Prospect Info: Petrus Palmu

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Excited for this pick. Obvious high skill, and though he's short, the kid is build like a tank. He's thicc.

Plays a buzzsaw type game. Always buzzing around the net. I don't want to say Brendan Gallagher, but I'm definitely happy to take Palmu in the 6th round.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
he is small but it's not problem for him. Palmu is strong, tenacious and protects the puck well. Great shot. Player comparable for me: Jonathan Marchessault

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Isn't that every draft pick?

Technically yes. But overagers like Palmu if he goes undrafted he could be signed as a UFA. Drafting him with a late round pick secures his rights. Higher picks rarely re-enter the draft because they don't want to sign with the team that originally drafted them because it doesn't make financial sense so I don't treat it as the same thing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Technically yes. But overagers like Palmu if he goes undrafted he could be signed as a UFA. Drafting him with a late round pick secures his rights. Higher picks rarely re-enter the draft because they don't want to sign with the team that originally drafted them because it doesn't make financial sense so I don't treat it as the same thing.

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

FWIW, teams can also sign non-overagers as UFAs during a window (not going to look up the dates) post-draft.

Kellan Tochkin was an example of this. He was signed to an ELC the summer after his first draft-eligible season after going undrafted.

Last edited:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Next to size, the shot is the first thing you'll notice about Palmu. He can score from anywhere on the ice with that shot. I've never seen a forward man a point on a PP better in the OHL. He was always on the point and a threat to score because of his shot. Better shot than a lot of defenders.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kid is built like a bowling ball....sick hands and great vision....I realize he's older than Kailer Yamamoto, who now holds the record as the smallest player ever taken in first-round draft history......but obviously the Oilers wouldn't have drafted him in the first round if they didn't think he could play.....so why not Palmu?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Kid is built like a bowling ball....sick hands and great vision....I realize he's older than Kailer Yamamoto, who now holds the record as the smallest player ever taken in first-round draft history......but obviously the Oilers wouldn't have drafted him in the first round if they didn't think he could play.....so why not Palmu?

I'm not entirely sure on Palmu, but Yamamoto will actually initiate contact rather than trying to avoid it - he's a really feisty player for his size, which really helped his case to go in the first round since he is smaller. He doesn't shy away from contact at all.

If Palmu plays like that already, then that's great.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not entirely sure on Palmu, but Yamamoto will actually initiate contact rather than trying to avoid it - he's a really feisty player for his size, which really helped his case to go in the first round since he is smaller. He doesn't shy away from contact at all.

If Palmu plays like that already, then that's great.

I don’t think a 5’6†player can play that kind of game without destroying the body.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don’t think a 5’6†player can play that kind of game without destroying the body.

Not saying it wouldn't either. If he's already avoiding contact at the junior level, what's going to change if he makes it to the pros? He'll more than likely play more scared/cautious than ever before. That's where I think a player like Yamamoto who initiates contact already may not get held back as much in higher levels, even though he is smaller.

Better be fast and elusive as hell.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
from november 29th

An OHL match between the Owen Sound Attack and London Knights will take place on Friday - broadcast by Sportsnet at 4:30 PST. Not sure if I'm gonna be there to watch, but here are some names I'd keep an eye on in that game.

390b8b37f8f045b8be780b9670044104.png

In order of them getting drafted, I'd say it'd look like.

Suzuki, Thomas, Phillips, Hancock, Palmu (I don't think he'll end up getting picked but I think he'd be worth signing after the draft).
astute. you were on the case early.

and then you talked up kole lind two days later, in the same breath as jonah gadjovich, which is a great coincidence

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
:laugh: i remember that.

honestly lind wasn't even my favourite player at 33. i still liked the pick but i wasn't quite as high on him in the tail end of the season and i do take back some of the things i said about him.

gadjovich was a riser and he had one hell of a second half. both him and lind ended up in my first round.

but yes i did like palmu the whole time.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Palmu really impressed me these playoffs. I tuned into quite a few Attack games to see Suzuki. Every time I would be blown away by this little pinball. Was always the most impressive player besides Suzuki in every game I would watch. It's going to be an extreme uphill battle for him to make the Show, but I'll be cheering him on the whole way.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Absolute glowing reviews by his coach on 1040.... says he has no doubt palmu can play in the Ahl this year and has the same burning desire to prove people wrong .. also said he thinks he will play in the NHL... and his attitude will, will him there.

Said he wants to play in North America. So I susiect we will see him in Utica this year

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We need to get an on-line petition going to get Palmu signed and into the AHL with Utica....his coach Ryan McGill saying he has no doubt the kid could play in the AHL next year.....but also read somewhere he has a contract to play in Finland.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the highlights @DaJackal

I believe feebs had mentioned this guy's ability to man the point on the PP. High end skill and wow, what a shot this guy has.

And just wanna echo @DanCloutiersFiveHole's excitement. Love this pick and hopefully he continues to work on his strength and development this summer.

Getting this guy's jersey when he plays 2 full seasons for the Canucks

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He is a guy that I believe would do well in the AHL. He seems physically developed for someone his age

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad