PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Hmmm...
Interesting! Look at the poll at www.nhl.com
57% think that Russia will win! Strange for such a biased pro NA site!
Finaly, people are becoming realistic! :p:

GO RUSSIA FOR GOLD!!!!!!!!!

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Originally Posted by tommi462
You say Canadians weren't showing off, I can only ask you these:

What do you call it then when you pass from a scoring chance and end up losing the puck? What do you call it when you circle around the goal 2-3 times and don't take a shot even though you have a chance and end up losing the puck?

are you being serious?? you think that's the same as calling out the crowd? the same as pointing at the name on the back of your jersey? the same as skating by the bench twirling your glove around like an idiot? the same as crossing into the other teams end during warm-ups without a puck and faking shots at the other team's goalie??? (if AO tries it against Canada, it won't be pretty)
Support your boys, defend them all you like, it doesn't bother me at all i would do the same but please try to refrain from asinine comparisons like the one you made above.

It is completely absurd and makes you look extremely foolish.

Nik#11

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Defence wins championships, and Canada's D is in a different league from Russia's in this tournament.

The Czechs had to lay back and not even try to score to make the game close. And even then they still needed a huge performance from Schwarz to keep it even close.

Russia will not sit back like the Czechs, which will allow Canada to blow the game open.

I predict 7-1 Canada.

Ronin_RO

Jan 2, 2005
10-0 Canada :joker:

nah...4 - 2 Russia. I dont know this reminds me of Halifax when Canada was supposed to win and Russia had I a crazy offensive machine.

But we will see...i can guarantee a good game though :D

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
High scoring game IMO.

Canada 7, Russia 5. Canada's forwards are too good for the RUssian goalie and defense. Russia's forwards are so good that the Canadian defense will have a real challenge.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
yes, paint everyone with the same brush..

If they all walk like a duck.....

I predict a 7-3 Canada win. The russian defence won't be able to control Canadas offence while the russian forwards will be able to put a couple goals in the net.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Canada 3 Russia 1

Canada scorers: Crosby, Dixon, Perry

Russia: Malkin

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
TORRUS said:
Hmmm...
Interesting! Look at the poll at www.nhl.com
57% think that Russia will win! Strange for such a biased pro NA site!
Finaly, people are becoming realistic! :p:

GO RUSSIA FOR GOLD!!!!!!!!!
What does a poll have anything to do with reality? If you break each team down as forwards, defense, and goaltending, then add in the system they play and how they execute that system, and you will find your champion.

Taking that criteria, any fan of hockey and the WJC, if being truly un-biased, that Canada has more horses and shold win this game. Of course the ever popular saying reads somethink like this..."The games are not won on paper, that's why they play them on the ice" so obviously to make it to the final, both teams have shown enough to both be deserving, but I will stick with Canada on this one.

I understand that these boards get filled up with crazy talk, about how "my country is better than your country" or "my Dad can beat up your Dad" scenarios, but for those of us who love this game, and truly watch it for the think of beauty that it is, we take the strengths and weaknesses of each team, and try to rationally formulate an opinion. I really believe that Canada will win.

I don't say that because I dislike Russia or don't think that they have a chance. I state my opinion which is based largely on what I have seen take place in this tournament. Lets look at how both teams got here and then make a desicion shall we...

The Russians coming into this tourney were one of three nations everyone was touting as a medal favorite, along with Canada and the host nation, and defending champs team USA. The Russians drew the US in the first round robin game. The US held on for a 5-4 win, in a game where defense was non existant and the goaltending was quite bad.

Game 2 for the Russians saw them take on the Czech Republic and that ended with the Russians taking care of business 4-1.

Game 3 Russia smokes the happless Belarussians 7-2.

Game 4 Russia hammers the Swiss 6-1.

Then they outplay the US in the Semis 7-2, and earn the right to play for the GOLD!

Team Canada has been nothing short of incredible.
They began the tourney with a 7-3 thumping of Slovakia,
followed that up with an utter dismantling of the Swedes,
trounced Germany 9-0,
topped Finland 8-1,
and took care of the Czechs in the semis 3-1.
For the right to play for GOLD!

Now we could throw these scores out of the equation as I am sure most of you rooting for Russia will simply say that all of those clubs were lesser lights and were not worthy adversaries for team Canada. So lets not dwell on the final scores, lets instead look at how the games were played.

Russia is a very offensively gifted team. With very skillful and talented forwards. The Defense is nothing to right home about, but they are very steady and can chip in with some offense when needed.
The Galtending is quite good, and I feel that Khudobin may have a very big game left in him yet.

The Canadians are also very gifted offensively, but are not as flashy as the Russians and for this reason many people think that their offense is second to the Russians.
The Defense is a force. They are all big, they are all mobile, they take the body, and they can all chip in on offense.
The Goaltending is adequate. By adequate, I do not want to make Jeff Glass sound unworthy, but due to the low shot count on him each game, he really hasn't had to save the Canadian bacon if you will.

Then come the intangiables. Here is where the game is won and lost. The Russians rely heavily on puck possession and all out offense.
The Canadians blend strong Defense and puck possession, along with a very strong work ethic.

When you factor in that Canada let the gold medal slip out of their hands last year, and that they have 12 returning players who remember what that felt like, you have a real powder keg of emotion ready to explode. The beautiful part of this team Canada is that coach Sutter understands all of this and has his entire team on the same page. They are focused on winning the gold and nothing else matters.

My opinion is that Canada will win in what could be one of the greatest games the WJC has ever seen.

The final score will be...4-2 Canada.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Will there be any streaming audio or video on the net for this game?

It sucks the US is hosting the tournament, and I wont be able to see any of it for another three weeks when I finally get my hands on a tape off of e-bay.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I'd like to see a Bergeron / Crosby : AO match-up. My bet is if this happens, AO doesn't put anything up all night. Bergeron is VERY aware and responsible defensively and as long as Perry or whowever is on his right wing plays 2-way hockey, Bergeron will look like Madden out there...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad