Pettersson or Hughes; who would you pick?

Pettersson or Hughes

• Total voters

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I'm debating with someone in the Calder thread. To me, it's an easy choice but I am curious what the masses think. I won't state my opinion in order to not push the conversation in a direction.

So who would you choose as more valuable to the team? The better overall talent (difficult to compare, I realize)?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pettersson.

Anyone voting Hughes will look as dumb as declaring Boeser a franchise elite perennial 40 goal scorer in his rookie season

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Good thread. I'm kind of on the fence. If the question is who do you take if you're starting an organisation, I probably lean towards Pettersson.

You're probably more likely to find a star dman later in the draft, whereas finding a Pettersson without a top 3 pick would be exceptionally difficult. Could take you 25 years...

Then again, Hughes could be a Norris consideration in his career. Tough to walk away from those.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson.

It's easier to find a Tyson Barrie to cover most of what Hughes does than to find a point-per-game #1 center.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
EP

Easier to get by with a committee on defense than it is to replace a #1 C

I also love his attitude and competitiveness

Thank God we have both

Reactions: Javaman and bh53

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Pettersson.

Not only that but I'd also trade Hughes right now for another Pettersson.

You would seriously trade Hughes for another Pettersson?

Hughes is arguably our greatest D-man ever already...so they clearly don't grow on trees.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Did I just read this? WTF?? Barrie almost = Hughes?

Huh?

Quinn Hughes is a better player than Tyson Barrie. But there are guys floating around at affordable cost who can QB a PP at a high level and score 50 points as a defender if you put them in the right situation to cover that role.

There aren't 80-point #1 centers floating around at an affordable cost.

It's harder to replace a top-end #1 center than it is to replace a soft-minutes skill defender/PP QB. This shouldn't be a controversial statement, I don't think. And I think Hughes is very, very good and this is not a criticism of him at all.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This is also a weird comparison because they play different positions. Bure vs Pettersson would be more interesting. I think Bure>EP slightly but Hughes>>>any other Canuck D.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's a message board...people debate things.

eh i’d just prefer to all be positive on the few things we all like instead of fighting about which thing we like is better and inevitably dragging one or both through the mud because ppl wanna win the internetz.

can’t we just go back to arguing about whether the gm and coach need to be fired?

Huh?

Quinn Hughes is a better player than Tyson Barrie. But there are guys floating around at affordable cost who can QB a PP at a high level and score 50 points as a defender if you put them in the right situation to cover that role.

It's harder to replace a top-end #1 center than it is to replace a soft-minutes skill defender/PP QB. This shouldn't be a controversial statement, I don't think. And I think Hughes is very, very good and this is not a criticism of him at all.

i think the long history of this team should show how rare an elite transition defenceman is.

i mean, there’s probably 45 years where we didn’t have one.

not to say that petey is at all replaceable either, of course.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Huh?

The last two games were the most important games of the season. Hughes played up to 27 minutes and out chanced the opposition 16-1 at high danger per the GDTs. Pettersson did not display this level of dominance last year at game 60+. Hughes has been better.

Reactions: Jojalu and Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think the long history of this team should show how rare an elite transition defenceman is.

i mean, there’s probably 45 years where we didn’t have one.

not to say that petey is at all replaceable either, of course.

I mean, how many top-end #1 centers have we had in that time? Henrik and .... ?

To me, your #1 center is the most important building block in your team. Others may disagree.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
To me, your #1 center is the most important building block in your team. Others may disagree.

i don’t really have a horse in this race tbh.

as a general rule i am usually more of a #1 d guy than a #1 centre guy though. but as bgav says, nice to have both (for once).

Reactions: Upoil and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->