Petterson or Dahlin?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Way too early to compare them and difficult to do. Dahlin is a stud, at such a young age and that's very rare. D-men usually aren't that mature in their defensive game as he is. Meanwhile, Pettersson is trying to single handedly carry a bottom 5 team with no current supporting cast. Just switched to center and plays with bottom 6 wingers and a shoddy D.

And the guy comparing Pettersson/ Dahlin to the Duchene/ Hedman discussions... lol. Pettersson is alot more like Datsyuk (with a much better shot) than Duchene.

Both look to be elite franchise players, at least.

Last edited:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Dahlin is not being carried by his teammates, if anything it's the other way around. He would look just as good on any other team.

Wrong. It’s one thing to be ”carried by your teammates” and another to have teammates/linemates who can actually handle the puck, make accurate passes and even score once in a while. If you don’t have that it affects your stats, period.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Guys, we already know who the runaway Calder winner is going to be:
20181020_124053.jpg

Reactions: Freeeeedom

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Dahlin is just simply a more critical and harder piece to find going forward.

I have watched both players quite a bit and both players are great no doubt. I have never seen a D in his D+1 season perform the way Dahlin has so far. His skillset also indicates he has a lot more offense to offer in the future. Could be a consistent 60+ point D with elite defensive game as well.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Canuck fan and I take Dahlin all day every day. Best D prospect in years, and could end up being one of the so called 'generational talents'. We have never had a #1 so I would back the brinks truck up to land him.

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
Stud defensemen are just so hard to come by and the value in the league amongst GM's is through the roof, so gotta take Dahlin.

Both players are great no doubt, happy for Sabre's and Canuck's fans, both franchises need these types of players!

Reactions: Mitts888

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Wrong. It’s one thing to be ”carried by your teammates” and another to have teammates/linemates who can actually handle the puck, make accurate passes and even score once in a while. If you don’t have that it affects your stats, period.

Forget the stats, just watch him play. He's had some ups and downs as any rookie will, but he has largely looked fantastic as an 18 year old NHL defenseman. Just looking at the stats is a disservice to Dahlin, as you'd probably say about Petterson as well.

Reactions: sabremike

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Comparing forwards to dmen is just awful. I've never liked it. Hard to appreciate how good a dman is until you actually watch them play enough to notice specific things in their game that they do really well and how they perform on both sides of the puck.

And in the end, it's just about what your team needs anyways if you were to pick one. A lot of people hating on either player have clearly not seen the other play

My thoughts too.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Pettersson's supporting cast is horrible.

Not even McDavid could make Goldobin and whoever look good.
You obviously haven’t been paying attention to Goldie play this year. Leads team in assists and is often the only winger who can keep up to EP on the rush.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
If I'm building a franchise, I take Dahlins over Peterson no questions asked.

As far as the Calder goes, I don't think either team's fans care. Petterson and Dahlin are both legit and if somehow Heiskanen won it, it wouldn't change a thing. Vancouver has their #1 center, Buffalo has their #1 Dman.

Reactions: ek93 and Kreator

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I don’t buy the “Dahlin is 18 years old” argument for why he will necessarily be better.

Look at Sam Bennett when he was 18. Looked like a future star, now he’s a plumber on a team where his offensive potential isn’t being limited by a lack of skilled players to play with.

Look at another defenseman Luke Schenn who played in the NHL at 18 who was heralded as the next great shutdown defenseman and captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The list goes on and on..

If you are going to claim that Dahlin will improve then give a reason beyond that like, he has room for growth in X area which if achieved will produce Y result.

Saying it will magically happen because of his age is a fallacy.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I don’t buy the “Dahlin is 18 years old” argument for why he will necessarily be better.

Look at Sam Bennett when he was 18. Looked like a future star, now he’s a plumber on a team where his offensive potential isn’t being limited by a lack of skilled players to play with.

Look at another defenseman Luke Schenn who played in the NHL at 18 who was heralded as the next great shutdown defenseman and captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

If you are going to claim that Dahlin will improve then give a reason beyond that like, he has room for growth in X area which if achieved will produce Y result.

Dahlin is on pace for 40 points which hasn't been done by an 18 year old D man since Housley and before him, Orr. If that's not a big deal then it would have been done multiple times in the last 30 years.

IMO, it's way too early to say what Dahlin will become, but the age argument is pretty specific and measurable.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
You obviously haven’t been paying attention to Goldie play this year. Leads team in assists and is often the only winger who can keep up to EP on the rush.

The only reason he leads in assist is because of Pettersson. He makes a few good plays but anything positive is heavily outweighed by the negative. He's terrible in his own zone and the neutral zone and turns the puck over more often than not.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
The only reason he leads in assist is because of Pettersson. He makes a few good plays but anything positive is heavily outweighed by the negative. He's terrible in his own zone and the neutral zone and turns the puck over more often than not.
Not true and misleading.

Look at the Colorado and Boston games as examples - Goldie got assists with players not named Pettersson and we scored 15 goals.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017

Sam Bennett played one game as an 18 year old. Luke Schenn was 18 years old until November 2 of his rookie year. Dahlin will be 18 this whole regular season.

You should consider the "he's 18 years old" a little more before dismissing it completely.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Because Sam Bennet t and Luke Schenn were totally on Dahlins level in terms of prospects ... Jesus man

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Petterson for the Calder

Dahlin for the runner up and better career. (By a little bit)!

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006

Apples to bananas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad