Peterborough Petes 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Peterborough Memorial Centre was renovated 19 years ago. I like our arena and all the history in it. I know a new one needs to be built but I would have no problem continuing to watch hockey there.
It will be a fun place to watch hockey this year!
I expect "laker-sized" crowds will be more common this season :popcorn:

Reactions: Petes1987

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It will be a fun place to watch hockey this year!
I expect "laker-sized" crowds will be more common this season :popcorn:
Laker sized crowds? Wouldn’t expect that unless they show they are a top team. The only time they come close to a laker size crowd is when there is a minor hockey tournament going on. Tickets are much more expensive then lakers tickets. For a family of 4 to go to a game your talking easily 100 bucks with tickets and food which is just not reasonable for most families in todays world

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Laker sized crowds? Wouldn’t expect that unless they show they are a top team. The only time they come close to a laker size crowd is when there is a minor hockey tournament going on. Tickets are much more expensive then lakers tickets. For a family of 4 to go to a game your talking easily 100 bucks with tickets and food which is just not reasonable for most families in todays world
Petes have comparatively great ticket prices. ($299 + tax) must be corner seat for children & seniors?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Petes drew large crowds in 2019-2020 that sometimes were often in the 3,000 plus range. Those crowds were close to Laker crowds.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
@Petes comment accusing you of hating the team for making an observation in 3 2 1 and go

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Let’s see how wrong I can be… heading into exhibition games the Petes will have the following players left on the roster

F (16) -
T.Robertson
J.Avon
N.Lardis
C.Lockhart
C.Stillman
J.Dezoete
J.Melee
J.Dubois
Q.Page
Z.Lewis
J.Van Volsen
S.McCue
T.Purdeller
C.Lefebrve
B.McCallum
B.Faulkner

D (9) -

S.Mayer
D.McCoy
A.Guryev
J.Guo
B.Zanetti
S.Spearing
K.Smith
S.Leskovar
D.Wilson

G (3) -

M.Simpson
X.Miceli or trade for OA (Medina, Lennox etc)
E.Rye

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The above list doesn’t look wrong at all; unless, that list implies Page as top 9 F and Gou as top 4 D. I do not envision Page as a regular on the game day line up sheet once the OA spots are filled.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The above list doesn’t look wrong at all; unless, that list implies Page as top 9 F and Gou as top 4 D. I do not envision Page as a regular on the game day line up sheet once the OA spots are filled.
Nah I just listed the names I think will be around, they’re not in order at all.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
No surprises there with the decisions on Austin and Ziemins. I Iiked Ziemins but you have to be really good to warrant an import and OA spot. Austin was given every possible opportunity and couldn't stop more than 88% of shots.

I'm a bit surprised Spearing is back as captain. He's a solid OHL player and provides a very good defensive zone presence and is an excellent penalty killer, it just felt like such a lost season on and off the ice, felt like maybe it was time for a fresh start. At the same time because of all he went through last year, it would probably be more difficult for the Petes to just move on, if he wants to be back.

Sounds like they'll wait on filling the other two overage spots. Makes sense, they probably need to see if Simpson looks like a true #1. I'd expect a veteran goalie to come in at some point either way but one who could step in and spell Simpson from time to time would be a lot less costly than an elite #1. If they could not use an OA spot there, it would give more options up front as well.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Sets up more nad more that they go get another goalie and Simpson and the new guy both get 50%of the net uintil someone takes it

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
No surprises there with the decisions on Austin and Ziemins. I Iiked Ziemins but you have to be really good to warrant an import and OA spot. Austin was given every possible opportunity and couldn't stop more than 88% of shots.

I'm a bit surprised Spearing is back as captain. He's a solid OHL player and provides a very good defensive zone presence and is an excellent penalty killer, it just felt like such a lost season on and off the ice, felt like maybe it was time for a fresh start. At the same time because of all he went through last year, it would probably be more difficult for the Petes to just move on, if he wants to be back.

Sounds like they'll wait on filling the other two overage spots. Makes sense, they probably need to see if Simpson looks like a true #1. I'd expect a veteran goalie to come in at some point either way but one who could step in and spell Simpson from time to time would be a lot less costly than an elite #1. If they could not use an OA spot there, it would give more options up front as well.
I do think that Spearing offers many intangibles as Oke mentions in the article. As a team it seemed to me that the Petes were great shot-blockers. Spearing, when he was in the lineup, was one of their best shot blockers and a good role model for the younger players when it came to effort, playing with grit and being a team guy.

The play of Simpson and Spearing in the first couple of months will affect the moves that Oke makes.

If Spearing is not 100% and effective as a shut-down #1 PK defender then an OA upgrade on defense may be the result. The issue for Spearing might be the quality, depth and youth of the other Petes Dmen......he could find himself at the bottom of the depth chart which just can't happen for an OA on a championship team.

If Simpson has injury issues or struggles with his play, a premium OA goalie may have to be traded for.

I have no problem starting the year with Spearing as the only OA. I would imagine an OA forward will be acquired sooner rather than later but Oke may want to wait and see who Hamilton gets back - Morrison or Hayes seem like the most likely targets for the Petes

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Is anyone concerned about the size of our forward group? Not that I am overly concerned myself but with the Lockhart trade we lost a big guy (Alfano) and gained a smaller forward. Ziemans is big and he's gone (though not surprising he isn't coming back as an OA). We do have some smaller or average sized forwards that play tough which helps and our defense is big which helps again. When they picked up Lockhart I think the Petes management thought all of this through and were prioritizing a higher skill set for the top 6 fwds.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Sets up more nad more that they go get another goalie and Simpson and the new guy both get 50%of the net uintil someone takes it
Any idea who might be available and the Petes may be interested in?
Possible OA goalie targets are a little easier to figure out.
Are there any particular 2003 goalies that may be trade options?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Is anyone concerned about the size of our forward group? Not that I am overly concerned myself but with the Lockhart trade we lost a big guy (Alfano) and gained a smaller forward. Ziemans is big and he's gone (though not surprising he isn't coming back as an OA). We do have some smaller or average sized forwards that play tough which helps and our defense is big which helps again. When they picked up Lockhart I think the Petes management thought all of this through and were prioritizing a higher skill set for the top 6 fwds.

You are not alone in the concern of a smaller forward group… wish Petes were in on Zito before he went to Niagara. Another perfect fit… Riley Piercey from Flint. That’s the big and physical type of forward we need up front.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Either one of Panwar or Piercy from Flint would be good imo, it just depends on if LW or RW is preferred.
The Petes forwards are certainly not as big as NB, but not small. The only regulars that are small are Lardis & Lockhart. The next five smallest are 6’-6’1” and 175-180 lbs and Robertson <5’11” but 190 lbs.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Any idea who might be available and the Petes may be interested in?
Possible OA goalie targets are a little easier to figure out.
Are there any particular 2003 goalies that may be trade options?
If they are going with an OA goalie, they might wait a bit. Because if SImpson does show hes a #1 then you dont want to waste an OA spot on a bakcup. Not sure what 2003 born goalies are available out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad