Pettersson or Hughes; who would you pick?

Pettersson or Hughes

• Total voters

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
In a redraft I'd absolutely pick Makar #1 (assuming obviously that the redraft happened in 2017 and we would have yet to have Hughes). That's no slight against Pettersson, I just think that Makar/Hughes are on another level.

1. Pettersson
2. Makar
3. Hughes

Would be the likely order.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
After over 160 votes and it's still 50/50 between them. What that says to me is we have two franchise cornerstones loved by the Canucks fans.

It would be very interesting to do this poll in 5 years to see what the results would be.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I voted Hughes based on what I believe they are right now. Going forward I think that EP has more upside, he is tenacious and has the fire to be a physical presence. If he can add good weight to that frame I can see the truly complete triple-threat player. Offensive, defensive and physical juggernaut. Mats Sundin put nearly 50 pounds on his frame from his rookie season to his year with the Canucks, now I'm not saying Pettersson could, or should do this, only that large transformations are possible over-time for guys with height.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I voted Hughes based on what I believe they are right now. Going forward I think that EP has more upside, he is tenacious and has the fire to be a physical presence. If he can add good weight to that frame I can see the truly complete triple-threat player. Offensive, defensive and physical juggernaut. Mats Sundin put nearly 50 pounds on his frame from his rookie season to his year with the Canucks, now I'm not saying Pettersson could, or should do this, only that large transformations are possible over-time for guys with height.
Sundin was seriously out of shape by the time he first suited up for the Canucks. True, he was one of our better forwards when it really counted (the postseason) but that was when he was able to shed a chunk of that weight & improve his conditioning. Early on the regular season, it seemed to me he would struggle to get back to the bench after a 30 second shift looking for the oxygen tank.:laugh:

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well. I think at 18, Sundin was already a pretty big and strong kid...

2012-Hockey-Hall-of-Fame-Mats-Sundin-6.jpg

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Well. I think at 18, Sundin was already a pretty big and strong kid...

2012-Hockey-Hall-of-Fame-Mats-Sundin-6.jpg

No doubt he was. Funny enough the only info on his rookie weight I could find was on the back of a hockey card. It wasn't even from his rookie year, apparently, as he was 189 in his 2nd year and the heaviest I saw was 240. EP could go a long way with another 20lbs. At his current stats, he's a damn beanpole and can certainly add musculature to see great gains without losing, possibly, anything.

Reactions: F A N

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Hughes but I would hate to have to choose between them. And luckily we won't unless Mr Aquilini's crack team in the top secret cap compliance lab falls flat on their faces and fails to leave the $22 million in cap space we'll need to get them both signed long term.

Unless that happens...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No doubt he was. Funny enough the only info on his rookie weight I could find was on the back of a hockey card. It wasn't even from his rookie year, apparently, as he was 189 in his 2nd year and the heaviest I saw was 240. EP could go a long way with another 20lbs. At his current stats, he's a damn beanpole and can certainly add musculature to see great gains without losing, possibly, anything.

I don't think Petey can add a whole lot more weight without slowing him down. He just doesn't have the frame for it. He has very narrow shoulders. Sundin clearly had a sizable frame to build upon. There's a video of Sundin being drafted on YouTube. It lists him as 6' 3 1/2 187lbs. Not sure that's accurate since there wasn't a draft combine at the time but you get the point.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
The addition of both players has been nothing short of transformational for the franchise. Don't know how much point there is to making this comparison right now though with Petterson having nearly an extra year on Hughes plus more added support (Miller, Toffoli). I must say that watching Hughes impact this season has really opened my perspective on what a defenceman can do for a developing team. I've seen them on other teams of course, but the Canucks have never really had this. Maybe Jovo was close in some ways. I will save my answer on this because I want to see how Hughes responds once the league starts adapting to him (like what is happening with Petterson). For all we know too Petterson has the potential to settle in as a perennial 100-point centre, and at that point it's hard to value any defenceman over that.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I just wish that another young player will emerge soon to take some votes away from these two.

ManoWarrior

Jul 24, 2010
I just wish that another young player will emerge soon to take some votes away from these two.

Don't forget Boeser. Seems far fetched given this season but next season he might show another level of pure goal scorer. Just gotta get that shot dialed in again, which could be off due to injury.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Don't forget Boeser. Seems far fetched given this season but next season he might show another level of pure goal scorer. Just gotta get that shot dialed in again, which could be off due to injury.
I hope so, I doubt he will ever be on the same echelon as the other two to take their votes though. Otherwise, missing the playoffs and adding Lafrenierre maybe the only other option. #daretodream

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pettersson & Hughes as good as they are cannot take over games with dominant play. JT Miller is a better overall player than both. Pettersson is like Backstrom, still an elite player, but we lack an Ovechkin type of superstar. Hopefully we can get it done by committee with Podkolzin, Hoglander, Boeser etc.

Why do think Miller has all that space to take those clapper or work around the board. Your underestimating the amount of ice Pettersson opens up. Teams have zero respect for other players on the Canucks.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Pettersson & Hughes as good as they are cannot take over games with dominant play. JT Miller is a better overall player than both. Pettersson is like Backstrom, still an elite player, but we lack an Ovechkin type of superstar. Hopefully we can get it done by committee with Podkolzin, Hoglander, Boeser etc.
this has to be a joke

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I get what youre trying to say but lets get real for a moment, petey and hughes are still very young while Miller is in his freaking prime.
That comparison is not fair at all.
I do agree miller has been more effective than both petey and hughes this season though. Guys a huge addition to the team.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It’s a tough question to answer because Pettersson is the better overall player while Hughes is the rarer asset. So it’s not an even comparison between #1C vs #1D, IMO.

If it were simply about which key piece, then it’s #1D without question. 1Cs are more clustered at the top of the draft. If you’re a bad team, you know you have to be there to get one. A 1D is far more difficult to project. Their distribution is often in the top 2 rounds. Which means, NHL scouts have a harder time finding them. You’re not assured to get one at the top. This is what makes Hughes the potentially rarer asset — If in fact he cements himself as a 1D. Which is the remaining question mark.

Voted Pettersson for that reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Any Pettersson voters ready to admit that Hughes was the correct answer all along? I think it was clear all year, but I understand that it isn't easy to vote against Petey.

Reactions: Tony Stacks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad