Denis Parshin
Enver Lisin
If these guys are STARS then 50 percent of the tournament is

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
For those of you who think Phanuef is such a monster and will physically dominate Ovechkin...WAKE UP CALL

Hockey DB Figures:

Phanuef - 6"2 - 200 LBS
Ovechkin - 6"1 - 212 LBS

Phanuef has been crunching kids in the WHL while Ovechkin has been known to knock a grown man senseless is Russia.

If anything I could see Ovechkin "Phaneufing" Phaneuf.

I'm sure if those figures are accurate but no matter what, they are close.

Unbiased Canadian

I think you should wake up. If Phaneuf catches Ovechkin with his head down, expect Ovechkin to be put on his ass. I dont care who you are, and where you play, if you get caught with your head down, you are going down. Phaneuf isn't Tootoo who runs around looking to finish every check regardless if the intended target has his head down or not. He picks his spots when the opportunity is there for the taking. If Ovechkin keeps his head up when crossing paths with Dion, Phaneuf will not over committ himself going for the big hit... Thats how you get schooled as a defender one on one off the rush, especially against a guy with Ovechkin's skills. And yes, Ovechkin is fully capable of laying Phaneuf out with a big time hit as well, if the right opporunity presents itself.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Unbiased Canadian said:
WRONG!

Ovechkin > Crosby....and Ovechkin is the better player.
Malkin = Bergeron
Carter > Shirikov...Canada wins this one easy.
Radulov > Ladd....Ladd has proven to me in this tournament his offensive upside is about the same as Ken Daneyko (Joking, but still)
Khubdobin > Glass
Dawes > Voloshenko
Richard > Lisin

Seems about right...

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
The only person you gotta question in this game is Glass. He has yet to see a lot of action in this tournament and this game is gonna be his busiest by far. If he can keep us in, we will win. If he is letting in softy's like the Olesz goal, Russia could take this one.

I cant wait to watch this game.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Aaron Vickers said:
The WHL Media Guide has Phaneuf listed at 6'3, 208 lbs, a figure taken before the season.

Ironically enough, they are the exact same figures that they have Shea Weber listed at, someone Ovechkin's certainly going to have to keep his head up for as well.

Canada's Defense/WHL Media Guide
Dion Phaneuf - 6'3 - 208 LBS
Shea Weber - 6'3 - 208 LBS
Shawn Belle - 6'2 - 224 LBS
Brent Seabrook - 6'2 - 215 LBS
Braydon Coburn - 6'5 - 210 LBS

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Unbiased Canadian said:
I had a feeling 6"2 200 was a little low for Phanuef.....however Ovechkin is solid as hell....I don't see him getting flattened by either of them. Someone like Shirokov etc. but not one of the big boys.

It doesn't matter how tall you are, or how much you weigh it's how you position yourself to hit and the impact you present to the contact.

Phanuef is a hitter and will hit. This doesn't mean he will dominate AO. I think he'll use his defensive tools for this not JUST his body checking skills.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can't believe how many people are underplaying Schwarz's role in the Canadian/Czech semi-final. In my mind this guy was frigging sensational and was maybe the best player in that game. He was almost positionally perfect and demonstrated a huge amount of poise in a game where Canada held the Czech zone magnificently.

If Russia had Schwarz I'd be pretty worried. But they don't and their defense is also possibly worse then the Czech's. You have the two best offensive teams in the tournament, but Canada has the better defense by a mile. Goaltending is pretty comparable, but Canada should win this one due to the fact they have possibly the most dominant defensive group in tournament history.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Russian Fan said:
Again Voloshenko is a top 6 NHL material while Dawes will be an energy 3rd line player for the Rangers that says it all. I still like Dawes very much though.

In a game like this, I could care less if Voloshenko is projected to be a 1st liner and Dawes a career minor leaguer.

In a one game, winner take all, I'm not concerned about top end potential five years from now, I'm more concerned with what level each player is currently on.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I dont know but i keep hearing how powerful the russia offense is...
Canada offense now own the record of the most goals scored in the round-games.

While i hope this game stay close (perhaps we'll see a "real" game with team Canada in this year tournament as only the semi-final was close in scoring but still a blow-out in about everything else), i think the only team that could make Canada lost this year is themselves. There's not a team in this tournament who REALLY stand much of a chance unless Canada doesnt show. Taking into consideration last year final result, they will show this year.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
In a game like this, I could care less if Voloshenko is projected to be a 1st liner and Dawes a career minor leaguer.

In a one game, winner take all, I'm not concerned about top end potential five years from now, I'm more concerned with what level each player is currently on.

Very good point Aaron.

Dawes can energize & his the best of the two in the tournament so far.

But on 1 final game, will you take skills or heart ?

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
Depends what qualities the other 21 players on my roster possess.

Sure it really depends if it's the NHL or the WJC but my reasoning is that the FINAL GAME will be all about OFFENSIVE RUSH & OFFENSIVE WEAPONS so the 3rd line should be more about skills than character.

Anyway, it always worked for Canada to have a great mix of power, leadership & energy, why should they change that ? THAT'S CANADA !!!

It always worked for Russia to live & die with SKILLS , FINESSE & some HARD play along the boards , why should they change that ? THAT'S RUSSIA !!!

At least that's how I see it

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
I think too many people are basing predictions just on individual skills, instead of looking at it from this point of view, its a team game, all 12 -13 forwards all 6-7 defense have to play well and of course the goaltending or youn won't win. Hell Jeff Carter can play amazing but if his linemates don't show up then it will be hard to be effective. AO can pot a hattrick but if the rest of russia dosn't play well then they will lose. It's not baseketball, its hockey the ultimate team game.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
O man Bergeron better than Malkin ? No way ! NOOO way !

Damn i saw Malkin with metalurg in the RSL and what can i say he is just SICK ! The way he skates , hes ice-vision - playmaking ability ! He will be 100 % a superstar in the NHL ! Hes two way game is so good :bow:

I see him very close to Ovechkin ! Hell he is 2nd overall ! In other draft 1st overall !

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Why dont we all just give the credit both teams deserve and watch what happends tomorrow?
Each team has its strenghts and weaknesses, so the team that works the hard will get the gold. The only thing I'm sure about is that it will be a good game!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Malkin's upside is greater than Bergeron's. I completely agree and do not dispute that fact. The issue at hand is whether or not Malkin is better than Bergeron right now? I don't think he is. He has more raw skill for sure, but he doesn't have the maturity that Bergeron has. Bergeron is a better all-round player.

So, for the next game, I'd take Bergeron over Malkin. Ask me who I'd like in my system and I'd say Malkin so quickly that you'd have to go back in time to hear me say Malkin.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
kmad said:
Malkin's upside is greater than Bergeron's. I completely agree and do not dispute that fact. The issue at hand is whether or not Malkin is better than Bergeron right now? I don't think he is. He has more raw skill for sure, but he doesn't have the maturity that Bergeron has. Bergeron is a better all-round player.

So, for the next game, I'd take Bergeron over Malkin. Ask me who I'd like in my system and I'd say Malkin so quickly that you'd have to go back in time to hear me say Malkin.

Please dont understand me wrong BUT why is Bergeron a better all-round player ? Because Malkin is russian and can only score Goals ????

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Sting004 said:
You forget that Phaneuf is widely considered the best defenseman prospect in the world right now. Many people who have seen him play say he's Scott Stevens with more offense. Phaneuf would be playing in the NHL right now if there was no lockout..so he'd be in the top league in the world.

I'm not saying Ovechkin isn't big and doesn't hit hard...I'm just saying Phaneuf is both bigger and stronger and he will get the better of Ovechkin in the physical department.

Stevens had offense as well. Look at the numbers he put up in the early nineties.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
CSKA said:

Damn i saw Malkin with metalurg in the RSL and what can i say he is just SICK ! The way he skates , hes ice-vision - playmaking ability ! He will be 100 % a superstar in the NHL ! Hes two way game is so good :bow:

I see him very close to Ovechkin ! Hell he is 2nd overall ! In other draft 1st overall !

:lol in which draft??

2001 Kovalchuk
2002 Nash
2003 Fleury
2004 Ovechkin
2005 Crosby
2006 Kessel, Frolik, Mueller, Vasjunov, Joensuu
2008 John Ta...

He is just a good pick for 2nd overall but not a number one!!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
CSKA said:
Please dont understand me wrong BUT why is Bergeron a better all-round player ? Because Malkin is russian and can only score Goals ????

Hehe..

I've only seen one game by Malkin, and I may have misinterpreted his game, but he seemed very lazy. He is a complete offensive package but he failed to backcheck hard at all. Also I didn't see him use his size very much, while Bergeron throws a lot of hits. I was paying close attention to both him and Ovechkin.

That said, I think Ovechkin is the best player on both teams right now.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
CSKA said:

It's really hard to compare these players. Beregeron is a very energetic, hard working forward with a lot strenght. I loved this guy since the first time I saw him play with the Bruins (habs fans, we see them all the time, and for an 18 years old, he was trumenous for Boston). He was one of their best players in the playoffs also.

Malkin on the other hand is such a superb finesse player. It's just amazing to see him carry the puck from end to end, beating his opponents with his sped and awsome moves at center ice. His zone entries are incredible, he can feather the puck through 4 players exactly on the tape of his winger, or skate around till he's in a good position, backhand passes, blind passes.. he's going to be a concession player, no doubt about that.

So yeah I also think Malkin is a better player than Beregon overall, but Bergeron is also very good, but in another way...

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
:lol in which draft??

2001 Kovalchuk
2002 Nash
2003 Fleury
2004 Ovechkin
2005 Crosby
2006 Kessel, Frolik, Mueller, Vasjunov, Joensuu
2008 John Ta...

He is just a good pick for 2nd overall but not a number one!!

O man do you saw him play ? 2006/2003/2002 no problem !!!

And what means :lol ha ? This kid has so much talent you just dont know it ! But hey i know Crosby all the way babyyyyyyyyyyyyy :shakehead

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Frankly, I don't even this going to much a game. Sure, Russia has some amazing top-end talent but, at the end of the day, I think their skill will be negated by a dominant Canadian defense. I'm thinking the game is going to wind up something like 7-2 with shots heavily in favour of Canada.

Russian_Fan said:
Anyway, it always worked for Canada to have a great mix of power, leadership & energy, why should they change that ? THAT'S CANADA !!!

Just because Canada utilizes a mix of power,leadership, & energy to play hockey doesn't mean skill is not an equally integral part of their team. This Canadian team is damn skilled and every bit as talented as their Russian counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad