Peterborough Petes 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Just curious..petes signed Leskovar last year but he saw limited action....will he make the jump next year?
McGrail (05) looked good on D Undersized in height but solid frame and great skater, head up, good passes out of zone, got shots from point through to net and picked up assist in scrimmage 1. Might be option in another year when some current D age out.

Runco on D looked decent as well. Not flashy,plays the body, battles hard, good outlets out of zone, doesnt mind the rough going. Worth a longer look at main camp
I think both players are in tough unless they have big summers… I’ve heard Marko Stojkov (2004) dual citizen who’s been playing in Sweden could be an option.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
So many great prospects......I know some teams are having their development camp in August, prior to main camp, but it was probably important for the Petes to get a look at these guys now to help formulate a plan for the import draft and OAs to target.

I guess we'll have a better sense when players show up for training camp. Any players hoping to be in the Petes lineup next season will want to be working hard this off-season because this will be a very competitive camp.

Dates to look forward to: (some of these are estimated, if not confirmed)
  • CHL import draft – July 1st​
  • NHL draft – July 7th and 8th (Tucker Robertson, Samuel Mayer, Sam Alfano)​
  • Trade window opens – August 1st​
  • Petes’ training camp -August 29th​
  • League play starts – September 22nd​
  • Trade deadline – January 10th​
  • Playoffs begin – March 23rd​
  • Memorial cup – May 19th (hosted by WHL)​

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
- Yes, for Diaco. DeZoete is from Hamilton and will be in a battle for icetime once again.
- Start with 2 then plug a hole at deadline
- Mayer/McCoy, Smith/Zanetti, Spearing/Guo (Guryev traded for picks)
- Simpson, Micelli/Sztuska, Rye(U18)

Armchair GM is fun :laugh:

how does a 2nd round pick go from being great to being traded? thats a tough pick to just move on from

Just curious..petes signed Leskovar last year but he saw limited action....will he make the jump next year?
McGrail (05) looked good on D Undersized in height but solid frame and great skater, head up, good passes out of zone, got shots from point through to net and picked up assist in scrimmage 1. Might be option in another year when some current D age out.

Runco on D looked decent as well. Not flashy,plays the body, battles hard, good outlets out of zone, doesnt mind the rough going. Worth a longer look at main camp

petes sign everyone, wouldnt put alot of stock into that being a reason a guy like leskovar makes it, wasnt he cut from Jr A?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
how does a 2nd round pick go from being great to being traded? thats a tough pick to just move on from

petes sign everyone, wouldnt put alot of stock into that being a reason a guy like leskovar makes it, wasnt he cut from Jr A?
Dezoete isn't a bad player. He's just in a situation with the Petes where he is further down the depth chart than he would be on most other teams.
Compared to Dezoete (RW with 23pts), Lardis is a RW who had 37 pts as an 05, and Alfano (RW with 25pts) is more physical and was rated by NHL Central Scouting. Jonathan Melee had only 18pts but plays center and the Petes love guys who can play centre.
I expect that the Petes will add an import to the forward group as well as at least one OA, so when things shake down at the start of next season, there is a chance that Dezoete is on the 4th line. He won't be happy there and shouldn't be; he deserves a chance to play middle 6 on another team. Hamilton makes sense because that is home and they will be a younger team with more opportunities after their strong season this year. Oke won't give him away - he should bring back good value as an 04 who was draft 35th overall in 2020.

As far as Leskovar goes, he was a good signing at the time. Spearing, the Petes most experienced Dman (81gp) was out with an injury. Guryev (14gp) and Kavanagh (8gp) were the only other "experienced" guys on the back end. The Petes couldn't be sure how well Konnor Smith (04) and Guo (05) were going to adjust to the speed and size of the OHL. IMO, it was smart to sign Leskovar as an extra D just in case.

Once players get drafted or even signed they can't stop working hard to develop and get better. Players develop at different rates and some plateau while others take a big jump.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Dezoete isn't a bad player. He's just in a situation with the Petes where he is further down the depth chart than he would be on most other teams.
Compared to Dezoete (RW with 23pts), Lardis is a RW who had 37 pts as an 05, and Alfano (RW with 25pts) is more physical and was rated by NHL Central Scouting. Jonathan Melee had only 18pts but plays center and the Petes love guys who can play centre.
I expect that the Petes will add an import to the forward group as well as at least one OA, so when things shake down at the start of next season, there is a chance that Dezoete is on the 4th line. He won't be happy there and shouldn't be; he deserves a chance to play middle 6 on another team. Hamilton makes sense because that is home and they will be a younger team with more opportunities after their strong season this year. Oke won't give him away - he should bring back good value as an 04 who was draft 35th overall in 2020.

As far as Leskovar goes, he was a good signing at the time. Spearing, the Petes most experienced Dman (81gp) was out with an injury. Guryev (14gp) and Kavanagh (8gp) were the only other "experienced" guys on the back end. The Petes couldn't be sure how well Konnor Smith (04) and Guo (05) were going to adjust to the speed and size of the OHL. IMO, it was smart to sign Leskovar as an extra D just in case.

Once players get drafted or even signed they can't stop working hard to develop and get better. Players develop at different rates and some plateau while others take a big jump.
if your constantly moving away from 2nd and 3rd round picks, ie lewis and dezoete, then are they good picks?

ive never looked but i bet Peterborough has the highest amount of players signed in the ohl, london may be the only other team and they have had more success. whats the rush to sign a cole patey or a leskovar? i dont always love what windsor does but they always have local kids who they call up in a rush, maybe that was the plan with leskovar but i understand both him and patey where bad in lindsay and lindsay isnt even a great team.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
If you call up a 'local kid' you still have to sign him. Every team has a limit of player cards to use, lets say around 28. Most use them all each year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If you call up a 'local kid' you still have to sign him. Every team has a limit of player cards to use, lets say around 28. Most use them all each year.
You can bring kids up on a "B" card up to 9 games. Once they play their 10th game you have to sign then to an "A" card. You only have 30 of those. Local kids or playing elsewhere that are signed to a "B" card can be used all season as long as amount of games is under 10. You will see different kids used to spread out the card usage. Also during WJT games don't count so teams can cover kids away at the world's.

Edit - not very good at explaining this but what I meant is after they have played 10 games they can't play anymore until they sign so 9 no issue, 10 is the last game before they have to sign and 11th game they must be signed to an "A" card. Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Is there a link or something that explains all these rules ?
Are they on the OHL website?
I would like to read up and learn just for my general knowledge-

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

you dont actually have too, its like the emergancy backup, they are not signed, but i would think that in this case the spits have. but its one kid they call up over 3 years, vs signing a kid, cutting him and then signing another kid.

for call ups then can be on a 'b' card until they play 9 games, then you have to put him on an 'a' card. you have 30 a cards, but unlimited 'b' cards. sztuska as an example probably on a 'b' card. another kid that was signed and now looks like wont get a shot?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Sounds like captain Shawn Spearing may not be returning next season….
I think Spearing will return.
They may upgrade with a better OA later on but he is a solid leader, great teammate and one of the best shot blockers in the league.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Spearing has had some bad luck and terrible family tragedy, but as a hockey player he is not very good. He can block shots, but I think we need a defenseman, let alone a captain that can play. If you can't play, you can't command a room.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It would be wrong to cut Spearing loose now though. He will understand that he’s in tough next season. Whether he stays or is traded hopefully he works hard this summer and arrives at camp in August strong and healthy so that he is valuable either way.
If another team has young Dmen who need to learn how to play tough in the OHL and sacrifice your body blocking shots then Spearing would be a great acquisition.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Spearing has had some bad luck and terrible family tragedy, but as a hockey player he is not very good. He can block shots, but I think we need a defenseman, let alone a captain that can play. If you can't play, you can't command a room.
He'll be similar to Kammerer in Hamilton. Kammerer is prolly the worst defenceman on that team, but hes their captain and plays every night cuz hes a leader

Reactions: Bra Wavers

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Pererborough Petes alumnus and Detroit Red Wings color analyst for 35 years, Mickey Redmond was color analyst for the Flint Firebirds tonight in game #3 of the Western Conference Finals vs Windsor (a 6-3 Flint win) and will also do the same for Flint on Friday. We love him here in Michigan. Just thought you might find this interesting.

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
has he shown he can play?
other than block shots?
The value of Dmen can't always be measured by goals and assists.
Spearing was captain of his Jr. Canadians MM team that won the OHL Cup, but he only scored 19 pts in 58 games. He was a 4th round pick by the Petes (75th overall).
He has been a plus player all 3 seasons he has played but his game totals are low (37, 45, 26).
Injuries have been the biggest issue for Spearing.

Has he shown he can play?........yes, but the sample size is small - we just haven't seen him at 100%, as a veteran, for a significant number of games

It's hard to know what the upcoming season holds for Spearing. There are many factors
- can he show up at 100% and stay healthy?
- can he be a shut-down Dman who is a minutes eater and a great leader?
- what will the rest of Dmen look like at training camp?
They are deep, which may affect Spearing's situation.
Mayer
McCoy
Zanetti
Smith
Guryev
Guo
Leskovar

Whether he ends up playing for the Petes this season or not, I hope that Spearing is healthy and has a solid OA season in the OHL.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I hope the best for the young man. Forget about his injuries in the game, he has dealt with a tragedy that I hope he will only feel better as time goes on.

Reactions: Zebra

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The value of Dmen can't always be measured by goals and assists.
Spearing was captain of his Jr. Canadians MM team that won the OHL Cup, but he only scored 19 pts in 58 games. He was a 4th round pick by the Petes (75th overall).
He has been a plus player all 3 seasons he has played but his game totals are low (37, 45, 26).
Injuries have been the biggest issue for Spearing.

Has he shown he can play?........yes, but the sample size is small - we just haven't seen him at 100%, as a veteran, for a significant number of games

It's hard to know what the upcoming season holds for Spearing. There are many factors
- can he show up at 100% and stay healthy?
- can he be a shut-down Dman who is a minutes eater and a great leader?
- what will the rest of Dmen look like at training camp?
They are deep, which may affect Spearing's situation.
Mayer
McCoy
Zanetti
Smith
Guryev
Guo
Leskovar

Whether he ends up playing for the Petes this season or not, I hope that Spearing is healthy and has a solid OA season in the OHL.
I'm torn with what to do with Spearing. On the one hand it makes sense to to keep him for his experience and leadership but it really has to come down to his health. He is more than a guy who blocks shots though. He plays tight in his own end and if he is 100% he is a steady force back there as he was as a sophomore. On the other hand I am inclined to give the other guys more icetime, even Leskovar. I am also interested in keeping Guryev but only if they can get in his head and coach him out of taking so many penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad