Peterborough Petes 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Plus he looks like a 30 year old out there. He can bully players along the boards, and punish defensemen on the forecheck.

He will be coveted at the deadline as well...........he is built for the playoffs - great at face-offs, tough to play against at both ends.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
He will be coveted at the deadline as well...........he is built for the playoffs - great at face-offs, tough to play against at both ends.

Are you expecting a big point jump from him next season?

Without one that sees him getting 65+ points, I don't see him being highly coveted come deadline because of the OA tag. If he were 19 instead of 20 then yea, but it's tough to have a 3rd liner use an OA tag on a good team who's trying to win it all. 0.45 points per game in his Petes career. Would need to see that jump quite a bit in order to get more than a 4th/5th for him. Although just put him with Nick Robertson and watch the assists start to fly... lol

Kirk would probably be the more coveted OA forward, although the import tag would limit the number of teams that could take him on

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
It would be real sad to see him traded. He’s such a solid all round player. He just needs to finish his chances more often.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Are you expecting a big point jump from him next season?

Without one that sees him getting 65+ points, I don't see him being highly coveted come deadline because of the OA tag. If he were 19 instead of 20 then yea, but it's tough to have a 3rd liner use an OA tag on a good team who's trying to win it all. 0.45 points per game in his Petes career. Would need to see that jump quite a bit in order to get more than a 4th/5th for him. Although just put him with Nick Robertson and watch the assists start to fly... lol

Kirk would probably be the more coveted OA forward, although the import tag would limit the number of teams that could take him on

He's like Daniel Walker except he can play the sport of hockey.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
He's like Daniel Walker except he can play the sport of hockey.

That's actually a pretty decent comparison. Grondin puts up more points than Walker did, but not much more. Both big guys who brings a lot of physicality and defensive zone play and not much else, which was my point... Those guys don't get traded for 2nds and 3rd, they get traded to teams who aren't going all-in for 5ths and 6ths because on good teams they're 3rd or 4th liners and you fill your bottom 6 with 19 year old non-OAs if you can. I know you see "Gens" and immediately see red have to try to think of something funny/argumentative to say, but I was just asking your fellow poster if he sees a big point increase coming from Grondin to result in him being worth a high pick. Not everything needs to be a fight :)

I would think keeping him to add stability and defensive support would be more worth it for the Petes than trading him for a 5th. Kirk probably the offensive guy teams would target as an OA, if they have an open import slot. But you guys are the Petes experts, just another junior hockey fans 2 cents

Last edited:

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
That's actually a pretty decent comparison. Grondin puts up more points than Walker did, but not much more. Both big guys who brings a lot of physicality and defensive zone play and not much else, which was my point... Those guys don't get traded for 2nds and 3rd, they get traded to teams who aren't going all-in for 5ths and 6ths because on good teams they're 3rd or 4th liners and you fill your bottom 6 with 19 year old non-OAs if you can. I know you see "Gens" and immediately have to try to think of something funny/argumentative to say, but I was just asking your fellow poster if he sees a big point increase coming from Grondin to result in him being worth a high pick

If a team wants to win the Memorial Cup, then using an OA spot on Max Grondin would be a big mistake. He's going to be the perfect OA for us because we need a solider and heavyweight to lead the 03s and 04s we have packed into the lineup next year, a year we have no chance to win.

He's a warrior but your OAs should be your most dynamic players. I think we saw using OAs for foundation players like Peterborough did this year, and using OAs for dynamic player like Ottawa did this year, and I would prefer the way Ottawa used them. Guys that score at will versus guys that play sound, safe hockey.

Reactions: Petes1

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If a team wants to win the Memorial Cup, then using an OA spot on Max Grondin would be a big mistake. He's going to be the perfect OA for us because we need a solider and heavyweight to lead the 03s and 04s we have packed into the lineup next year, a year we have no chance to win.

He's a warrior but your OAs should be your most dynamic players. I think we saw using OAs for foundation players like Peterborough did this year, and using OAs for dynamic player like Ottawa did this year, and I would prefer the way Ottawa used them. Guys that score at will versus guys that play sound, safe hockey.

Yeah I agree with that 100%. (I edited my last post to basically say that but you were already responding I guess). Grondin seems like the type of guy who will lead the younger players and teach them how to do things right

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
That's actually a pretty decent comparison. Grondin puts up more points than Walker did, but not much more. Both big guys who brings a lot of physicality and defensive zone play and not much else, which was my point... Those guys don't get traded for 2nds and 3rd, they get traded to teams who aren't going all-in for 5ths and 6ths because on good teams they're 3rd or 4th liners and you fill your bottom 6 with 19 year old non-OAs if you can. I know you see "Gens" and immediately see red have to try to think of something funny/argumentative to say, but I was just asking your fellow poster if he sees a big point increase coming from Grondin to result in him being worth a high pick. Not everything needs to be a fight :)

I would think keeping him to add stability and defensive support would be more worth it for the Petes than trading him for a 5th. Kirk probably the offensive guy teams would target as an OA, if they have an open import slot. But you guys are the Petes experts, just another junior hockey fans 2 cents
He never got the chance to play with any quality players until they broke up SDA/Thomas/Robertson. He was a lot more effective once he got paired with SDA and Robertson but even then his role was making space for those two to do their magic. He has he speed and he does create chances he just hasn’t finished well. In the right situation I could see a point increase.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I think we're gonna see some signings from our draft soon. I believe the brass got together today and had some meetings with some of the draft picks.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think we're gonna see some signings from our draft soon. I believe the brass got together today and had some meetings with some of the draft picks.

Oke said they planned on having virtual meetings this with all draft picks to introduce the staff to the players and give them an offseason training program. Pretty sure it was an interview on Extra 90.5 he mentioned this...

So this might not be indicative of signings coming soon but I hope they do get done. I would like to see the top 4 selections all signed right away and then probably Walters at camp depending on performance.

North light 14

Nov 6, 2018
Organization depth chart assuming the guys that are supposed to graduate do.... am I missing anybody?

Left Wing
Nick Robertson 01
Keegan McMullen 02
Riley Wood 03
Justin DeZoete 04
Carson Walters 04

Centre
Mason McTavish 03
Max Grondin 00
J.R Avon 03
Ellis Rickwood 02
Luc Reeve 02
Ryan Gagner 04
Eli Sebastian 04
Will Lewis 04
Chase Lefebvre 04

Right Wing
Brady Hinz 00
Tucker Robertson 03
Cole Patey 03
Sam Alfano 04
Ryan Cutler 03
Jax Dubois 03
Cory Jewitt 04

Defence
Shawn Spearing 02
Jack York 00
Artem Guryev 03
Josh Kavanagh 03
Donovan McCoy 04
Judd Katz 03
Nico Paone 03
Shawn Ramsey 04
Stevie Leskovar 04
Konnor Smith 04

Goalies
Tye Austin 02
Michael Simpson 03
Kyle Curtin 01
Liam Sztuska 04
Mikael Kingo 04
JPJ?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Foster gets the boot in Kingston after doing what I thought was a pretty good job considering what he had to work with and how their season started. Would be nice to bring him back to run the D going forward ( not that it will actually happen).

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
London has already signed their top-5 selections from the last draft. What are you waiting for Oke?? Announce Alfano and DeZoete

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Foster gets the boot in Kingston after doing what I thought was a pretty good job considering what he had to work with and how their season started. Would be nice to bring him back to run the D going forward ( not that it will actually happen).
There is a spot behind the Gen's beanch as Nathan Mclver assistant coach contract was not re-newed , Just saying :sarcasm:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
There is a spot behind the Gen's beanch as Nathan Mclver assistant coach contract was not re-newed , Just saying :sarcasm:

Please tell me what this means in the press release...

“The decision comes in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, as effects from the virus implications have required restructuring by the organization.“

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Please tell me what this means in the press release...

“The decision comes in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, as effects from the virus implications have required restructuring by the organization.“
I imagine this will happen in a few places with next season in the air. Owners won’t want to make a financial commitment when there’s a chance they won’t be able to draw any revenue.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
London has already signed their top-5 selections from the last draft. What are you waiting for Oke?? Announce Alfano and DeZoete
The good thing is Alfano has been doing videos for Petes social media pages but still would be nice to see official signings announced soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad