Peterborough Petes 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Im just wondering how we're going to be able to dress teh goalie situation. Didnt do it through import draft. Now running out of picks quickly and doesnt seem liek there will be many high end goalies available. Brochu and who else? Could be an OA whos good but not great like Costantini, but you cant have your season blow up cuz you tried to go cheap in net, the most important position
oh I agree, I just like this single trade. I think contantini would be a good pick up, better then ranger or cranley imo.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
oh I agree, I just like this single trade. I think contantini would be a good pick up, better then ranger or cranley imo.
Agreed, Just dont think you can count on any of those 3 unless you have head nad shoulders a better team than the rest, like HAM did last year

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
DeZoete-Robertson-Lardis
Avon-Lockhart-Stillman
Melee-Dubois-Purdeller
Page-Van Volsen-Lewis

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Seems like a "regressing and needs a new team" for a "regressing and needs a new team". Dont think you can just assume Sproule production from Lockhart. Is capable of it, but hasnt shown it at the OHL level to this point
Lockhart and Sproule (2 years older) played together in Erie in 2019-2020.
  • Lockhart had 27 pts in 57 games in 2019-2020 (as a 16 year old)​
  • Sproule had 25 pts in 63 games in 2019-2020 (as an 18 year old)​

Both missed 2020-2021 COVID season

Then last season…...
  • Lockhart had 48 pts in 64 games in 2021-2022 (as an 18 year old)​
  • Sproule had 86 pts in 65 games with Petes in 2021-2022 (as a 20 year old)​

Rob Wilson and the Petes coaching staff were a breath of fresh air for Sproule (and Joe Carroll).
I expect Lockhart to play with talented line-mates, put up over a PPG and have a great season in Peterborough.

Petes2win1soon

Aug 4, 2020
Who are the Petes depth defenseman next season now?

Mayer
McCoy
Guryev
Zanetti
Smith
Guo

Leskovar? Wilson? McGrail? Tuin?
Tough to crack the Top 6 or 7 esp if an OA D is added....Leskovar likely bumps to 7th for Kavanaugh (as they signed him last year and played a couple games up.
I like McGrail smaller D but great skater, good first pass, bullet accurate shot, and solid frame ..looks like he has been putting in work..be nice if they gave him a shot....if not this year ..next
What about 05 Runco as well...hard working, physical D man. Tuin might be a year or 2 away from making jump.....maybe they sign a couple of these guys and play in juniors and call up for a few games and bump in next year... if oke decides to go for it...some of these pieces could be on move...time will tell how it all shakes out

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
FORWARDS:

IMO, here are the lines at this point:

Lardis(L)(05)-Robertson(R)(03)-Purdeller (R)(04)
Avon (L)(03)-Lockhart(R)(03)-Stillman(R)(03)
Melee (L)(04)-Dubois(R)(03)- Dezoete (L)(04)
Page(L)(05)-Van Volsen(L)(06)-Lewis(R)(05)

But keep in mind, they will be adding at least 1 OA to this group.

3 open OA spots still to be filled……

My guess is one of each: a goalie, a Dman and a forward.

*IMO it’s obvious these need to be great players but, it’s so important that these are character guys,on and off the ice, team-first players who are leaders and excited to come to Peterborough and go for an OHL championship.

G – Brochu(LDN), Constantini(HAM), Onuska(WSR), Lennox(SAG)

D – not sure which Dmen will be available and acquiring one of these guys may need a wait-and-see approach by Oke – maybe right up to the deadline…..

White (HAM), Renwick (WSR), Schlueting/Smith (SAG), Montgomery/Keane(LDN)

F – I really like Piercey(FLT) and McDonnell(BAR) but both teams are expected to contend and are most likely keeping these two. Other possible OA targets?:

Hill/Burke (SAR), Panwar (FLT), Hayes/Morrison (HAM), Hardie/Collins (MISS), Cardwell(BAR), Maggio (WSR)

Then, come the trade deadline, Oke can assess the team needs and target a top 03.

Reactions: Petes2win1soon

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Rob Wilson and the Petes coaching staff were a breath of fresh air for Sproule (and Joe Carroll).
I expect Lockhart to play with talented line-mates, put up over a PPG and have a great season in Peterborough.
As far a Joe Carroll, I actually expected him above a point per game last season. He was .77 points per game two years ago so hitting .95 after skipping the covid season was pretty standard progress in this league, if not a little below average. Not sure about the breath of fresh air.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
FORWARDS:

*IMO it’s obvious these need to be great players but, it’s so important that these are character guys,on and off the ice, team-first players who are leaders and excited to come to Peterborough and go for an OHL championship.

D – not sure which Dmen will be available and acquiring one of these guys may need a wait-and-see approach by Oke – maybe right up to the deadline…..

F – I really like Piercey(FLT) and McDonnell(BAR) but both teams are expected to contend and are most likely keeping these two. Other possible OA targets?:

Hill/Burke (SAR), Panwar (FLT), Hayes/Morrison (HAM), Hardie/Collins (MISS), Cardwell(BAR), Maggio (WSR)

Then, come the trade deadline, Oke can assess the team needs and target a top 03.
Burke would be pretty sweet to potentially unite a local lads line. Avon-Burke-Stillman

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
As far a Joe Carroll, I actually expected him above a point per game last season. He was .77 points per game two years ago so hitting .95 after skipping the covid season was pretty standard progress in this league, if not a little below average. Not sure about the breath of fresh air.
Sorry my focus was on Sproule so that comment really didn't apply to Carroll, but I would say that Carroll enjoyed his time in Peterborough - a veteran leader who modelled to the younger players what it's like to play "gritty". Carroll is definitely a player whose value cannot truly be measured by stats alone.

Two of his highlights that stand out during his time with the Petes was scoring a hat-trick against Kingston at the PMC and scoring the Teddy Bear Toss goal.

I wish Carroll and Sproule all the best in the future. The way they played for the Petes last season should pay off with the play of the returning players this season.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
FORWARDS:

Only thing with your depth chart is that Lockhart is a winger

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I have always cheered for the Petes but since Rob Wilson hit the scene I LOVE the Petes.

It seems like every player has heart and grit which something I feel we have lacked in recent years. Our lads have character, determination and true North strong grit. Sometimes stats don’t reflect the character.

I don’t think you can really measure off ice contributions in stats.

A leader leads on ice as well as off ice -there are no stats for off ice contributions.

I know stats are crucial but I am okay if you aren’t averaging 2 pts per game as long as I see your heart and soul out there

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I have always cheered for the Petes but since Rob Wilson hit the scene I LOVE the Petes.

It seems like every player has heart and grit which something I feel we have lacked in recent years. Our lads have character, determination and true North strong grit. Sometimes stats don’t reflect the character.

I don’t think you can really measure off ice contributions in stats.

A leader leads on ice as well as off ice -there are no stats for off ice contributions.

I know stats are crucial but I am okay if you aren’t averaging 2 pts per game as long as I see your heart and soul out there
Interested to see what makes you say this. You often see teams that win get attributed with heart because they assume you can't win without it. But how does a team who didn't win get attributed it in your eyes? Or do you know them personally or something?

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Don’t get me wrong -I want the Petes to win and I know it is important to focus on stats etc

But I think “heart” is also important.

I am a homer -big time so take what I say knowing I am a homer :)

It seems to me that under Jody Hull that the Petes didn’t take it as personally if someone beat them.

Rob Wilson’s Petes seem to take it personally -which I attribute to heart and character.

Also , (I don’t know them personally but) I sit close to the bench so I see a lot of interaction-it’s just as interesting as the game to be honest. The way players react to each other, to stuff on the ice, to the coaches -you can see their “game” characters.

Some players encourage the others after a bad play, some players hug each other -they tap each other after a good play -they seem supportive of each other and cohesive as team.

I didn’t see much of that under previous coaches -don’t really know why

Reactions: Square Corners

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I guess we'll see. The good thing for the Petes is that a number of players are centre-able
Robertson, Avon, Dubois Melee, Lockhart, OA addition?
I just know Erie switched him from Centre in year 2 to winger in year 3 to try to take a burden off him and unlock him offensively. Didnt really work as they hoped but dont really think he'll go back to centre for year 4. Especially with Robertson and Avon ahead of him. He's not going to play on the 3rd line. Seems like a guy who needs to play tiop 6 to be effective. He wont be a checking line guy or shutdown role player

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
FORWARDS:

Do you have any assets left to trade?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Hopefully Lockhart does well for you...

Extremely fast player, shows signs of why he was the 3rd overall pick when he wants to. Can fly by players, score from all over, and soft hands. However, all that God given talent and he can actually be lazy at times, which is sad. I don't know if it is arrogance/cockiness or what. I was hoping for more out of him in Erie, he just didn't get there.

Maybe the change of scenery does him well.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Hopefully Lockhart does well for you...

Extremely fast player, shows signs of why he was the 3rd overall pick when he wants to. Can fly by players, score from all over, and soft hands. However, all that God given talent and he can actually be lazy at times, which is sad. I don't know if it is arrogance/cockiness or what. I was hoping for more out of him in Erie, he just didn't get there.

Maybe the change of scenery does him well.
I heard somewhere Clarke wouldn’t report to Erie if selected?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I just know Erie switched him from Centre in year 2 to winger in year 3 to try to take a burden off him and unlock him offensively. Didnt really work as they hoped but dont really think he'll go back to centre for year 4. Especially with Robertson and Avon ahead of him. He's not going to play on the 3rd line. Seems like a guy who needs to play tiop 6 to be effective. He wont be a checking line guy or shutdown role player
Petes probably add two OA forwards; but if just one for now, why not
Avon-Robertson-Stillman
Purdeller—Dubois-OA
VanVolsen-Lockhart-Lardis

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What the hell does this have to do with Lockhart?
Don’t worry about that guy. All he does is try to stir things up and try to convince everybody the Colts are the best…

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Don’t worry about that guy. All he does is try to stir things up and try to convince everybody the Colts are the best…
As a western conference team, I’m not exposed to him enough haha. But Lockhart was a consensus top 5ish pick the year Erie took him. He has the tools and talent. Just never put it together and likely was never going to here. A change of scenery is the only hope for him at this stage. I wouldn’t be shocked if he becomes a star but I wouldn’t be surprised if he just stays at the pace of development he’s been on. Who knows. He’s been wildly inconsistent in Erie. Wish him the best though and hoping Alfano at least gives us some different type of skillset. Erie has a redundant amount of small speed guys. Which made Lockhart expendable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad