Peterborough Petes 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I am also interested in keeping Guryev but only if they can get in his head and coach him out of taking so many penalties.
You'll never do that. He was taking penalties bullying guys on the ice and being over-physical when he was 17. He's not going to stop that when he's 19 and even bigger and even stronger, he's going to do it more

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Spearing should get a chance at a healthy season.
I can’t imagine Guryev not being an important part of the Petes this season.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
All valid comments regarding Spearing and Guryev.
The Petes have to hope that with maturity and hearing the same message from coaches, agent, and Sharks management, Guryev can pick his spots better, stay out of the box more and be more valuable to the team.
There are still too many Dmen and not enough ice time to keep everyone happy.
Mayer
Zanetti
McCoy
Smith
Guryev
Spearing
Guo
Leskovar
?

IMO, Guo needs to play and at worst should be on the 2nd PP unit

Something has to give

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
All valid comments regarding Spearing and Guryev.
The Petes have to hope that with maturity and hearing the same message from coaches, agent, and Sharks management, Guryev can pick his spots better, stay out of the box more and be more valuable to the team.
There are still too many Dmen and not enough ice time to keep everyone happy.
Mayer
Zanetti
McCoy
Smith
Guryev
Spearing
Guo
Leskovar
?

IMO, Guo needs to play and at worst should be on the 2nd PP unit

Something has to give
I guess we will find out soon enough but are we 100% sure that Zanetti is returning?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I guess we will find out soon enough but are we 100% sure that Zanetti is returning?
Zanetti is still unsigned by the Flyers and when I look at their depth chart, I can't see him playing in the AHL next year. (Philadelphia Flyers at eliteprospects.com)

His numbers weren't overly impressive last year, so my guess is that he will be better off playing another year with the Petes.

I'm still not sure what to make of Zanetti. Adjusting to the smaller ice surface was probably a major factor.
He is pretty solid all round but he doesn't WOW me with any one part of his game.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
If the Petes are going to contend in 2022-23 they will need Zanetti, McCoy and Guryev to be step up and be better. I'm confident all three will be better, especially McCoy who kept improving all season long. We need Zanetti to be very good and Guryev to stick to hockey, be physical but be clean. All three of these guys have skill. My bigger concerns (as most have been saying) is goaltending and depth with the forwards.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Haha this is great

Attachments

• 982B641A-180F-444C-8370-65EE61548A03.png
    982B641A-180F-444C-8370-65EE61548A03.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 12

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
That end up requesting a trade because they don’t wanna play here
Not sure if saying the truth means youre not a fan. Cuylle and Mason both told Oke not to draft them cuz they didnt want to come here. Those are just facts. Oke took them anyways and went 1/2. Fans will have differing opinions on if going 1/2 that high in the draft is a failure or not. I think you can have an opinion either way and still be a fan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not sure if saying the truth means youre not a fan. Cuylle and Mason both told Oke not to draft them cuz they didnt want to come here. Those are just facts. Oke took them anyways and went 1/2. Fans will have differing opinions on if going 1/2 that high in the draft is a failure or not. I think you can have an opinion either way and still be a fan
That was actually (one pick). One pick that resulted in 3-2nds, compensatory 2nd, 3-3rds, 4th, 5th, Stillman, Melee. That’s getting the most out of a single draft pick.

Last edited:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
That was actually (one pick). One pick that resulted in 3-2nds, compensatory 2nd, 3-3rds, 4th, 5th, Stillman, Melee. That’s getting the most out of a single draft pick.
Lol that's one way to skew the return. Either you can say it got the picks, or you can say it got Stillman. You cant act like it got you both. One cost the other...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Lol that's one way to skew the return. Either you can say it got the picks, or you can say it got Stillman. You cant act like it got you both. One cost the other...
Not sure I understand why one or the other, as Cuylle being a defect netted all that I stated; that was all the result of a single draft pick.
Should never lose on a defect imo.

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Let’s face facts…….Oke and the Petes are hamstrung relative to most other teams because of the facility and lack of $.
Despite this, I feel like GM Oke and the scouts have done a good job of drafting. Coach Wilson and his staff have done a solid job of developing the players and buying into the program.
If you asked Mason McTavish if he felt like he enjoyed his time and Peterborough and did they help develop him, I have no doubt he would say “yes”.
He did not request a trade but he did have input on where he would be traded - the kid played in the NHL, the world juniors and the Olympics. Oke was always going to accommodate his request.
With COVID now in the rear view mirror (hopefully) we will see if Oke and Wilson and the assembled players can make it happen. It will be an exciting year to be a Petes fan and that’s really all I can ask for.

Reactions: Zebra and dirty12

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Not sure I understand why one or the other, as Cuylle being a defect netted all that I stated; that was all the result of a single draft pick.
Should never lose on a defect imo.
You do realize that it's just Gennies updates (Square Corners) trolling right? I'm pretty sure 99 out of 100 fans would take the the haul we got for Cuylle and be extremely happy.

Is there even any ACTUAL proof McTavish told the Petes not to draft him? I'm pretty sure it was nothing but speculation and he signed and happily played here so trying to troll with that is just straight up stupid.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
CHL import draft in 15 days…..tick tock
Petes with 17th overall pick but no Russians or Belorussians can be selected. Still no word on Zanetti’s plans to return or not. I’m guessing that Zanetti returns and the Petes select the highest impact forward available that agrees to come.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Mason McTavish never said he would not report to the Petes if they drafted him. He was not sure if he was going to play in the OHL and was considering playing in Switzerland. In my opinion the fact that he was drafted by the same OHL team his Dad played for was a factor that lead to him to make a decision to play in the OHL.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Petes in fact did get the picks listed. In the initial Will Cuylle trade they received 3, 2nds, 3, 3rds and a 5th. Because he was defected player they received a compensatory 1st (Mason McTavish) and 2nd. In the Mason McTavish deal they received Jonathan Melee, Alex Pharland, 2, 2nds, 3, 3rds and a conditional 4th. They flipped Pharland, the 2nds and 3rds for Chase Stillman. So for Will Cuylle they received over a season of McTavish, Melee, Stillman 3, 2nds, 3, 3rds, a 5th (many of these picks likely were used in later trades) and the conditional 4th. So Dirty 12 is correct in his statement.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Congratulations to Chase Stillman for being invited to Team Canada’s summer camp

Congratulations to Nick Lardis for being invited to the U18 Hockey Canada camp

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Import draft coming up… hoping for one of these two:

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Congratulations to Chase Stillman for being invited to Team Canada’s summer camp

Congratulations to Nick Lardis for being invited to the U18 Hockey Canada camp
Anyone else surprised that Avon was not selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad