Pettersson or Hughes; who would you pick?

Pettersson or Hughes

• Total voters

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
2017 2018 2019

Since Pettersson's draft there has been 3 other dmen on Hughes' level or tier. Surprisingly the generational dmen has performed the least

Meanwhile there has not been 0 centerman on Pettersson's level

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
For Hughes to be effective you have to insulate him with good defenders that can take the pressure off him in the D zone, you need defenceman like Tanev, Edler & Myers to allow Hughes to do his thing. With Pettersson he was lighting it up with Eriksson & Goldobin as his wingers. EP40 leads the team with a +16 rating while Hughes is -1. The Canucks desperately needed an offensive defenceman and Hughes value to the team has been substantial but Pettersson is definitely the better player.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Pettersson.

It's easier to find a Tyson Barrie to cover most of what Hughes does than to find a point-per-game #1 center.
Hughes is playing better hockey at 20 the Barrie has ever played and is one pace for more points than Barrie has ever scored in a season. He's 4th in the league in scoring among defensemen and straight-up dominating games -- again, as a 20-year-old rookie. Barrie doesn't come close to replacing him.

Reactions: Nomobo

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
2017 2018 2019

Since Pettersson's draft there has been 3 other dmen on Hughes' level or tier. Surprisingly the generational dmen has performed the least

Meanwhile there has not been 0 centerman on Pettersson's level

A while back we had a shit ton of elite centermen go in the draft. Recently we've had Dahlin/Makar/Hughes. But a while back we had all these guys go one after another.
2013 - MacKinnon (lock for Hart finalist this year)
2013 - Barkov (IMO Selke finalist)
2014 - Draisaitl (lock Art Ross finalist)
2014 - Point
2015 - McDavid (Hart + 2x Art Ross + 2x Ted Lindsay)
2015 - Jack Eichel
2016 - Matthews (Potential Richard winner)

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hughes is playing better hockey at 20 the Barrie has ever played and is one pace for more points than Barrie has ever scored in a season. He's 4th in the league in scoring among defensemen and straight-up dominating games -- again, as a 20-year-old rookie. Barrie doesn't come close to replacing him.

He's also generating a negative goal differential at ES from soft minutes with our top skill players.

He's been great offensively but is still a work in progress defensively. And yes, his 22 points on the PP are easier to replace at a cheaper price than a #1 center.

This is not criticizing Hughes. At all. Again, to me your #1 center is the most important building block on your team. And as we've seen from Boeser and Pettersson ... sometimes the gleam does come off a bit in years 2-3.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hughes...and if I really think about it, I actually don't think it's close. The reasons involve impact on the game. Hughes isn't just an amazing offensive talent. His skating makes him extremely good at gaining position in the defensive zone, taking away the puck, and skating it out. He's still learning this part of the game at the higher level but he has a chance to be elite in this aspect.
Pettersson, on-the-other-hand, is a very good offensive centre, has some defensive chops but needs to get better in the faceoff circle. I still think he's having a few challenges as the checking gets tighter. Please don't interpret this as being down on Pettersson, I think he is a fantastic player, But we were asked to choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fraser28

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
People need to come to terms with the fact that there's no indication that Pettersson is going to be among the very best players in the league. He may develop into that (and I think he can), but Hughes is already that right now, and he's a year younger. He's 4th in defense scoring, he transforms the team by controlling possession while he's on the ice. Pettersson doesn't do that.

In fact, Pettersson has been riding Miller's coattails for much of this year, it's Miller who drives possession on that line, he wins battles in his zone, he carries the puck through the neutral zone with speed, he creates turnovers on the forecheck, he protects the puck and makes plays under pressure. Pettersson can make plays and he can finish, but he struggles to drive possession.

I understand different opinions on projections for the future, but anyone who thinks it's Pettersson this year is blind or delusional.

Reactions: Fraser28

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
He's also generating a negative goal differential at ES from soft minutes with our top skill players.

He's been great offensively but is still a work in progress defensively. And yes, his 22 points on the PP are easier to replace at a cheaper price than a #1 center.

This is not criticizing Hughes. At all. Again, to me your #1 center is the most important building block on your team. And as we've seen from Boeser and Pettersson ... sometimes the gleam does come off a bit in years 2-3.
I understand this point and kind of agree with your points. But the Sedin's fed off soft minutes too.
As for Hughes, Scoring is important regardless of who you are scoring on.
Hughes is 4th in defenseman scoring right now.

IDK I can't help but harp back on those days where we had Edler on the 1st unit PP and he'd break his stick ever slapshot. The Canucks also had 0 transition game to the point Yanick Weber was one of the Canucks better transition defenseman. Compare that to Hughes who just powers through the neutral zone.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
To me, #1 center is always the more important position, and defense can be easier to put together by committee.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
A while back we had a shit ton of elite centermen go in the draft. Recently we've had Dahlin/Makar/Hughes. But a while back we had all these guys go one after another.
2013 - MacKinnon (lock for Hart finalist this year)
2013 - Barkov (IMO Selke finalist)
2014 - Draisaitl (lock Art Ross finalist)
2014 - Point
2015 - McDavid (Hart + 2x Art Ross + 2x Ted Lindsay)
2015 - Jack Eichel
2016 - Matthews (Potential Richard winner)

Point does not belong

Jones, Werenski, McAvoy, Chabot, Hamilton, Rielly

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
In fact, Pettersson has been riding Miller's coattails for much of this year, it's Miller who drives possession on that line, he wins battles in his zone, he carries the puck through the neutral zone with speed, he creates turnovers on the forecheck, he protects the puck and makes plays under pressure. Pettersson can make plays and he can finish, but he struggles to drive possession.

I understand different opinions on projections for the future, but anyone who thinks it's Pettersson this year is blind or delusional.

I'm glad this thread was made. I've been seeing a lot of these posts and it astounds me. Advanced stats have Pettersson leagues above Miller and all other Canucks forwards

this notion that Miller is in the same tier as Pettersson needs to die. fast.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Point does not belong

Jones, Werenski, McAvoy, Chabot, Hamilton, Rielly
You don't believe point belongs? Point did score 41 last year and put up 92 points and the year before he had a killer playoffs. I do believe he is the weakest out of those listed.

As for Jones/Werenksi/McAvoy/Hamilton/Rielly/Chabot.
I wouldn't take any one of those over MacKinnon/McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Barkov/Draisaitl. I wouldn't even blink. That center group is much better than that defense pool.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You don't believe point belongs? Point did score 41 last year and put up 92 points and the year before he had a killer playoffs. I do believe he is the weakest out of those listed.

As for Jones/Werenksi/McAvoy/Hamilton/Rielly/Chabot.
I wouldn't take any one of those over MacKinnon/McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Barkov/Draisaitl. I wouldn't even blink. That center group is much better than that defense pool.

Hamilton statistically was having the best season for dmen in the entire league

If you take those centermen easily, then Pettersson is also an easy vote

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Pettersson.

1) Much more difficult to find a 1C. They’re not laying around anywhere.
2) Hughes, while talented, isn’t a true #1 D in the sense that he’ll never have that physical dimension in his game.
3) The quickness in Hughes game will eventually slow over time. Once this aspect of his game isn’t as dominate he’ll lose his appeal in some regard. While I know this won’t happen tomorrow I’m just talking about the life spans of their careers. Pettersson’s smarts, hands, and shot aren’t going anywhere for the length of his career and that is what separates him from his peers.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He’s completely right and preferring a #1 center over a #1 defender is not controversial at all. Neither are that Hughes being sheltered and a large part of his contribution comes on the PP.

MS understands more about hockey than the vast majority of people in this board. Hell, you’re a great example why I rarely bother to post here.

As for the actual thread, no idea yet. Young players tend to have mountains and valleys at the beginning of their careers. I prefer legit #1 defensemen since they are incredibly rare. Hughes will have a difficult time developing his defensive game due to size limitations. If he can learn pick stripping skills from Tanev then he can take another step. As it is, he isn’t an actual #1 guy and I have a very hard time believing he will be.

This was true at the beginning of the season, but not so much lately. He's tied for 8th in the league in ES points among defensemen and he's been playing big minutes in the games where the score is close. You don't do that if you're being sheltered.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
It's a tough call for me because I think Quinn Hughes is having a better rookie season than Pettersson did. His rookie season is probably better than Pettersson's sophomore season, this year.

On the flip side, there appears to be more room to grow for Pettersson, with that 6'3 frame to fill out. The way he battles and thinks the game defensively means he could project as an absolute defensive force once he gets bigger and stronger. And being a good playmaker, with that remarkable shot accuracy and velocity gives him the tools to be tough to pass on.

It really is a close call IMO. Starting to look like the duo being the best centre and defenseman in franchise history.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
tough call. I want to say Hughes because what he's done has been more rare, but rookie defensemen are so hard to project, and it seems like many of the offensive-types take steps back after a huge start. I feel a little bit safer in betting that Pettersson will continue performing as a #1 centre than I do in betting that Hughes doesn't Shayne Gostisbehere.

Having said that

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Pettersson.

Anyone voting Hughes will look as dumb as declaring Boeser a franchise elite perennial 40 goal scorer in his rookie season

Yeah I disagree.........What's typically more important to a team? A franchise centerman or a franchise Dman? Logic would dictate the one that plays more.........and that's always the Dman.

I go with Hughes - he just seems to have a lot more impact on each and every game then Petey does (and believe me I love Petey - I'm just stoked we have both of them).

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
The reason I took Hughes is that #1 defenseman log insane minutes in the playoffs. I believe Hughes will be that.
Highest TOI on cup winners forwards/defensemen

TOI/GP - 2010
Keith 28:11
Toews 20:58
TOI/GP - 2011
Chara - 27:39
Krejci - 20:25
TOI/GP - 2012
Doughty - 26:09
Kopitar - 22:03
TOI/GP - 2013
Keith - 27:37
Toews - 21:33
TOI/GP - 2014
Doughty - 28:45
Kopitar - 21:13
TOI/GP - 2015
Keith - 31:07
Toews - 20:54
TOI/GP - 2016
Letang - 28:53
Crosby - 20:26
TOI/GP - 2017
Dumoulin - 21:59
Crosby - 19:24
TOI/GP - 2018
Carlson - 25:38
Ovechkin - 20:44
TOI/GP - 2019
Pietrangelo - 25:45
O'Reily - 21:00

Defenseman on cup winning teams #1 d-men play much more minutes than forwards in the playoffs. Therefore, I think having a #1 defenseman is slightly more important than having a #1 centerman.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Hamilton statistically was having the best season for dmen in the entire league

If you take those centermen easily, then Pettersson is also an easy vote
I took Hughes for reasons I stated above.
I do think it's incredibly close.

That is, if Hughes develops into that #1 defenseman of course.
One more thing, I'm here for the discussion not the debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad