Petterson or Dahlin?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Worth to mention is Pettersson played most of his games as an 18 year old in the Swedish second tier while Dahlin is in the NHL as an 18 year old. Dahlin is good and will be a beast

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Pettersson would win it today for sure. Heiskanen is looking like a franchise defenseman and Dahlin, despite some weird discrediting going on in this thread, has been stupendous and is probably our best defender in the D-zone already. Will be interesting to see if anyone else joins the conversation, Tkachuk is definitely making a case.

Reactions: Kreator

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Worth to mention is Pettersson played most of his games as an 18 year old in the Swedish second tier while Dahlin is in the NHL as an 18 year old. Dahlin is good and will be a beast
Not sure I buy that. It’s more important to look at draft plus one not age.
In his draft plus one year EP won the rookie of the year, MVP and playoff MVP in the tier one Swedish league and had an historic season.
Both players had or are having extraordinary draft plus 1 seasons.

Last edited:

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
There's no wrong answer to this one. Both are amazing. For my money, I take Dahlin. His caliber of D-man is too hard to find.

Reactions: sabremike

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Pettersson has a good game and suddenly there's 3 new pages in this thread?
apparently scoring on the Blues is something remarkable....Barzal had like 3 5 point games last year and didn't get the ridiculous amount of hype by comparison. Also i'm still laughing as if people are acting as if Dahlin is terrible on defense when he's one of the best....If the Sabres had any depth scoring at all Dahlin would of picked up at least 5 assists over the past 5 games. Nobody but the top line and the defense have scored on teams since the Lightning game.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
apparently scoring on the Blues is something remarkable....Barzal had like 3 5 point games last year and didn't get the ridiculous amount of hype by comparison.

It’s not about the points, it’s about what he’s doing on the ice shift after shift, it’s remarkable. You have to watch the games to appreciate all the subtle plays he makes and how many opportunities he’s setting up for his teammates. He leads all rookies with a +10 rating and is terrific defensively. It’s not just about the points, it’s how he’s playing.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
apparently scoring on the Blues is something remarkable....Barzal had like 3 5 point games last year and didn't get the ridiculous amount of hype by comparison. Also i'm still laughing as if people are acting as if Dahlin is terrible on defense when he's one of the best....If the Sabres had any depth scoring at all Dahlin would of picked up at least 5 assists over the past 5 games.

Barzal plays for an irrelevant market outside of Canada. Of course he is going to get less coverage and attention.

Its laughable that some people try and down play multiple 5 point games by anyone, let alone a rookie. If it were so easy, it would happen all the time...as if the Blues are the only bad team that is easy to score on.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
It’s not about the points, it’s about what he’s doing on the ice shift after shift, it’s remarkable. You have to watch the games to appreciate all the subtle plays he makes and how many opportunities he’s setting up for his teammates. He leads all rookies with a +10 rating and is terrific defensively. It’s not just about the points, it’s how he’s playing.
yeah I watched him against the Sabres and he had 0 points and 1 shot...apparently he isn't doing "every game" like some people stated. I remember Dahlin playing a pretty good role for the comeback to get them tied down 1-3. If we got by +- I could easily state that Dahlin is having a much bigger impact than Heisk considering Heisk sitting at -2 while Dahlin is +6 even though the Stars have a higher GD and that's not simply a product of playing high minutes on the Sabres obviously considering Risto is -7 with 25:31 per game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Both amazing. I would guess Petterson gets the Calder if he keeps blowing the field away offensively. Not easy for a D to win a calder when there are standout offensive guys. Factor like playing tough minutes, volume of minutes, how hard it is for a D to break into the league at 18, etc... I think those types of arguments are completely lost on the vast majority of voters. If Petterson ends up with 70-80 points, I think it will be a landslide vote.

Who I would take on the oilers though, for very obvious reasons, Dahlin :)

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Not sure I buy that. It’s more important to look at draft plus one not age.
In his draft plus one year EP won the rookie of the year, MVP and playoff MVP in the tier one Swedish league and had an historic season.
Both players had or are having extraordinary draft plus 1 seasons.

This going over my head. Dahlin isn’t yet in his +1 season?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
So far the only way to effectively stop Pettersson has been the can opener and chokeslam.

Luckily for Pettersson, WWE moves aren't usually tolerated in the NHL.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
apparently scoring on the Blues is something remarkable....Barzal had like 3 5 point games last year and didn't get the ridiculous amount of hype by comparison. Also i'm still laughing as if people are acting as if Dahlin is terrible on defense when he's one of the best....If the Sabres had any depth scoring at all Dahlin would of picked up at least 5 assists over the past 5 games. Nobody but the top line and the defense have scored on teams since the Lightning game.

No need to get salty. The only right answer to this question is either, or both please!

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Barzal had like 3 5 point games last year and didn't get the ridiculous amount of hype by comparison.

Were you not here last year?

Barzal got an IMMENSE amount of hype. Tons of threads created comparing him to guys like Matthews and Marner constantly. Every time he had a 5 point game, the Chiarelli jokes started too.

Barzal was one of the biggest hyped rookies I've seen around these parts since I registered here.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Barzal got an IMMENSE amount of hype. Tons of threads created comparing him to guys like Matthews and Marner constantly. Every time he had a 5 point game, the Chiarelli jokes started too.

Barzal was one of the biggest hyped rookies I've seen around these parts since I registered here.
He had like 3 threads for his 5 point games nothing even remotely close to the Gretzsky comparisons.......but ok.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver

I came in to say something similar. There was a ton of (IMO deserved) hype for Barzal last year, particularly when he had his 5 point games.

As to the topic at hand, I agree with the many other posters here who say you can't go wrong with either. I'm very happy to have EP and I totally understand why Sabres fans are hyped on Dahlin.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Pettersson literally has had both 5p nights before Barzal, also barzal got plenty of love for this and his rookie season in general (by literally everyone, not just islanders.) He also had less points and goals than Petey at the same game mark (26p-6g) and at the time, people thought what he was doing was insane. pettersson has 15g and 30p. Also, same with pettersson when it comes to linemates not finishing. He would have a lot more points if players were able to put in the quality chances he creates lol. (While Boeser was injured, he played most of this season with Loui and Goldy--Goldy is good, he just isnt a goal-scorer and f***s up a lot of petey's chances because of it, loui cant seem to hit an empty net). both the sabres and canucks are head to head in gf/gp.

Only difference is pettersson has contributed to 32% of the 94g that canucks have scored (despite missing 6 games) - 16% for dahlin. Obviously comparing forwards to d-men is unfair, but just to give you an idea Ekblad had contributed to 20% of the panthers goals in 2014-2015 on the 5th worst offensive team. Barzal had contributed to 33% playing 82 games and on the 7th most offensive team. These are the comparisons I'm making towards two of the best rookie seasons in recent history for both d-men and forwards, also the most comparable players in that ekblad was 18 yrs old and barzal was d+1

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Both amazing. I would guess Petterson gets the Calder if he keeps blowing the field away offensively. Not easy for a D to win a calder when there are standout offensive guys. Factor like playing tough minutes, volume of minutes, how hard it is for a D to break into the league at 18, etc... I think those types of arguments are completely lost on the vast majority of voters. If Petterson ends up with 70-80 points, I think it will be a landslide vote.

Who I would take on the oilers though, for very obvious reasons, Dahlin :)
Pettersson has been in a very tough environment though. He's the number every coach puts on the board first. He has played with struggling wingers. Dahlin has had a slightly easier ride, but it's kind of equal considering age and position. They are both huge factors for their teams. They are both big contributors, but I'm more impressed by Pettersson as the clear #1 player already.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pettersson has been in a very tough environment though. He's the number every coach puts on the board first. He has played with struggling wingers. Dahlin has had a slightly easier ride, but it's kind of equal considering age and position. They are both huge factors for their teams already.

Yeah, I didn't meant to take anything away from Petterson with my comment, he's been awesome from what I've seen. More talking about voters being very apt to burying Dman rookies when there is a standout offensive guy to pick for a Calder. Ekblad won because all the top offensive rookies were all basically tied in points. Myers was right up by Tavares in points.

Werenski got 0 1st place votes and barely any 2nd place ones in 2017 with a 47 point rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->