wanted this line since the offseason, I'm thrilled they finally brought them together.

I like Bournival and Plekanec together... with Gionta, it isn't toal good but isn't bad either.

Eller needs Briere back
and with Bourque that could work... I would prefer a star winger for Eller, but that doesn't seem likely.

Can't wait for the return of Prust and finally have a decent 4th line.

lol what? :help: Pretty sure Eller needs someone who he can pass the puck to without automatically losing possession. Briere is pretty much the older, floating and slower version of Desharnais.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I really hope Therrien gives this line a chance for a couple games.This is our future first line in my opinion. I'd really like to see what Chucky can do centering for those guys and if they can get any chemistry going.

Thanks
That line was used 5:31 in third period.
As Therrien said: experience to repeat.

penalty shot*

Any line with Desharnais on it is rendered useless, along with the 2 other players on the line. Let him sit in the pressbox, and put Leblanc on that line.

agreed how worse can he be:D

as a bottom 6 Lou should stick with us

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Plekanec will still do most of the heavy lifting.

I think they'll be more of a 2nd line.

Galchenyuk couldn't figure the defensive side of things on the wing, he's only looked worse defensively as a centre. Would need to be in an exploitation role, which is fine. Give him bourque and gallagher.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Really tired of people saying he is not ready defensively to play center. Offensive development is more important for me right now. We need an offensive center star. Defense will come with time.

Sure, but it means playing this line in an exploitation role given exclusively offensive zone starts, which means only so many minutes.

Personally I hate how we are continuing to waste Pacioretty on exploitation lines when he is clearly good enough to play more difficult matchups.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Really tired of people saying he is not ready defensively to play center. Offensive development is more important for me right now. We need an offensive center star. Defense will come with time.

You know how hard it is to develop anything when you're constantly under attack in your own zone, unable to breakout? Yeah...

You start him off slow. You give him Maxpac and Gallagher and they will be targetted by other teams, and galchenyuk hasn't even been able to handle being targetted on the wing, let alone center. No problem with having him an exploitation role. I would have used him there last year, tbh... but you know...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You know how hard it is to develop anything when you're constantly under attack in your own zone, unable to breakout? Yeah...

You start him off slow. You give him Maxpac and Gallagher and they will be targetted by other teams, and galchenyuk hasn't even been able to handle being targetted on the wing, let alone center. No problem with having him an exploitation role. I would have used him there last year, tbh... but you know...

They weren't when DD was there.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I think it's a bad move then. As much as I like Galchenyuk, Eller is the better player thus far. It wouldn't be the right move.

I agree. Plekanec and Eller should be top 2.

Maybe Eller is more complete but we need to score goals right now. Galchenyuk is much, much better offensively.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I don't think putting Eller on the 3rd line is a good idea. Hrs struggling right now, 2 points in his last 10 games, I'm not sure what's going on here... (haven't been able to watch the full games in a while, just highlights the next morning, so if someone can give me some insight to how Eller is playing now, that'd be helpful), thanks

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

What no one is saying is that even at his age, Chuckie will likely be more of an offensive threat than his opposing center except for about 7 teams.

It is the other teams no. 2 C that will have to worry about him.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Depends on your take on this team. If you think they are a legit playoff team, you may go with the status quo.

However, this team could very well be a bubble team or worse, thus the experience for the future would be huge

This summer I said that Chuckie might take DD's spot in February. I was wrong. Buckle your seat belts, this is gonna be a rough ride. Enjoy it, because this where Chuckie learns to become our no. 1 C. It's gonna be ugly, and fantastic.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Exactement mon amis

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
They weren't when DD was there.

MT actually took enough care to line match them away as hard as it is to believe. :laugh:

When EGG was matched up against opposition top D and top 6 MT didn't do anything and let them play them. Probably partly because the 3rd line needed the soft matchups and that EGG managed to hold their own defensively while creating some offense chances (at least statistically more chances than their opposition while on the ice). During this stretch Galchenyuk constantly faced tough matchups but as a winger. I figured it was a way to speed up his move to center but not this soon.

If by chance MT actually puts Eller on the 3rd line with Bourque/Leblanc instead of the 4th with DD and other scrubs, theoretically PGG can have that DD type exploitation minutes as on paper at least Bourque-Eller-Leblanc should be able to go up against 2nd wave offensive players defensively.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bournival - Plekanec - Gointa
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc

Eller basically running as a Plekanec 2.0 with one of his regular linemates in Bourque + a young player who is sound defensively. A possible glimpse into the future where the Habs can stream 3 lines against anyone. Plek is still only 31 so realistically this can be the 123 punch at C for the next 4-5 years.

On the flip side...Habs called up St.Pierre, have Desharnais that they'll likely give 14min at least too/game, and White/Parros. I fear what MT will make as a bottom 6 and have a strong feeling it's going to be DD either on Eller's LW or St.Pierre. I doubt he's dumb enough to move Eller to LW.

Last edited:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Slightly off topic but is it just me or others seeing a quiet chemistry emerge between Galchenyuk and Subban?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Slightly off topic but is it just me or others seeing a quiet chemistry emerge between Galchenyuk and Subban?

You've played right? The best players always combine eventually.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd rather Gionta on the right side with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk, just to help on the defensive side of things.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gionta
Bournival - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Briere/Leblanc

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
I'd rather Gionta on the right side with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk, just to help on the defensive side of things.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gionta
Bournival - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Briere/Leblanc

This could actually be pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad