PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Latin*

kmad said:
Hehe..

I've only seen one game by Malkin, and I may have misinterpreted his game, but he seemed very lazy. He is a complete offensive package but he failed to backcheck hard at all. Also I didn't see him use his size very much, while Bergeron throws a lot of hits. I was paying close attention to both him and Ovechkin.

That said, I think Ovechkin is the best player on both teams right now.
\

You must have missed Malkin crushing O'Sullivan in the final minutes of yesterday's game...

anyone have a pic of that?

S L

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
kmad said:
Hehe..

I've only seen one game by Malkin, and I may have misinterpreted his game, but he seemed very lazy. He is a complete offensive package but he failed to backcheck hard at all. Also I didn't see him use his size very much, while Bergeron throws a lot of hits. I was paying close attention to both him and Ovechkin.

That said, I think Ovechkin is the best player on both teams right now.
i have only seen him in two games, one he spent bounceing pucks off his wingers sticks and didn't look that good till he started to try to do things himself. the second game he looked much better,skateing shooting, and crushing players with great checks, even out playing ao. he dosen't look like he is skateing fast but no one can catch him.
its real hard to judge a player by one or two games even the great ones have off nights.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
CSKA said:
O man do you saw him play ? 2006/2003/2002 no problem !!!

And what means :lol ha ? This kid has so much talent you just dont know it ! But hey i know Crosby all the way babyyyyyyyyyyyyy :shakehead

I wouldn't say he's better than Nash... pretty close race, but Nash would still be the no 1 over Malkin simply because he's a pure goal scorer...

Sort of Bure/Fedorov comparaison; the most spectacular and best scorer is Bure, but Fedorov is a better player... so..

Agreed about Fleury and Kessel/Frolik ... I'm pretty sure any GM would pick Malkin over them.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
Richards got more leadership but not more offensive power than Lisin SORRY !

He might be more talented offensively, and I don't think he is, but he isn't even Richard's LEAGUE when it comes to all around ability. Not even close. Richard's is infinately better defensively, he's better in the corners, he's a better playmaker, he's feistier, he's just flat out better.

As for Shirikov being better than Carter, I haven't stopped laughing about this one. Carter, imo, has been the best player on team Canada in this tournement. The kid has flat out dominated on a line where he's being asked to go up against the other teams top forwards. I think Carter could be the best player in this game and will play a big part in limiting Ovechkin's chances because of his great speed and size.

man for man, no one can compete with Canada's depth offensively and defensively. There is a reason that many 1st round picks were not able to make this team Canada. There are many future NHL stars on this team Canada, most of them are 18 or 19 and many of them would be in the NHL right now if they were playing (Carter, Richards, Phaneuf, Bergeron, etc....). That being said, most years Canada clearly has the best set of players and it hasn't translated to victory in quite a few years.

I just see Canada overwhelming Russia with their great depth. I think with Canada's skill, the Ovechkin line and the Malkin line will be asked to play a ton of minutes and by the end of the game, they will have worn down. If Canada can make this a physical game, I see them pulling away in the 3rd period and winning be 3 goals.

Prediction:
Canada 6
Russia 3

Goals:
Canada: Carter (2), Crosby (2), Bergeron, Dawes
Russia: Malkin (2), Shirikov

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Steve Latin said:
\

You must have missed Malkin crushing O'Sullivan in the final minutes of yesterday's game...

anyone have a pic of that?

S L

I could only catch that game by radio, we don't get RDS

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
I wouldn't say he's better than Nash... pretty close race, but Nash would still be the no 1 over Malkin simply because he's a pure goal scorer...

Sort of Bure/Fedorov comparaison; the most spectacular and best scorer is Bure, but Fedorov is a better player... so..

Agreed about Fleury and Kessel/Frolik ... I'm pretty sure any GM would pick Malkin over them.
First, you must remember that Bouwmeester was the real #1 pick in that draft, but the trade dropped him down to 3. In addition, I don't think Malkin goes #2 in that draft, I believe he goes #5 in that draft. That's right, all of Nash, Bouwmeester, Lehtonen and Pitkanen would all have gone before Malkin. 2004 was one of the weeker drafts in recent memory with the exception of Ovechkin. Malkin's a very nice player, but he's got a long way to go. He's very talented, but he's a bit of a floater (maybe an understatement) and that won't cut it at the NHL level.

A side note, I hope the Russian team does not disgrace the game of hockey with their show boating tactics like last night, like in previous years. I'd love to see a clean game without all the diving, the taunting, the unnecessary extra curicular activities.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Canada: 6
Russia: 3

Bergeron nets 1 and gets 2 assists, Crosby gets 2 goals, Ladd steps up and gets one, finally Carter will net 2 and beat out Lindross' record of 11 goals in his tourny history. Everyone will know how good Carter is. Philly's going to be dangerous in 3-5 years. :eek:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Gags1288 said:
A side note, I hope the Russian team does not disgrace the game of hockey with their show boating tactics like last night, like in previous years. I'd love to see a clean game without all the diving, the taunting, the unnecessary extra curicular activities.
It won't happend, unless the canadians provoke them (which they don't usually do, it never happened in the past games between these 2 teams). The Americans obviously provoked them...

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Gags1288 said:
First, you must remember that Bouwmeester was the real #1 pick in that draft, but the trade dropped him down to 3. In addition, I don't think Malkin goes #2 in that draft, I believe he goes #5 in that draft. That's right, all of Nash, Bouwmeester, Lehtonen and Pitkanen would all have gone before Malkin. 2004 was one of the weeker drafts in recent memory with the exception of Ovechkin. Malkin's a very nice player, but he's got a long way to go. He's very talented, but he's a bit of a floater (maybe an understatement) and that won't cut it at the NHL level.

I agree for the most part, but I still see him as a top 3 in this draft.. it's always hard to say because teams draft players depending on their needs along with what is still available. But I agree that he wouldn't have been the top pick in that draft.

Your side note is what Canadians say every year, I am used to it right now. You are the best, always been and always will be, and there's only one right way to play hockey and it's the Canadian way. And every other nation is a disgrace to this sport, and they keep on diving, ducking, and scoring silly magnificant goals on incredible plays, which is g@y hockey and the way to play the game is to shoot the puck and pick up the grabge in front of the net... Ok, sorry for my exagerations, but all this bashing is really getting annoying.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
Malkin vs. Zherdev...who would you take?

Malkin without a doubt, although both are great.

The way I see it is there are 4 russian players who are going to dominae this game for years (among with lots of other non russian, dont get me wrong)

Kovalchuk/Ovechkin/Malkin/Zherdev

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
I agree for the most part, but I still see him as a top 3 in this draft.. it's always hard to say because teams draft players depending on their needs along with what is still available. But I agree that he wouldn't have been the top pick in that draft.

Your side note is what Canadians say every year, I am used to it right now. You are the best, always been and always will be, and there's only one right way to play hockey and it's the Canadian way. And every other nation is a disgrace to this sport, and they keep on diving, ducking, and scoring silly magnificant goals on incredible plays, which is g@y hockey and the way to play the game is to shoot the puck and pick up the grabge in front of the net... Ok, sorry for my exagerations, but all this bashing is really getting annoying.

First of all, I think that the players who went 1-4 in that draft were, are, and will be better players that Malkin. That's just the way I see it; two will be dominate D-men, one will be a top 3 NHL goalie, and the last has already scored 40 in a season.

As for your second comment, I'm american. I'm very american and quite frankly, I sometimes also don't appreciate the way that some Canadians (a very small minority) feel that there is nothing beyond Canadian hockey. However, what the Russian squad did last night, what the Russian squad, namely Ilya Kovalchuk (a player I love to watch play) did a few years ago did not represent what these hockey championships are all about. I'm sure you can see that despite being a fan of team Russia.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
CSKA said:
O man do you saw him play ? 2006/2003/2002 no problem !!!

:shakehead Yes I saw malkin once play and i highly respect him but he wouldn´t be the no 1 in the 2002 draft. NASHER is the real deal. Malkin isn´t as good as nash is. Nash is the raining rocket man... and i see him 3 times a week play.

espo*

Gags1288 said:
First of all, I think that the players who went 1-4 in that draft were, are, and will be better players that Malkin. That's just the way I see it; two will be dominate D-men, one will be a top 3 NHL goalie, and the last has already scored 40 in a season.

As for your second comment, I'm american. I'm very american and quite frankly, I sometimes also don't appreciate the way that some Canadians (a very small minority) feel that there is nothing beyond Canadian hockey. However, what the Russian squad did last night, what the Russian squad, namely Ilya Kovalchuk (a player I love to watch play) did a few years ago did not represent what these hockey championships are all about. I'm sure you can see that despite being a fan of team Russia.
i don't appreciate American and Russian fans (a small minority) who do the same thing and always seem to have such short memories about it and then complain about Canadian posters. Now....what about that Canadian-Russian GAME!!I think that is the story here.....not talking about one another but judging this final is the way to keep it here

CH Wizard

Malkin is the real deal.Yesterday(I saw the game on RDS) , He wasn't lazy at all.He almost killed O'Sullivan in the last minute.I said almost killed.He was pretty decent defensively.His skating isn't bad (for a big guy like him)either.He was also solid offensively , He scored a goal on a empty net but He did some real nice moves to get that goal.I hope He'll impress even more in the final.

Just my 2 cents.

espo*

I don't want him to impress me at all,lol,if he is then that means more difficulty in winning the game tommorow.They have some weapons those guys.....a good game should happen.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
dude, I think Bergeron's been the best player on Canadian team.

p.s. Shirokov owns Carter ;)

Gags1288 said:
As for Shirikov being better than Carter, I haven't stopped laughing about this one. Carter, imo, has been the best player on team Canada in this tournement. The kid has flat out dominated on a line where he's being asked to go up against the other teams top forwards. I think Carter could be the best player in this game and will play a big part in limiting Ovechkin's chances because of his great speed and size.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
5-3 Russia

Radulov, Shirikov, Ovechkin (2), Malkin

Crosby, Bergeron, Carter

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
:shakehead Yes I saw malkin once play and i highly respect him but he wouldn´t be the no 1 in the 2002 draft. NASHER is the real deal. Malkin isn´t as good as nash is. Nash is the raining rocket man... and i see him 3 times a week play.

I personally think that the number one pick would be used to address a single teams needs. If you need a playmaking center, Malkin. If you want a scoring winger, Nash. If you want a top goaltender, Lehtonen. If you need a top defensemen, Bouwmeester. I am convinced that all will become very good NHL players though and you can't go wrong with one of the big three from that draft.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
deandebean said:
You guys are putting way too much emphasis on Crosby. The kid is 17, playing with 19 year olds. Jeez, the kid hasn't been drafted yet. Give him a chance.

This game has to be won by the likes of Bergeron, Carter, et al. Not Crosby.

He's a year behind Ovechkin and Malkin, maybe a little more. Both of whom make a living playing w/30 yr olds, and producing...

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:

O dude thats so funny :joker: I mean when we talk about Kovalchuk : A Russian Rocket who will score ton of goals but he never will win a Hart Trophy or win a cup

And what about Nash ha ? "Nash is the raining rocket man" ? He can do it all ? "NASHER is the real deal"

I see Malkin very close to Ovechkin ............but im still think Kovalchuk is best draftet player since 10-15 years !

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
I am a little surprised at some Canadian fans cheering Canada. Reading all the posts when the list of invitees was posted, I recall many saying they were not going to cheer for Canada. Its funny looking back at how so many said there were too many WHL players, and how disgusted they were at Sutter and Hockey Canada. Now, CANADA RULES for them once again....

Vic Rattlehead*

TML-SM said:
dude, I think Bergeron's been the best player on Canadian team.

p.s. Shirokov owns Carter ;)
Please, you can't be serious. Carter is a better player than Shirokov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad