PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MOGiLNY said:
eh, I never said any of these things except that the Americans must've done something to cause the taunting..

nomorekids made a pretty good point though
I know you didn't say that. It was a response to you about the taunting but also to tommi462 about the Canadians showing off. Sometime I'm too lazy to make two separate posts so I combine everything in one. I guess that leads to confusion. :dunce:

High flyin' Habs*

Faaxinho said:
Just realized that the game will start 3.00 am here in Finland. So no sleep because pronze game is before it. :help:
On what channel will you be watching it?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Canuck21t said:
Showing off my butt. To you it may have been a scoring chance but to the player who is on the ice and in action, the angle was not deemed good enough to score. It's so easy to say things from afar but it's something else when you're actually the one doing the action.

The Soviets used to wait for the perfect play before they shoot, would you say that they were showing off? :speechles

Ah, so the chance wasn't good enough for him so decides to give away the puck instead of at least trying to score. Logical.

And yes I would call that showing off, but only when they win games like that.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canuck21t said:
Explain to me why Russia wants the Gold more? Canada should be hungrier since it hasn't won the precious metal since 1997 while Russia has won it a few times since.

Because of Ovechkin and Malkin! They'll be taunting the Canadian players and crowd. :madfire: This is war!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
wilka91 said:
Because of Ovechkin and Malkin! They'll be taunting the Canadian players and crowd. :madfire: This is war!

This seems like a moot point.

What happened three, four, five, six, seven years ago is of no consequence to this team.

The Russians want to win because if they don't they're going to look awfully ridiculous with all the taunting and celebrating.

The Canadians (well, half the team) want to win because of what happened last year.

And, most importantly, both teams want to win because that's why you play the game.

So arguing over who wants it more seems sort of silly doesn't it?

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
ktownhockey said:
My Sentiments exactly.. just glad there's gonna be a hcokey game of any importance...

really though, this might be the first time out of the last 4 meetings between the teams that Canada are favorites...

I'd say in 2002 Canada was sure favorite and I think that team Canada was not weaker than this one.

Russian team in 2002 had a better D than this Russian team, but I think offence and goaltending are quite similar (though someone may argue that this year offence is better, all debatable).

Canada is a favourite in this year final but with notable reservations.

Some history of Russia - Canada head-to-head games:

1998 2-1 OT quarter-final
1999 3-2 OT gold medal game
2000 3-2 semi-final
2001 3-1 robin round
2002 2-5 robin round
2002 5-4 gold medal game
2003 3-2 gold medal game

I think it will be close game with 1 or 2 goals difference in favour of any team.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Dark Metamorphosis said:
that would make sense if there wasn't so much turnover for the junior teams. as mentioned, only AO remains from their last gold medal team.

Ovechkin, Pestunov and Ezhov won gold in 2003.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Who will Sutter play against Ovechkin/Malkin line ? Was Sunday's game a dress rehearsal?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
bb74 said:
AO & EM don't play on the same line (except perhaps PP)...
They typicaly don't play together.

But it will be interesting to see what line goes up against AO.

I expect that we'll probably see Richards' line against him.

And then Carter vs Malkin.

I would think Sutter is going to try to play Bergeron/Sidney against the Russians third line as much as he can.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
pei fan said:
Who will Sutter play against Ovechkin/Malkin line ? Was Sunday's game a dress rehearsal?

I'm guessing Weber and Phaneuf will be on Ovechkin like a ton of bricks. But as for Malkin, I wouldn't know. Malkin and Ovechkin don't play together you know.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I haven't seen Russia play yet so I was going by these threads and from that it
seemed to me they must be on the same line.What I meant by a dress rehearsal
was Sutters move on Sunday to put Phaneuf and Weber with CBP line against
other teams top line.For sure we should see Phaneuf against Ovechkin but it will
be interesting to see what they do after that.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:
They typicaly don't play together.

But it will be interesting to see what line goes up against AO.

I expect that we'll probably see Richards' line against him.

And then Carter vs Malkin.

I would think Sutter is going to try to play Bergeron/Sidney against the Russians third line as much as he can.

I heard they are going to put the Crosby/Bergeron line out against AO's line (with Phanuef & Weber). Then They will play Carter's line against Malkin, moving Belle up to the fourth Dman.
If Perry can't handle the D responsibilites, look for McArthur to jump on the 1st line

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
FLAMESFAN said:
I heard they are going to put the Crosby/Bergeron line out against AO's line (with Phanuef & Weber). Then They will play Carter's line against Malkin, moving Belle up to the fourth Dman.
If Perry can't handle the D responsibilites, look for McArthur to jump on the 1st line

That would be interesting.

It will be very good for the world to see the all around ability of both Crosby and AO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad