Golf: PGA, DP, and PIF agree to merge with LIV

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's strange to see a business (as much as LIV was run as such anyways) do so poorly, only to be rewarded with a merger with a successful one.

Reactions: Elvis P

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
LIV was never a business.

They never actually wanted to run a league. They offered the PGA virtually the same deal here years ago. They offered the PGL a f*** ton of money to start up another league, and finally when no other option came they started LIV. The end goal was never to run the league, just to use their money to have influence and wash their image to the world.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’ve come to the conclusion

That Jay Monahan (or however you spell it) is an absolute clown

This guy is a piece of garbage with everything he has said about being able to sleep at night only to fold days later

Reactions: LarryO

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Yeah this is a horrible look for Jay Monahan. He's going to really have to do some smooth talking today because it sure sounds like the players are angrier today then they were at the beggining of this mess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
wow some players are PISSED
morikawa's deleted tweet

Honestly
I would be too
you turn down a massive chunk of change
and those players get to rejoin like nothing happened

good for the ones who took the money I guess
Honestly I don't know why they'd be pissed. A lot of people were talking about how the LIV wouldn't last and eventually guys would come back.

Now did people think it would be this quick, I don't think so.

Kind of like when the KHL was throwing stupid money at guys back in the day.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The arrogance and hypocrisy of criticizing Saudi Arabia for behaving like the US is unbelievable. What gives us the right to judge and tell other countries what to do? Nothing.

If the US Government were paying the players, your post would make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LarryO

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The arrogance and hypocrisy of criticizing Saudi Arabia for behaving like the US is unbelievable. What gives us the right to judge and tell other countries what to do? Nothing.
Who exactly are you arguing with? Nobody is saying this about the US.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
There hasn't been any anti-Middle Eastern sentiment in the US since 9/11. :sarcasm:

To forgive is divine. I'm sure the PGA fans won't hold a grudge against the LIV golfers. :sarcasm:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So are they basically going to run all the same tournaments as the PGA does next year under a different name and add a team element? All the top LIV guys come back with tens (or hundreds) of millions more in their pockets like nothing happened. The star PGA guys who stayed got stiffed. I wonder if there's a movement to run Monahan out of his job.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I hated LIV from the start. Still do. The format sucks. The 54 hole event, shotgun start, no cuts, team component all sucks.

But.....I will say this whole mess will likely end up good for the sport. I love traditional golf and I look forward to having some of those players back in the mix.

If they want to sprinkle in a few team like events, fill your boots.

Monahan....complete clown. There will be some pissed millionaires wishing they were even richer. f***ing sellout Monahan and worse yet....you screwed your guys.

I hope for Rory, JT, Spieth, Rahmbone etc. That the Saudi wealth increases purses by triple so they can get paid.

Fire Norman into the sun.

• Love
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The general agreement is that Monahan is an idiot

if he keep the same energy throughout that is different
but using the 9/11 victims families like a week ago to gain support for his brand in an interview then turning around and switching gears

give me a break

Reactions: waitin425

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This is wonderful. We're gonna get to watch the best golfers in the world. Media darlings Rory and Spieth haven't won a major in 9 and 6 years. TW (85 on a curve) is a fool who can't play 72 holes and who's lucky to be alive and to have 2 legs to stand on literally.

I wanna see clutch golfers who can win majors like Koepka and Rahm and we're going to. I love it!

Last edited:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
There was a development yesterday that was going to send the lawsuit down a very long path. Looks like the PGA decided to give up and sell out.

The PGA did shake up things a lot to start paying players more. What LIV really did was expose how the PGA was underpaying players.

I think the court stuff is probably the biggest factor next to the money. The PGA and probably the PIF, didn't want to have to open the books to public and have damaging information out there.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad