Golf: PGA TOUR 2024 FedExCup Season

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
What does everyone make of Tiger's son getting so much attention from the media?
It kinda comes with the territory. It gets clicks so the media reports on it.

I feel bad in the sense that people online are going to rip him to shreds because he is not anywhere near the golfer his dad was and people love to complain about other people getting too much attention.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and has handled it well though.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
The bolded is flawed for a few reasons...

1) It doesn't even factor if you hit the green! Average proximity stats include balls that miss the green up to 30 yards. Scheffler is by far the best at hitting GIR. So while those stats you cite include more players having to get up and down for a par, Scheffler is putting for birdie and 2 putting for par more often then they are from similar distances on approach.

2) It doesn't account for going for Par 5's in 2, where any GIR is good and you will be further from the hole than someone who lays up with a wedge, but will obviously be picking up strokes on the field, because you will be 2 putting for a birdie, where players who layed up need to 1 putt for bird.

Putting does involve some luck and it peaks and valleys but no matter how slice it, the average PGA Tour player would be scoring better by a couple-few strokes per tournament if they were hitting it like Scottie. For Scottie, that's the difference between a win and a runner up.

I don’t disagree with any of your points; it was a rough analysis at best. However, I still believe the main point to be true, that superior iron play matters very little when you can’t make any putts from outside a few feet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It kinda comes with the territory. It gets clicks so the media reports on it.

I feel bad in the sense that people online are going to rip him to shreds because he is not anywhere near the golfer his dad was and people love to complain about other people getting too much attention.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and has handled it well though.
I think it's too much. Don't cover him just because his last name is Woods. If you would otherwise cover this 15 year old golfer, cover him. If not, don't cover him.

I don't think all this spotlight that he wouldn't otherwise get helps. It isn't helping Lebron James son, and he's like four years older and we've seen that situation further fleshed out.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don’t disagree with any of your points; it was a rough analysis at best. However, I still believe the main point to be true, that superior iron play matters very little when you can’t make any putts from outside a few feet.
The thing is, superior iron play is sticky. Putting is hot and cold.

If Scottie has a good putting week, he wins. If Denny McCarthy has a good putting week he makes the cut and maybe contends.
I think it's too much. Don't cover him just because his last name is Woods. If you would otherwise cover this 15 year old golfer, cover him. If not, don't cover him.

I don't think all this spotlight that he wouldn't otherwise get helps. It isn't helping Lebron James son, and he's like four years older and we've seen that situation further fleshed out.
Yeah, I don't think its necessarily a great thing but there's not any way to really stop it and I'm not gonna put fault at the kid or the media really. The media do whatever brings attention and this is what will do it. I just blame mouth-breathers on the internet who need to take a piece out of a 15 year old for not being the future GOAT.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The people who follow way more closely than I do seem to think this Jake Knapp, who is leading this week's tour event in Mexico by 4 after three rounds, is a guy to watch this year.

Apparently a true bomber off the tee, and is kind of of decent elsewhere. 29 year old rookie in his first year off the Korn Ferry.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The people who follow way more closely than I do seem to think this Jake Knapp, who is leading this week's tour event in Mexico by 4 after three rounds, is a guy to watch this year.

Apparently a true bomber off the tee, and is kind of of decent elsewhere. 29 year old rookie in his first year off the Korn Ferry.

I watched the whole final round. He made some truly horrific driver swings and got huge breaks to begin final round. He hit a couple quack hooks you'll see out on your public golf course. Just 2 fairways in the final round. But Vidanta is a bombers paradise, long and very open.

He's a gym freak. I do like the swing, very long and languid but lazy through the ball. Crazy ball speed numbers for how slow he appears to swing. He was in the mix at Torrey.

Probably right in the middle of average PGA Tour length backswing and John Daly.
6HAr8gU.png

The guy who finsihed runner up, Sami Vallimaki is Juuso Valimaki's cousin.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What a loser...By far the most unlikeable golfer in the world, surpassing P.Reed

Most of the decent LIv players wil be there...no one gives a shit about Talor Gooch being in a tournemanet or not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watched the whole final round. He made some truly horrific driver swings and got huge breaks to begin final round. He hit a couple quack hooks you'll see out on your public golf course. Just 2 fairways in the final round. But Vidanta is a bombers paradise, long and very open.

He's a gym freak. I do like the swing, very long and languid but lazy through the ball. Crazy ball speed numbers for how slow he appears to swing. He was in the mix at Torrey.

Probably right in the middle of average PGA Tour length backswing and John Daly.
6HAr8gU.png
I think he’s going to be good. He’ll be top 25-30 by this time next year.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

The media always gives more attention to the sons and daughters of famous people trying to make it in the same profession. Just the way it is.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Pretty good answer, took the high road but also said “You’re just not good enough, plenty of other talent is there” in a nice way

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Pretty good answer, took the high road but also said “You’re just not good enough, plenty of other talent is there” in a nice way

I'm not a "Rory guy", but I thought it was a good response.

Daly's would win easily. LJ is having a good season for a respectable college team. While you'd like to think Tiger is a lot better than JD, Tiger plays infrequent enough that JD could make it close. Charlie is the weak link due to his age. Maybe in 5 years this will be closer, if Tiger can still play a little bit.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kim is barely recognizable and didn't age too well it seems. Hopefully it's nothing health realted.

XYJs2HI.png

Q8SGgrK.png

Unsurprisngly he shot a +6 and is last in the field and probably played worse than that, he made a some huge saves.

Just another example of how LIV is unserious 'professional' golf.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Neil Schuster of No Laying Up made a prediction like a year ago that LIV was going to bring in a non-pro to their ranks sometime soon, and isn’t that what Kim is?

When we get enough rounds to measure his performance, he probably will be like a Korn Ferry or worse type of player. You can’t go as long as he did without playing professionally and call yourself a pro golfer.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Bubba needs to retire if he only beat Anthony fking Kim by 2 shots.

I really don't understand some of the people on Golf Twitter saying they're let down by the fact that AK isn't good. Like... you were expecting something else? Just appreciate the novelty of getting to watch this guy play golf, even if he sucks, even if it's on in the dead of night, even if it's LIV.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

6HAr8gU.png

The guy who finsihed runner up, Sami Vallimaki is Juuso Valimaki's cousin.
Välimäki.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Neil Schuster of No Laying Up made a prediction like a year ago that LIV was going to bring in a non-pro to their ranks sometime soon, and isn’t that what Kim is?

When we get enough rounds to measure his performance, he probably will be like a Korn Ferry or worse type of player. You can’t go as long as he did without playing professionally and call yourself a pro golfer.

Honestly, that's insulting to KFT players who have beeen playing competitive golf almost every week for years and grinding everyday to be their best. Kim has not and it certainly shows. A lot of those guys could compete on PGA Tour and just haven't earned the opportunity to, yet.

Kim is closer to one of those GoodGood guys right now than a KFT player.

You can just watch him off the tee and see, he was extremely inconsistent with driver.

Shot tracer has him consistently in the 167-170 ball speed, a little below Tour average but he must be hitting it all over the clubface and with different launch conditions each time, because he hit some drives that only carried 240-260.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What a loser...By far the most unlikeable golfer in the world, surpassing P.Reed

Most of the decent LIv players wil be there...no one gives a shit about Talor Gooch being in a tournemanet or not.

The biggest argument you can make for him being there is that he has a name that fans can go "ooooooooo" if he makes a good putt.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anthony Kim +12 through 2 rounds.

Only 25 back of the leader Niemann :laugh:

Next worse player in the field is Poulter +3.

What a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad