Prospect Info: Petrus Palmu

thegutter

May 22, 2011
Love the pick. Even though he's 5'6 he almost put up 100 points in the ohl. Definitely better to take a chance on a guy like this than a .4 points a game meat and potatoes guy.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
So whats the scouting report on this guy

Imagine all of the attributes of a super-skilled, blue chip NHL prospect with electric moves and a non-stop motor.

But he's 5'6...

Other than size, his biggest weaknesses are that he's not built like a tank (ala Zuccarello or Gerbe), and doesn't have the long stide to really be an explosive skater (though he's elusive as hell). For those reasons alone, I don't see an NHL future for him. But the game is changing enough that you just. never. know.

Palmu was probably the best player on a stacked Owen Sound team this year, able to play on any line and dominate. A full bag of tricks, offensive smarts, an absolute hammer of a slapshot that he places well, combined with the work ethic and two-way play that Finns are known for. Truly a complete player for his age, if only he wasn't so little.

Totally worth it for the Canucks to take a flyer on him, give him a year of pro hockey in Finland, then try his luck in North America if he keeps taking steps forward.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So happy with this pick, he was my sleeper from months ago.

My report:
LW - Petrus Palmu
- The Finn has elite NHL talent such as strong defense, playmaking skills, blazing speed, hockey IQ, and a great shot, but his super small 5'6, 179 frame really needs to grow to accomplish anything. He's been passed over last year but if he hits a late spurt he can be a real threat.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So happy with this pick, he was my sleeper from months ago.

My report:
LW - Petrus Palmu
- The Finn has elite NHL talent such as strong defense, playmaking skills, blazing speed, hockey IQ, and a great shot, but his super small 5'6, 179 frame really needs to grow to accomplish anything. He's been passed over last year but if he hits a late spurt he can be a real threat.

Confirmed bust.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Imagine all of the attributes of a super-skilled, blue chip NHL prospect with electric moves and a non-stop motor.

But he's 5'6...

Other than size, his biggest weaknesses are that he's not built like a tank (ala Zuccarello or Gerbe), and doesn't have the long stide to really be an explosive skater (though he's elusive as hell). For those reasons alone, I don't see an NHL future for him. But the game is changing enough that you just. never. know.

Palmu was probably the best player on a stacked Owen Sound team this year, able to play on any line and dominate. A full bag of tricks, offensive smarts, an absolute hammer of a slapshot that he places well, combined with the work ethic and two-way play that Finns are known for. Truly a complete player for his age, if only he wasn't so little.

You blind? not seen him play?

Dude IS a tank weighs already 181 pounds,he is speedy,really
speedy,really quick first steps,has that breakout speed,
has a cannon of a shot...also he is 5 foot 7,not 5 foot 6.

Is also good passer,really good in PP,
good in 5 on 5 too.

He is not a player with good two way game in him,
he is solely a point scoring,goal scoring top 6 player

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

But he's 5'6...

You blind? not seen him play?

Dude IS a tank weighs already 181 pounds,he is speedy,really
speedy,really quick first steps,has that breakout speed,
has a cannon of a shot...also he is 5 foot 7,not 5 foot 6.

Is also good passer,really good in PP,
good in 5 on 5 too.

He is not a player with good two way game in him,
he is solely a point scoring,goal scoring top 6 player

Watched him play for three seasons in Owen Sound, 100+ viewings.

If we're talking about his size against men, especially at the NHL level, it's a huge question mark. He was big enough to work his magic against junior aged players, but I don't know if he's got the speed to do it against men.

If there's hope for Canuck fans on his NHL upside, is that he's basically the same height and weight as Zuccarello. So there's that.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I really like our Owen Sound picks. Wish we always drafted like this in the later rounds.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i think they made the best gamble possible with this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad