Golf: PGA, DP, and PIF agree to merge with LIV

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Welp, one less sport to GAF about.

I am down to soccer/college football/hockey/darts/pro football (kinda)

Need to find more hobbies

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I love this. Saudi Arabia has been one of the US biggest trading partners for more than half a century. Many HoF golfers have played in the Middle East for big $. No PGA player spoke out about Middle Eastern politics before LIV. LIV started out as 8 events which is not a tour, it's several exhibitions. The whole controversy was so dumb and fake. It's called capitalism and it's okay unless another country we don't like (except when we're at the pump) does it better. The anti-LIV people are not exactly geo-political geniuses.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I love this. Saudi Arabia has been one of the US biggest trading partners for more than half a century. Many HoF golfers have played in the Middle East for big $. No PGA player spoke out about Middle Eastern politics before LIV. LIV started out as 8 events which is not a tour, it's several exhibitions. The whole controversy was so dumb and fake. It's called capitalism and it's okay unless another country we don't like (except when we're at the pump) does it better. The anti-LIV people are not exactly geo-political geniuses.
If they did speak out, they would’ve been told to stick to sports.

Reactions: John Price

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They completely disrupted the market place by paying players money they would never get a ROI on.

It is pure unregulated capitalism indeed. They were able to bully the PGA tour into submission by overpaying their workforce therefore creating unfair competition. They could do that because they have unlimited fund - funds they have because they are a dictatorial regime that controls all of their country's natural ressources. Ressources we indeed buy from them, unfortunately.

I do not know what is there to "love" about this.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean, I guess it's good to have all the best golfers in one place again, but what on earth happened to lead to this? This is will be a fascinating story.
Image from the negotiations:

jeque-cash-money.gif

Dec 29, 2004
Yeah, LIV is bleeding $$$$$ and I believe the PGA was about to lose more big name players to LIV. Plus the whole anti-trust lawsuit now goes out the window,
No. LIV is backed by PIF (Saudi Investment Fund). They don't care about losing money, as long as they win. And they won.

LIV was never about 'making money'. Ever.

The '$' is for the PGA, who just sold out. Everyone has a price.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I can't wait to see what comes out of Brandel Chamblee's dumb mouth

Also, Jay is a huge piece of shit in all of this.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Geez, how would you feel passing up on LIV signing money and defending the PGA as a loyal player?
A punch in the gut by the PGA and lots of doublespeak!

Reactions: J T Money

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, LIV is bleeding $$$$$ and I believe the PGA was about to lose more big name players to LIV. Plus the whole anti-trust lawsuit now goes out the window,
There was a development yesterday that was going to send the lawsuit down a very long path. Looks like the PGA decided to give up and sell out.

Geez, how would you feel passing up on LIV signing money and defending the PGA as a loyal player?
A punch in the gut by the PGA and lots of doublespeak!
The PGA did shake up things a lot to start paying players more. What LIV really did was expose how the PGA was underpaying players.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I dont understand this from the LIV contracts the players get?

i mean pretty much every analyst said LIV golf barely made any money to even survive.
Their TV deal covered the cost of the tournaments they said. not the salaries.

so those players get to rejoin up after making accepting $100 million for a few years??

But yeah I'd be pissed right now if I turned down 9 figures for some weird loyalty that didnt pay off seemingly.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
remember when the PGA tour tried to make it seem like this was all about tradition? it was always about the $$$

hope all those players who spoke out against the saudis enjoy working for them

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Loving end stage capitalism is certainly a take.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
wow some players are PISSED
morikawa's deleted tweet

Honestly
I would be too
you turn down a massive chunk of change
and those players get to rejoin like nothing happened

good for the ones who took the money I guess