PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Puckhead said:
Actually I would like you to go on...but you have already mentioned everyone of note on team Russia.

Hey I can'T say I'm totally objective here but to me

Ovechkin > Crosby
Malkin > Bergeron
Shirokov > Carter
Radulov > Ladd
Khudobin > Glass
Voloshenkov > Dawes
Lisin > Stewart

The only way I can see a Canadian > Russian is on defense.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Russian Fan said:

Ovechkin > Crosby
Malkin > Bergeron
Shirokov > Carter
Radulov > Ladd
Khudobin > Glass
Voloshenkov > Dawes
Lisin > Stewart

I can appreciate that, if that is the way you feel. However, this is not a one on one competition. This is Russia vs. Canada, and apart from the defense, you have discounted Getzlaf, Perry, and Richards, not to mention an incredible fourth line of MacCarthur, Dixon, and Fraser. These guys are going to give the Russian D fits all night long.

Going back to the depth issue. For Russia to win, obviously their best players have to be their best players. Whereas Canada can have any number of guys step up and deliver. Anthony Stewart has not lit it up this WJC, but lets not forget he was tied for the tournament lead last year. The Russians and specifically the D, can't let up for one second against any one of Canada's four lines, or they will find themselves in a hole, that Canada's D may not allow them to get themselves out of.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
:shakehead
Russian Fan said:

Ovechkin > Crosby
Malkin > Bergeron
Shirokov > Carter
Radulov > Ladd
Khudobin > Glass
Voloshenkov > Dawes
Lisin > Stewart

espo*

MOGiLNY said:
if this is true, it also means that Phaneuf has his work cut out for him
of course it does.Ovechkin is what?6'2 and about 210 or 215? and has world class skills...so naturally it won't be walk in the park,it'll be his toughest assignment yet,that was'nt my point of course.Having said that......Ovechkin will have his toughest battle also tommorow and not just against Phaneuf. We'll see won't we?

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeny Malkin
Sergei Shirokov
Roman Voloshenko
Alexander Radulov
Denis Parshin
Enver Lisin

shall I go on ?

If you even dare calling Radulov a star, buddy, you have a problem. The kid can't even be his team's best player in the Q.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
cyclops said:
of course it does.Ovechkin is what?6'2 and about 210 or 215? and has world class skills...so naturally it won't be walk in the park,it'll be his toughest assignment yet,that was'nt my point of course.Having said that......Ovechkin will have his toughest battle also tommorow and not just against Phaneuf. We'll see won't we?

Crosby will also face his toughest battle tomorrow. He has something to prove..... If think Ovechkin will more than once crash the canadian defenense and score a hattrick. if not, russia will lose. the need a stellar goaltending, tough defense and a ovechkin.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Canada has the best defence, by a freaking mile. The Ruskies D is soft as they come. Most are pushovers.

You win by defence. Always been that way.

The Ruskies are potent one-on-one. If Canada can avoid one-on-one confrontations, the Ruskies stand no chance. Because the Ruskies cannot play as a unit anymore. They are individuals. They haven't played like a unit since the "great" Red Army/CCCP years.

This is Canada's tourney to lose. If, by any chance, the Ruskies come out with the win tomorrow, it will have been because Canada has been undisciplined. Can't see it other ways. Ruskies hockey has been all about individualism since the fall of the Soviet Empire.

Sorry, guys. But if Canada sticks to its gun and plays an "in-your-face", very tight game, no way in hell can the Ruskies even get 25 shots on net. Sure, they'll get the odd rushes, because their top 2 players are elite. The rest is irrelevant. That's how the pros have beaten them the last 20 years or so. That's how this team has to play to beat them. Simple as that.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
You guys are putting way too much emphasis on Crosby. The kid is 17, playing with 19 year olds. Jeez, the kid hasn't been drafted yet. Give him a chance.

This game has to be won by the likes of Bergeron, Carter, et al. Not Crosby.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
the fact that Ovechkin is a man playing in mens league is only more evidence that he won't be a pushover for Phaneuf.. tomorrow we'll find out if it's the opposite in fact.

You forget that Phaneuf is widely considered the best defenseman prospect in the world right now. Many people who have seen him play say he's Scott Stevens with more offense. Phaneuf would be playing in the NHL right now if there was no lockout..so he'd be in the top league in the world.

I'm not saying Ovechkin isn't big and doesn't hit hard...I'm just saying Phaneuf is both bigger and stronger and he will get the better of Ovechkin in the physical department.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Russian Fan said:

Ovechkin > Crosby
Malkin > Bergeron
Shirokov > Carter
Radulov > Ladd
Khudobin > Glass
Voloshenkov > Dawes
Lisin > Stewart

I also couldn't let this one go by :) Here's my opinion:

Ovechkin = Crosby - Crosby is a better player, but a year younger means he hasn't developed as much

Malkin < Bergeron - Bergeron has NHL experience and was a force even there. No question here at this point.

Shirokov < Carter - If you disagree, it shows you haven't been watching this tournament.

Radulov = Ladd
Khudobin = Glass
Voloshenkov < Dawes
Lisin < Richards

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
For those of you who think Phanuef is such a monster and will physically dominate Ovechkin...WAKE UP CALL

Hockey DB Figures:

Phanuef - 6"2 - 200 LBS
Ovechkin - 6"1 - 212 LBS

Phanuef has been crunching kids in the WHL while Ovechkin has been known to knock a grown man senseless is Russia.

If anything I could see Ovechkin "Phaneufing" Phaneuf.

I'm sure if those figures are accurate but no matter what, they are close.

Unbiased Canadian

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
tommi462 said:
Not in the Czech game, though.

They outshot the Czechz 42-11.... they out chanced them 24-2

Glass let in a weak one... if it weren't for an incredible performance by Marek Scwartz it would have been 6 or 7-1

Russia will lose... and thats fine

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Sting004 said:

Ovechkin = Crosby - Crosby is a better player, but a year younger means he hasn't developed as much

Malkin < Bergeron - Bergeron has NHL experience and was a force even there. No question here at this point.

Shirokov < Carter - If you disagree, it shows you haven't been watching this tournament.

Radulov = Ladd
Khudobin = Glass
Voloshenkov < Dawes
Lisin < Richards

WRONG!

Ovechkin > Crosby....and Ovechkin is the better player.
Malkin = Bergeron
Carter > Shirikov...Canada wins this one easy.
Radulov > Ladd....Ladd has proven to me in this tournament his offensive upside is about the same as Ken Daneyko (Joking, but still)
Khubdobin > Glass
Dawes > Voloshenko
Richard > Lisin

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Puckhead said:
I can appreciate that, if that is the way you feel. However, this is not a one on one competition. This is Russia vs. Canada, and apart from the defense, you have discounted Getzlaf, Perry, and Richards, not to mention an incredible fourth line of MacCarthur, Dixon, and Fraser. These guys are going to give the Russian D fits all night long.

Going back to the depth issue. For Russia to win, obviously their best players have to be their best players. Whereas Canada can have any number of guys step up and deliver. Anthony Stewart has not lit it up this WJC, but lets not forget he was tied for the tournament lead last year. The Russians and specifically the D, can't let up for one second against any one of Canada's four lines, or they will find themselves in a hole, that Canada's D may not allow them to get themselves out of.

I could have talked about PArshin, Nikulin & Pestunov but why bother , people who never watched them would easily say that their canadians are better because they saw them in the CHL.

I agree that Canada's 4th line is NO MATCH with Russia's 4th line but at this point & on 1 GAME (not a best of 7) 3 lines & 5 D will be enough.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
This should be a good matchup, but I think as long as both teams play to their potential that Canada should take it. Canada must play disciplined hockey, because The Russian Squad has a very powerful powerplay. If Canada can stay focused then we should expect a win.

5-3 Canada
Perry, Ladd, Stewart, Crosby, Getzlaf
Ovechkin, Lisin, Radulov

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
deandebean said:
If you even dare calling Radulov a star, buddy, you have a problem. The kid can't even be his team's best player in the Q.

Well that doesn't mean anything. If stats is your only argument than Lisin must be very good because he played 1st line with full of NHLers in Kazan.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
tommi462 said:
I would post more, but since I seemed to get some sort of a warning and do not wish to get banned I will only say this:

You say Schwartz handled rebounds, I say he bounced the puck. A lot. Canadians were just unlucky to never be there in the rebounds when they happened. Once Schwartz even hit a Canadian player with his glove trying to catch the puck and ended up not even getting the puck. He looked nervous more and more towards the end and yet the Canadians failed to take advantage.

You say Canadians weren't showing off, I can only ask you these:

What do you call it then when you pass from a scoring chance and end up losing the puck? What do you call it when you circle around the goal 2-3 times and don't take a shot even though you have a chance and end up losing the puck? (I call this showing off, maybe because I don't know a better word for it in the English language, but this is what I meant anyway.)

What do you call it when all your shots are aimed at the center of the goal instead of the posts? (I call that poor finishing.)
He faced 23 GD scoring chances and only let in 3... thats pretty good in my books

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Unbiased Canadian said:
For those of you who think Phanuef is such a monster and will physically dominate Ovechkin...WAKE UP CALL

Hockey DB Figures:

Phanuef - 6"2 - 200 LBS
Ovechkin - 6"1 - 212 LBS

The WHL Media Guide has Phaneuf listed at 6'3, 208 lbs, a figure taken before the season.

Ironically enough, they are the exact same figures that they have Shea Weber listed at, someone Ovechkin's certainly going to have to keep his head up for as well.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Sting004 said:

Radulov = Ladd
Khudobin = Glass
Voloshenkov < Dawes
Lisin < Richards

NHL experience & RSL experience, does it matter ? Malkin is way more explosive than Bergeron

I've been watching all canada's game & if you don'T know Shirokov , then you only watched the Canada's game on The Subjective Network

Every year that the russians are going to the final , every Canadian fan underrate our goalie & it's not unusual again this year.

Richards got more leadership but not more offensive power than Lisin SORRY !

Again Voloshenko is a top 6 NHL material while Dawes will be an energy 3rd line player for the Rangers that says it all. I still like Dawes very much though.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Aaron Vickers said:
The WHL Media Guide has Phaneuf listed at 6'3, 208 lbs, a figure taken before the season.

Ironically enough, they are the exact same figures that they have Shea Weber listed at, someone Ovechkin's certainly going to have to keep his head up for as well.

I had a feeling 6"2 200 was a little low for Phanuef.....however Ovechkin is solid as hell....I don't see him getting flattened by either of them. Someone like Shirokov etc. but not one of the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad