Golf: PGA, DP, and PIF agree to merge with LIV

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If an American billionaire had bought the PGA, people would be fine with it.

There was a lot of criticism of PGA players that went to LIV. 1. If you have children, please tell me what's wrong with doing the best thing for your family. 2. Please tell me about the time when you turned down $100M, because of your beliefs.

- No one has even argued against or for any of the points you are making. You're talking to yourself.

But if were to play along...

-An American Billionaire probably isn't gonna have ties to terrorism, 9/11, murder and widespread oppression. :dunno:

-As long as players were upfront about it all being about the money like DJ, Harold Varner, etc. most people really didn't have a problem wtih guys going to LIV. It's about the guys who pretended it was about somrthing else like 'growing the game' and bullshit like Mickelson and Bryson as opposed to money and stirred the pot.

- Pretty much everyone is calling the PGA Tour hypocitical here and not happy about it...again you're arguing with yourself.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
If an American billionaire had bought the PGA, people would be fine with it.

There was a lot of criticism of PGA players that went to LIV. 1. If you have children, please tell me what's wrong with doing the best thing for your family. 2. Please tell me about the time when you turned down $100M, because of your beliefs.
You're seriously comparing American Billionaires to the Saudi Government? :biglaugh:

Reactions: TB12

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So the lesson here is, you can be principled so long as you can point a finger to someone less principled then you are free to take the money just like everyone else.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
There are some crazy posts in this thread. Saudi Arabia did not finance 9/11. The hijackers received funds from facilitators in Germany and the United Arab Emirates or directly from Khalid Sheikh Mohamed (KSM) as they transited Pakistan before coming to the United States.

Dec 29, 2004
There are some crazy posts in this thread. Saudi Arabia did not finance 9/11. The hijackers received funds from facilitators in Germany and the United Arab Emirates or directly from Khalid Sheikh Mohamed (KSM) as they transited Pakistan before coming to the United States.
No. The 911 thing is being conflated, probably by people in other threads you are reading elsewhere.... I am going to guess that you are somehow barred from posting in those threads, which is why you come off as having an argument with yourself throughout this thread... But I digress.

The issue people are having is that the tragedy suffered by the families of the victims of 911 was invoked by Monahan as a reason he would never merge with PIF... you know, a year before he merged with PIF. The issue is that he 'borrowed' the sympathy due to the victims so that he could use it for his own means and purposes, from which he is now profiting. This despicable act is enough of a reason to never watch or care about the PGA again.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It is pretty easy to be right when a seemingly unlimited amount of cash is thrown at people. There is zero evidence that the PGA Tour was in need of a major overhaul of it's compensation formula. Phil simply wanted the very elite players to get richer at the expense of the rest of the players.

Any industry is going to be turned upside down when the ultimate "Loss Leader" enters the market.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

This is crazy. I wonder what's going to stop the Saudis from doing the same thing to another sporting organization, like APT/WTA Tour.

Create your own league, offer tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to all of top players to defect, then litigate the hell out of the existing longstanding organization until they financially tap out and have to merge. This seems like a pretty worrisome precedent being set.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is crazy. I wonder what's going to stop the Saudis from doing the same thing to another sporting organization, like APT/WTA Tour.

Create your own league, offer tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to all of top players to defect, then litigate the hell out of the existing longstanding organization until they financially tap out and have to merge. This seems like a pretty worrisome precedent being set.
Likely nothing. They’re probably next.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

They'll be fine unless they take the same faux sanctimonious actions the PGA Tour did and kick "defectors" out of the club and ban them from PGA backed tournaments in an 11th hour rule that was not included in member rule books

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What a major shitshow this is on many fronts.

How can a "charitable" organization take on a partner whose only purpose is to make money off of the PGA Tour?

Sep 19, 2008
“What a colossal waste of time,” Mickelson tweeted. “Not a single player on LIV wants to play PGA Tour. It would require a public apology and restitution to LIV players for paying millions to Clout media to disparage all of us. A better topic is future sanctions for the many players who now come to LIV.”

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad