Peterborough Petes 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
They had to, needed players to fill spots due to covid and delays. Most teams did. Only one with slight chance is Page (only one played well in playoffs and made an impact).

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Recap of the teams U18 picks -

I like what I’ve found on Faulkner…

- One of the youngest players in the league. Few days away from being eligible for ‘06 draft

- Led his league and team in scoring. Closest in his team was 13 points behind

- Growth spurt after his draft year led to big increase in scoring

- Played for Strathroy (GOJHL) in the playoffs and got 3 points in 4 games

- Started his season off slow with 2 points in 9 games and then finished with 37 points in 24 games

Reactions: flamebird

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Petes had a real strong draft in U18. Quizi is another kid who had a big growth spurt and was arguably the best goalie in the GTHL. Bowmaster is a highly skilled physical winger who played on a strong Oshawa team. I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 eventually play, hats off to the scouts

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I thought the Petes already had too many players and too few spots? How are you going to make room for 3 more?

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
I thought the Petes already had too many players and too few spots? How are you going to make room for 3 more?
I didn't necessarily say they had to play right away. Could be options in a year or if trades/injuries happen. Never a bad thing to have an overload of good talent in the organization

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I didn't necessarily say they had to play right away. Could be options in a year or if trades/injuries happen. Never a bad thing to have an overload of good talent in the organization
i think the history of this draft suggests that there is no way all three make it, 1 is even lucky.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This would be there year though, as a lot of these kids didn't have anywhere to play in their U16 year or weren't scouted properly if they did.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Sorry for the length of this post but there is some good info here.

1652325151772.png

The Petes, with the 17th overall pick, should be targeting a top end forward in the CHL import draft. Ideally a player that can play LW in the top six. Above is a list of possible targets that fit that description. These players are all eligible for the upcoming NHL draft. It’s possible they reach for a top 2005 player who is expected to go high in the 2023 NHL draft and is interested in playing in the CHL now (like Marco Rossi and Jan Mysak). No Russians or Belorussians so that cuts down the options significantly. I also left out most Swedes because it is rare for them to play as imports in the CHL. After discussions with agents, Oke will be aware of which players are willing to report. A number of these players are already signed to play in Europe next season so the cost to get these guys will be a factor.

I really like Jani Nyman but here is a scouting report on each player listed. I've included where most experts project them to be drafted which isn't necessarily in sync with NHL central scouting rankings.

Marco Kasper (mid 1st rd) has everything that you want in a power forward. The grit, the decision making and the speed. Kasper has the potential to be a top-six forward in the NHL and his grit will intrigue plenty of teams. If an NHL team is looking to obtain a well-rounded power forward who can be annoying in high danger situations with his reach, Kasper is the guy. (Coach Andrew Verner played 5 years in Austria…….maybe he has some connections?) Kasper also played in international tournaments with former Petes’ Dman David Maier so a recommendation is a possibility.

Jiri Kulich (bottom half 1st rd) is a goal-scoring winger who relies on his high-level shot to make an impact on the game in the offensive zone. He’s a lethal shooter when he gets the puck in open space. He has the quick release, pinpoint accuracy, and power behind his shot that will give goalies at any level fits. His IQ and shot combination are particularly effective when on the power play.

Jani Nyman (2nd rd), a 6 '3, 200lbs winger, plays a power game offensively, consistently looking to attack the offensive zone using his combination of size and skill to drive the slot. He is another late bloomer physically, but his skating has already improved to the point where he may be most effective in transition. A talented goal scorer, Nyman will be attractive to teams looking for a budding skilled winger with size.

Sandis Vilmanis (6th rd) is a skilled leftwing with many offensive tools in his toolbox. Vilmanis is a combination between a lethal sniper/playmaker and a hard-working power forward. The compete level of this young guy is very high, never quits on a play and can also throw his body into a hit on the forecheck. Has fluid skating with energetic and powerful first steps, but it is his handling with the puck at speed that makes him so dangerous.

Adam Sykora (2nd rd) - his straight line speed makes him dangerous and is of great value when staying aligned with both puck carrying teammates and puck carrying attackers. If he can build up his strength for both slot presence and tight puck battles, he will be a pain to deal with. In addition, if he can fine tune his shot mechanics and work on identifying the best passing options in all three zones, his production will go up. His straight line speed makes him dangerous and is of great value when staying aligned with both puck carrying teammates and puck carrying attackers. If he can build up his strength for both slot presence and tight puck battles, he will be a pain to deal with. In addition, if he can fine tune his shot and work on identifying the best passing options in all three zones, his production will go up.

Ludwig Persson (2nd rd) is a very strong skater — perhaps one of the best in the class — he uses excellent acceleration and utilizes crossovers to blow past opponents often. He’s agile, elusive, and handles the puck well, a dangerous combination.

Santeri Sulku (6th rd) is a tall and skilled forward with a wide range of offensive tools. He has a hard and accurate wrist shot and was willing to take pucks on net, even from sharp angles. He read the game well without the puck, moved into open space and had consistently his stick prepared to receive passes in the neutral zone. His speed was good and he could skate past opponents with relative ease from time to time.

Attachments

• 1652282006932.png
    1652282006932.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: Zebra

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just FYI - Lutz was drafted last year by the Greyhounds in the CHL Import draft, so they would have to waive their rights to him.

Also, Persson is a 2003. Not sure if that would fit as well in your window?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sorry for the length of this post but there is some good info here.

View attachment 544542

The Petes, with the 17th overall pick, should be targeting a top end forward in the CHL import draft. Ideally a player that can play LW in the top six. Above is a list of possible targets that fit that description. These players are all eligible for the upcoming NHL draft. It’s possible they reach for a top 2005 player who is expected to go high in the 2023 NHL draft and is interested in playing in the CHL now (like Marco Rossi and Jan Mysak). No Russians or Belorussians so that cuts down the options significantly. I also left out most Swedes because it is rare for them to play as imports in the CHL. After discussions with agents, Oke will be aware of which players are willing to report. A number of these players are already signed to play in Europe next season so the cost to get these guys will be a factor.

I really like Jani Nyman and Julian Lutz but here is a scouting report on each player listed. I've included where most experts project them to be drafted which isn't necessarily in sync with NHL central scouting rankings.

Marco Kasper (mid 1st rd) has everything that you want in a power forward. The grit, the decision making and the speed. Kasper has the potential to be a top-six forward in the NHL and his grit will intrigue plenty of teams. If an NHL team is looking to obtain a well-rounded power forward who can be annoying in high danger situations with his reach, Kasper is the guy. (Coach Andrew Verner played 5 years in Austria…….maybe he has some connections?) Kasper also played in international tournaments with former Petes’ Dman David Maier so a recommendation is a possibility.

Jiri Kulich (bottom half 1st rd) is a goal-scoring winger who relies on his high-level shot to make an impact on the game in the offensive zone. He’s a lethal shooter when he gets the puck in open space. He has the quick release, pinpoint accuracy, and power behind his shot that will give goalies at any level fits. His IQ and shot combination are particularly effective when on the power play.

Jani Nyman (2nd rd), a 6 '3, 200lbs winger, plays a power game offensively, consistently looking to attack the offensive zone using his combination of size and skill to drive the slot. He is another late bloomer physically, but his skating has already improved to the point where he may be most effective in transition. A talented goal scorer, Nyman will be attractive to teams looking for a budding skilled winger with size.

Julian Lutz (5th rd) missed most of this season with an injury but returned in time to play the last 14 games. He is an excellent forechecker and is more than happy to get into his opponent’s face, using his long reach to force a turnover. Thanks to his speed and agility, he can play at a high pace and apply pressure in all three zones, making him a headache to play against. Yet, he’s not reckless with his aggression, and instead takes the time to find the best chances to try and break up a play or throw a hit. Lutz is much more than an aggressive forward, though. He possesses plenty of offensive skill, and thanks to his intelligence and speed, he’s able to keep his head up and quickly sneak around opponents who try to push him off the puck. His stickhandling is good, albeit not great, and the same can be said for his shot, but both are more than good enough to make him a valuable forward. (Coach Andrew Verner played 4 years in the same DEL league where Lutz is playing…….maybe he has some connections?)

Sandis Vilmanis (6th rd) is a skilled leftwing with many offensive tools in his toolbox. Vilmanis is a combination between a lethal sniper/playmaker and a hard-working power forward. The compete level of this young guy is very high, never quits on a play and can also throw his body into a hit on the forecheck. Has fluid skating with energetic and powerful first steps, but it is his handling with the puck at speed that makes him so dangerous.

Adam Sykora (2nd rd) - his straight line speed makes him dangerous and is of great value when staying aligned with both puck carrying teammates and puck carrying attackers. If he can build up his strength for both slot presence and tight puck battles, he will be a pain to deal with. In addition, if he can fine tune his shot mechanics and work on identifying the best passing options in all three zones, his production will go up. His straight line speed makes him dangerous and is of great value when staying aligned with both puck carrying teammates and puck carrying attackers. If he can build up his strength for both slot presence and tight puck battles, he will be a pain to deal with. In addition, if he can fine tune his shot and work on identifying the best passing options in all three zones, his production will go up.

Ludwig Persson (2nd rd) is a very strong skater — perhaps one of the best in the class — he uses excellent acceleration and utilizes crossovers to blow past opponents often. He’s agile, elusive, and handles the puck well, a dangerous combination.

Santeri Sulku (6th rd) is a tall and skilled forward with a wide range of offensive tools. He has a hard and accurate wrist shot and was willing to take pucks on net, even from sharp angles. He read the game well without the puck, moved into open space and had consistently his stick prepared to receive passes in the neutral zone. His speed was good and he could skate past opponents with relative ease from time to time.
Vilmanis or Nyman would be awesome.

Diaco(trade)-Robertson-Stillman
Nyman(import)-Avon-Lardis
Van Volsen-Dubois-Alfano
Melee-Page-Lewis
McCallum, McCue, Faulkner

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Just FYI - Lutz was drafted last year by the Greyhounds in the CHL Import draft, so they would have to waive their rights to him.

Also, Persson is a 2003. Not sure if that would fit as well in your window?
Oops.....my mistake but I still like Lutz. Hopefully he plays for the Soo and can bounce back from his injuries. I know that Persson is a 2003 but with the Petes icing a lineup with eight or nine 03s, this is the season where the window is opened the widest. IMO Oke has to hit a homerun with his import pick.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Vilmanis or Nyman would be awesome.

Diaco(trade)-Robertson-Stillman
Nyman(import)-Avon-Lardis
Van Volsen-Dubois-Alfano
Melee-Page-Lewis
McCallum, McCue, Faulkner
I like your thinking, just a few questions.
These questions aren't really fair to ask at this point but here goes......

Does Dezoete get traded?
OAs would be Diaco, Spearing and ?
What do the D pairings look like?
What's the plan in goal? Simpson + ?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I like your thinking, just a few questions.
These questions aren't really fair to ask at this point but here goes......

Does Dezoete get traded?
OAs would be Diaco, Spearing and ?
What do the D pairings look like?
What's the plan in goal? Simpson + ?
- Yes, for Diaco. DeZoete is from Hamilton and will be in a battle for icetime once again.
- Start with 2 then plug a hole at deadline
- Mayer/McCoy, Smith/Zanetti, Spearing/Guo (Guryev traded for picks)
- Simpson, Micelli/Sztuska, Rye(U18)

Armchair GM is fun :laugh:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
- Yes, for Diaco. DeZoete is from Hamilton and will be in a battle for icetime once again.
- Start with 2 then plug a hole at deadline
- Mayer/McCoy, Smith/Zanetti, Spearing/Guo (Guryev traded for picks)
- Simpson, Micelli/Sztuska, Rye(U18)

Armchair GM is fun :laugh:
Simpson is your #1 goalie over taking an NHL draft import goalie? That's where I'd be going with the import draft pick

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Simpson is your #1 goalie over taking an NHL draft import goalie? That's where I'd be going with the import draft pick
IMO for Simpson’s goalie partner the Petes will go with an OA goalie or an Import.

Here are the top 5 ranked international goalies (no Russians or Belarusians) for the upcoming NHL draft. I don’t know enough about these international teams/leagues to know which goalies will be open to joining an OHL team next season but here are some options

1652457056622.png

Reactions: three dog night

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sounds like captain Shawn Spearing may not be returning next season….

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Is everything okay with Spearing?
He has had such a rough run -I hope things are good with the lad.
He is a good egg

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
After listing the options for an import goalie, I thought it would be worth a look at the OA options. There are 16 goalies presently rostered who are potential OAs. Some of these will move on to play minor pro while others will leave the OHL and go to school. At this point it’s hard to speculate but here is a list of 5 targets that IMO the Petes should take a look at to share the crease with Simpson:

Marco Constantini (HAM) – 1st in SV% this year and 1st in GAA playing for strong Hamilton squad – will be available with the emergence of Donoso

Joe Ranger (MISS) – 3rd in SV% this year and 2nd in GAA– of course if Hardie returns and Missy would rather trade him to the Petes, I’m sure Oke would be OK with that!

Joe Vrbetic (NB) – 9th in SV% this year and 9th in GAA – will be available with the emergence of DiVincentiis

Brett Brochu (LDN) – 4th in SV% and 7th in GAA, suffered ankle injury in early March but definitely a top OA target

Tristan Lennox (SAG) – 22nd in SV% and 14th in GAA, hampered by injuries and played only 28 games. He is a NYI draft pick but after his struggles and lack of games this season, they may decide the OHL is his best option.

Reactions: Zebra

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
After listing the options for an import goalie, I thought it would be worth a look at the OA options. There are 16 goalies presently rostered who are potential OAs. Some of these will move on to play minor pro while others will leave the OHL and go to school. At this point it’s hard to speculate but here is a list of 5 targets that IMO the Petes should take a look at to share the crease with Simpson:

Marco Constantini (HAM) – 1st in SV% this year and 1st in GAA playing for strong Hamilton squad – will be available with the emergence of Donoso

Joe Ranger (MISS) – 3rd in SV% this year and 2nd in GAA– of course if Hardie returns and Missy would rather trade him to the Petes, I’m sure Oke would be OK with that!

Joe Vrbetic (NB) – 9th in SV% this year and 9th in GAA – will be available with the emergence of DiVincentiis

Brett Brochu (LDN) – 4th in SV% and 7th in GAA, suffered ankle injury in early March but definitely a top OA target

Tristan Lennox (SAG) – 22nd in SV% and 14th in GAA, hampered by injuries and played only 28 games. He is a NYI draft pick but after his struggles and lack of games this season, they may decide the OHL is his best option.
MISS will be better next year than they were this year and Ranger will be their #1, hes not available. And Brochu is the LDN Knights, they wont move him. The other 3 all likely available, if Lennox gets sent back

Reactions: dirty12

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Checked out the scrimmages today… players that stood out to me (not including the returning players)

- Jack Van Volsen: Solid all around player with a good shot. Should be able to play top 9 right away next season.

- Braydon McCallum: Smaller gritty forward with some skill. Played with Lardis and finished with two goals. Should make the team as the 13/14th forward.

- Brennan Faulkner: Easy to see why they took this kid in u18. Very good skater and has skill too. Played on a line with Lewis and Page and that line created chances every time they were out. He fit right in. I’d sign him. Needs to put on some weight.

- Easton Rye: Looked solid and should play in the league. Sign and place with U18 Petes to be the starter?

- Xander Miceli: Big goalie who played very well. I think he was the best goalie at camp. Could he play his way into the backup role behind Simpson?

- Nicolas Petrut: Super small forward but very skilled. If he grows at all he’s going to be a player. I’d sign him and place him with U18 Petes. Maybe AP and get in some games with Muskies as well.

- Wolf Giles: The most impressive free agent in my mind was this kid. Big lad with soft hands, likes to play physical. Will likely make a great Jr.A player. Hope to see him back for main camp.

Last edited:

Petes2win1soon

Aug 4, 2020
Checked out the scrimmages today… players that stood out to me (not including the returning players)

- Jack Van Volsen: Solid all around player with a good shot. Should be able to play top 9 right away next season.

- Braydon McCallum: Smaller gritty forward with some skill. Played with Lardis and finished with two goals. Should make the team as the 13/14th forward.

- Brennan Faulkner: Easy to see why they took this kid in u18. Very good skater and has skill too. Played on a line with Lewis and Page and that line created chances every time they were out. He fit right in. I’d sign him. Needs to put on some weight.

- Easton Rye: Looked solid and should play in the league. Sign and place with U18 Petes to be the starter?

- Xander Miceli: Big goalie who played very well. I think he was the best goalie at camp. Could he play his way into the backup role behind Simpson?

- Nicolas Petrut: Super small forward but very skilled. If he grows at all he’s going to be a player. I’d sign him and place him with U18 Petes. Maybe AP and get in some games with Muskies as well.

- Wolf Giles: The most impressive free agent in my mind was this kid. Big lad with soft hands, likes to play physical. Will likely make a great Jr.A player. Hope to see him back for main camp.
Just curious..petes signed Leskovar last year but he saw limited action....will he make the jump next year?
McGrail (05) looked good on D Undersized in height but solid frame and great skater, head up, good passes out of zone, got shots from point through to net and picked up assist in scrimmage 1. Might be option in another year when some current D age out.

Runco on D looked decent as well. Not flashy,plays the body, battles hard, good outlets out of zone, doesnt mind the rough going. Worth a longer look at main camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad