Petterson or Dahlin?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Dahlin isn't even the best rookie defenceman this year. Heiskenen has been better.

I feel this way too, well at least up to today. Heiskenen kinda like Pettersson. both players don't really have a glaring weakness's and has blended into their teams no problem. dhalin needs to work on his defensive side of things.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Once again...dahlin not even the best rookie dman. Show miro so some God damn rispek.

Colin white and kotkaniemi not in the race...but they're on pace to have really strong seasons too. The injury to duchene in particular is huge for whites game.

Reactions: Gabranth

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
Petterson isn't that great. Boeser is pretty much carrying Petterson out there. Like Boeser's hat trick today, that was all Boeser, nothing to do with Petterson.

firstly, EP got primary assists on 4 goals today, including all 3 of Boeser's goals, he makes Boeser better, not the other way around

secondly, these

Reactions: tfu92 and Grub

The ultimate fan

Oct 16, 2018
also, these

Oh and by the way in the teams super skills contest the 170 lb (or so) Pettersson had the hardest shot at 99 mph as Horvat said "imagine what he could get if he weighed another 10 or 20 lbs" which he obviously is going to be at in the not too distant future. What other slight guy in the league can shoot a puck like that? Anybody?

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Both awesome but Dahlins upside is a generational defenceman who changes the way the position is played and viewed, Pettersson isn't even in that ballpark. And that's no slight to Pettersson he's going to be a top forward in the NHL for a long time. Short term though the calder race will be interesting. Rare for a young D to have this big of an impact but gonna be hard to beat Pettersson if he finishes ppg+.

And how has he done this? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just curious.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
did you actually compare McDavid to Dahlin?

Do they teach reading comprehension in Manitoba? It is clear that is not what he was referring to but I suppose you can tell yourself that. Whatever floats your boat.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
And how has he done this? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just curious.
I think from a technique perspective some of what he does with his skating and edge work is to the point where it could change a lot of the teaching about skating. Watch his legs and the aggressive knee positioning and how fluidly he can switch edges on all his dekes. As a skating coach its so impressive to watch and kind of mind bending on some plays. Playstyle wise I think he could become the endpoint of the perfect modern defenceman that kind of started with how Karlsson played. He seems like he could be the guy that will be emulated by the next generation of kids. Not extremely likely he becomes that good obviously but I think its within the realm of reasonable possibilities.

Last edited:

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
The calder is about who's better now, not who's going to have a greater career. They're both great and as a Swede it's exciting.
I would give the edge to Elias right now. Defenders usually have a hard time winning the calder since it's heavily point based.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The calder is about who's better now, not who's going to have a greater career. They're both great and as a Swede it's exciting.
I would give the edge to Elias right now. Defenders usually have a hard time winning the calder since it's heavily point based.
Not true, it's about who has the most impressive rookie season. Just as an example, Ekblad wasn't the best rookie in 2014-15, or even the best rookie defenseman. But he still won.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think from a technique perspective some of what he does with his skating and edge work is to the point where it could change a lot of the teaching about skating. Watch his legs and the aggressive knee positioning and how fluidly he can switch edges on all his dekes. As a skating coach its so impressive to watch and kind of mind bending on some plays. Playstyle wise I think he could become the endpoint of the perfect modern defenceman that kind of started with how Karlsson played. He seems like he could be the guy that will be emulated by the next generation of kids. Not extremely likely he becomes that good obviously but I think its within the realm of reasonable possibilities.

This isn't a comparison, but your description sounds like Subban to a tee, that is his playing style. His edge work is arguably one of the best in the NHL (watch his youtube videos of him doing skating training), I don't think Dahlin is revolutionizing the way defense is played due to skating we've already seen. Maybe he's on his way to perfecting it or doing it better, but he's certainly not introducing it.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Is that why this thread was dead for like 2 weeks?
I mean the last 2.5 weeks he's played 6 games and has had 6 points, excluding his 5 point night yesterday. So maybe him gathering up points has just become expected.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Just realized Heiskanen is at .5ppg and outscoring Dahlin. A lot better than him defensively so far and doing as well offensively.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Just realized Heiskanen is at .5ppg and outscoring Dahlin. A lot better than him defensively so far and doing as well offensively.
Yes, Dahlin is a bust and Heiskanen should win the Norris. We got that after the first 5 games.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
The real question should be Pettersson or Heiskanen.

And the answer is EP if you need offence and MH if you need defence. Both players deserves the calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->