Pettersson or Hughes; who would you pick?

Pettersson or Hughes

• Total voters

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"Pickup truck is better!"

"No, washing machine, idiot!"

"Pickup truck, you moron, it can carry stuff and do stuff and . . . and stuff!"

"No, washing machine, you dolt, the cab would stink if you didn't ever wash your clothes, and you can fold laundry on the flat top of a washing machine - try doing that on the bed of a pickup truck, your clothes will get dirty again!"

"Pickup truck, you PoS, it has ground clearance and 4x4 to go mudding!"

"No, washing machine you oilersfanwannabe, the new front-loaders have windows so you can watch the spin cyc . . ."

"OILERSFANWANNABE??? YOU'RE TOXIC!"

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
One vote separating them. Wow :laugh:

Even after his worst game as a Canuck tonight, I still pick Hughes over Pettersson (who didn't even look much better himself tonight). The impact Hughes has on the entire game is so much greater. Pettersson looks invisible too often.

Love 'em both though. We're fortunate!

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
What's intriguing about Hughes is that as a rookie, he is actually getting stronger (while everybody else is fading, just like Pettersson faded last year) and is on pace to be the highest scoring rookie d since the high flying 80's. All logic says that you build a team around a 1c, but Hughes may turn out to be so good that he transcends the 1C rule. Too early to vote for Hughes at this point but that may change by this time next year.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
2020 - quiggy - 1st/2nd for the calder
2019 - petey - won
2018 - boeser - 2nd

historical precedents:

2014 - mackinnon - won
2012 - landeskog - won
2010 - duchene - 3rd
result - too soon to tell

2009 - versteeg - 3rd
2008 - kane - won
2008 - toews - 3rd
result - many cups

2007 - malkin - won
2007 - staal - 3rd
2006 - crosby - 2nd
result - many cups

1990 - makarov - won
1988 - nieuwendyk - won
1986 - suter - won
result - otto kicked it in

1978 - bossy - won
1976 - trottier - won
1974 - potvin - won
result - many cups

1968 - sanderson - won
1967 - orr - won
1966 - gilles marotte (later traded for phil esposito) - 3rd
result - several cups

eh who am i kidding?

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
... and to have center and a d-man that are franchise level is rare. Our chances of Stanley Cup are probly better than the Sedin era.

Better than being one game away from winning it all? Pretty hard to predict such a small difference, no? I'm hoping for the best but am not taking for granted that we even make the cup final with this core.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I think Pod pushes us over the top. Love that pick. It's not always skill skill skill that gets you results, look at leafs.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
This franchise has just had Henrik Sedin and no cup to show for it. We never had a top 10 dmen in the league so I get why people vote Quinn

I'd argue if we were a franchise like Nashville, Minnesota, Columbus etc votes would be tilted for EP

Reactions: RussianRacket

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A franchise center versus a franchise d-man. Wow, that's a seriously tough choice. I think it's Hughes by a hair, only because so much offense is driven from the back-end now.

But it's worth noting that neither guy was a first overall pick....concerns in their draft year about their size mainly. Hockey Gods definitely smiled on the Canucks!

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If I’m starting a franchise Pettersson. As to who’s more important to the Canucks it’s probably Hughes. Canucks have no other offensive defenceman, what Hughes brings to the Canucks is vital to their success.

Pettersson +14 (leads team)
Edler +8
Tanev +5
Stecher +5
Myers +2
Hughes -3 (while getting the most Ozone starts on D)

Hughes has his flaws, our defence is tailor made for him to succeed as they do the grunt work allowing Hughes to quickly transition the puck up ice. Hughes overall game should improve with experience.

Better overall player: Pettersson.
More valuable to the Canucks: Hughes.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
EP might be getting the franchise tag, but would you trade him straight up for Conner McDavid? EP is probably a best in 3 years pick like Stamkos would be another, while Conner might be the best pick since Sidney Crosby

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
EP might be getting the franchise tag, but would you trade him straight up for Conner McDavid? EP is probably a best in 3 years pick like Stamkos would be another, while Conner might be the best pick since Sidney Crosby

No one is comparing EP to Connor. 97 is generational, EP40 is Elite. Pettersson should become a top 10 centre and Hughes a top 10 Defenceman in the NHL, we’re good.

2 years ago we didn’t know if EP could even play 2nd line Centre and thought Hughes would have a tough time transitioning to the NHL due to size. Hockey Gods were good to us.

Last edited:

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Extend them both long term at $8M per year each this summer and call it a day. Some will say they won't sign that low, but I think it can be done.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Here's a question...

Considering half our group here perceives Hughes over Pettersson...
Would be it be fair assume based on value being placed specific attributes/position that in a 2017 redraft they would have Makar #1, Pettersson #2?

Difference between RD Makar and LD Hughes seems to be hairsplitting with arguments to be made either way... but in terms of overall attributes/position/effectiveness it is essentially Makar=Hughes...

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Here's a question...

Considering half our group here perceives Hughes over Pettersson...
Would be it be fair assume based on value being placed specific attributes/position that in a 2017 redraft they would have Makar #1, Pettersson #2?

Difference between RD Makar and LD Hughes seems to be hairsplitting with arguments to be made either way... but in terms of overall attributes/position/effectiveness it is essentially Makar=Hughes...

In a redraft I'd absolutely pick Makar #1 (assuming obviously that the redraft happened in 2017 and we would have yet to have Hughes). That's no slight against Pettersson, I just think that Makar/Hughes are on another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad