Pettersson or Hughes; who would you pick?

Pettersson or Hughes

• Total voters

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I said in the Hughes thread he would be the greatest Canuck ever and his main competition is Petterson. They are both HOF talents. Petterson will not be better than McDavid but Hughes can be the best dman in the league. Tanev believes he will be. That is why I vote Hughes although Petterson might be a better all around player. The future is bright.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Going back to the Wings' glory days, it was guys like HOF'ers like Datsyuk and Yzerman who were a force up front, but it was Nik Lindstrom who stirred the drink.

Norris trophy calibre d-men are always more valuable. In fact it's almost impossible to win the Cup without one.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Still EP40 more complete in all Zones IMO. He also creates a lot of space for just being there. His gravity is underrated as it opens up the power play for Hughes and Miller. It helps Miller and Boeser at ES.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
As a long suffering Canuck's fan happy to be able to be deciding between having a 1C or 1D for once on our team. Voted Pettersson but that was awhile ago Hughes is making this a lot harder now.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Theyre on the same team? Why must there be a winner

Because why not? What is the harm in choosing? People are so sensitive sometimes that I almost can't believe it.

Why is this a thread? Another something to stir up the fanbase and cause controversy? Mods?

Mods? Are you for real? Toughen up my friend.

If some of you guys are that offended by choosing, then just don't vote or participate. Whining about the thread is just sad.

Reactions: maroon 6

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Because why not? What is the harm in choosing? People are so sensitive sometimes that I almost can't believe it.

Mods? Are you for real? Toughen up my friend.

If some of you guys are that offended by choosing, then just don't vote or participating. Whining about the thread is just sad.
Because these polls mean nothing.

They are all about recency bias. Right now hughes is better, but like 3 games from now pettersson might be better.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Because these polls mean nothing.

They are all about recency bias. Right now hughes is better, but like 3 games from now pettersson might be better.

I disagree. Hughes has been the more important player all along. It has just taken people longer to realize that because of how important Pettersson also is (and because he came first).

I personally don't think Pettersson will ever be viewed as more valuable than Hughes anymore. Obviously each player will go though hot and cold stretches, but Hughes will be considered our more valuable player.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
they play different positions. a defenseman naturally has more impact on the game as they play more and play a role that can control the game more.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Both. We finally have an elite number one D man, and an elite number one centre at the same time. (We’ve never had the elite D man, and only Hank as the elite centre.).
These two players could lead the team to multiple Cups if management does their job.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Both. We finally have an elite number one D man, and an elite number one centre at the same time. (We’ve never had the elite D man, and only Hank as the elite centre.).
These two players could lead the team to multiple Cups if management does their job.

I've been watching the canucks since early 90s, dont' remember ever having elite #1 center/dman at the same time.

Especially when they are both still so young and can grow together. This core has the potential to be the best yet.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Petterson was targeted and really focused on by the Wild. Hughes, partly due to this, partly due to the position he plays and partly due to his extremely elusive style was able to impact the last three games significantly more. Voted for Hughes but wouldn’t count Petterson out forever, he will start to assert his will in these types of matchups at some point down the road imo.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I disagree. Hughes has been the more important player all along. It has just taken people longer to realize that because of how important Pettersson also is (and because he came first).

I personally don't think Pettersson will ever be viewed as more valuable than Hughes anymore. Obviously each player will go though hot and cold stretches, but Hughes will be considered our more valuable player.
They are 20 and 21. Premature to set their careers in stone. Also the opposing teams are focusing 100% on Pettersson

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Luckily we have both and won't have to decide who to keep over the other for a very long time. As far as the poll goes I went with Hughes. I'm in my 40s and I've still never seen a franchise Dman here. Hughes is looking like something this team has been chasing since the 70s. That is very exciting for me.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I still can't get over the buzz I have just knowing Quinn Hughes is a Canuck. I could have never imagined in a million years that I would be more excited for a player than Pettersson. The historic SHL seasons, the debut, the 10 game goal streak, Pettersson has been one of the most exciting players I have ever seen put on a Canucks uniform... And still... Hughes is somehow better. Pettersson is elite, Hughes is gamebreaking. I can't believe that I'm watching this player play for us.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I still can't get over the buzz I have just knowing Quinn Hughes is a Canuck. I could have never imagined in a million years that I would be more excited for a player than Pettersson. The historic SHL seasons, the debut, the 10 game goal streak, Pettersson has been one of the most exciting players I have ever seen put on a Canucks uniform... And still... Hughes is somehow better. Pettersson is elite, Hughes is gamebreaking. I can't believe that I'm watching this player play for us.

Pettersson can also be considered game-breaking.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I still take Pettersson by a hair under gunpoint even though Hughes has gamebreaking ability and the potential to be a future Norris finalist. Hughes is perhaps more valuable to the team given positional need but Pettersson has been the Canucks' best overall player for the past two seasons and clearly would go 1OA in a redraft in his year, while Hughes, I think, still arguably would not be taken before Dahlin (and maybe Svechnikov).

But that's more of a testament to the quality of the year than the individual player. Both jumped up at least four positions in their respective draft so Canucks are exceedingly fortuitous to have both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad