Peterborough Petes 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
just trade him to another team thats loading up to beat Oshawa is all is ask

I think between covid wiping out the season or him staying in the NHL, it's like 90-95% we never see Robertson in a Petes jersey again

But in that 5-10% he does come back, he could be the best player in the entire CHL

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Soo only had 1 player who was a PPG last year. The Soo have a lot of good players but dont have a #1 option. The type of guy who just goes out and gets you 2 big goals in a game when nothing is going right. You need that to win. They will go out and acquire one if their serious about next year.

O'Rourke could be that guy on the back end if he takes another step forward. Don't see any on the offensive end right now. No Canada/USA WJ calibre forwards. Pytlik is a good power forward but not elite and he's probably SSM best forward.
I agree with this assessment. We could really use a game breaker and Robertson is certainly that. I didn't disagree with the conclusion of your argument (Robertson to the Soo), more the premise of the argument (Soo's scoring is going to be inadequate this season).

Soo was 6th in the Western Conference in goals last year, in a conference with 10 teams, that is extremely underwhelming.
Last year was not our finest, no argument there. But when you look at how young the roster was and who is returning (the only skater not returning is Peca - our 10th best points-per-game), you can see how we are in a much better position this year just through internal development. Remember, this is junior hockey. Players take huge strides each year.

Look at the Pete's top 6 player's development over one year (measured by points per game):
Thomas 1.62 -> 1.71
Robertson 1.02 -> 1.86
Gallant 0.83 -> 1.10
Kirk 0.75 -> 1.06
SDA 0.74 -> 1.36
Chisholm 0.72 -> 1.17

Soo's top 9 is set up nicely for a similar step going into this year:
Trott 1.06
Kerins 0.92
Pytlik 0.89
Constantinou 0.88
Kartye 0.83
MacKay 0.80
Calisti 0.78
Carroll 0.77
O'Rourke 0.69

It worked for the Petes because we had an elite goalie. Malik has not shown that he's close to being that (.886 in 16 games).
Tough on a 17 year old to uproot mid season change countries, continents, languages, and be immediately thrust into a starters role. An adjustment period had to have been expected and in his first 12 games while he showed glimpses of brilliance and stretches of fine play, were too inconsistent. However, Soo fans will tell you after that it was noticeable how his confidence came back and in his final four starts he let in 13 goals on 166 shots (.922 save percentage). Malik is the Greyhound that suffered most from the early end to last season. With more starts last year, I am confident he would have been chosen in the NHL draft. I haven't talked to a single Soo fan that is concerned that Malik might not have what we need next season.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I agree with this assessment. We could really use a game breaker and Robertson is certainly that. I didn't disagree with the conclusion of your argument (Robertson to the Soo), more the premise of the argument (Soo's scoring is going to be inadequate this season).

Last year was not our finest, no argument there. But when you look at how young the roster was and who is returning (the only skater not returning is Peca - our 10th best points-per-game), you can see how we are in a much better position this year just through internal development. Remember, this is junior hockey. Players take huge strides each year.

Look at the Pete's top 6 player's development over one year (measured by points per game):
Thomas 1.62 -> 1.71
Robertson 1.02 -> 1.86
Gallant 0.83 -> 1.10
Kirk 0.75 -> 1.06
SDA 0.74 -> 1.36
Chisholm 0.72 -> 1.17

Soo's top 9 is set up nicely for a similar step going into this year:
Trott 1.06
Kerins 0.92
Pytlik 0.89
Constantinou 0.88
Kartye 0.83
MacKay 0.80
Calisti 0.78
Carroll 0.77
O'Rourke 0.69

Tough on a 17 year old to uproot mid season change countries, continents, languages, and be immediately thrust into a starters role. An adjustment period had to have been expected and in his first 12 games while he showed glimpses of brilliance and stretches of fine play, were too inconsistent. However, Soo fans will tell you after that it was noticeable how his confidence came back and in his final four starts he let in 13 goals on 166 shots (.922 save percentage). Malik is the Greyhound that suffered most from the early end to last season. With more starts last year, I am confident he would have been chosen in the NHL draft. I haven't talked to a single Soo fan that is concerned that Malik might not have what we need next season.

It's more that the Petes were able to able to have adequate scoring because Jones was elite nad I dont see Malik as elite. I watched a handful of SOO games and he does have high end athleticism but he constantly seemed out of position and sometimes he was able to overcome bad positioning with athleticism but I tihnk that's why he wasnt drafted. You can compensate positioning with athleticiism against teenagers but that doesnt work at the next level, hence him going undrafted. So to me, if SSM is going to win, they need elite scoring, not just adequate scoring. Petes were carried by goaltending. Soo will need to be carried in the playoffs by their scoring

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
the Petes have McTavish rated as an ‘A’ prospect and Guryev and Zanetti rated as ‘C’

I think Tucker Robertson deserves a ‘C’ rating.....18 points in 55 games playing mostly 4th line minutes and the kid played with sandpaper last year as a a 16yo. Very impressive in puck battles along the boards and no fear of going into the dirty areas.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
the Petes have McTavish rated as an ‘A’ prospect and Guryev and Zanetti rated as ‘C’

I think Tucker Robertson deserves a ‘C’ rating.....18 points in 55 games playing mostly 4th line minutes and the kid played with sandpaper last year as a a 16yo. Very impressive in puck battles along the boards and no fear of going into the dirty areas.

Yep, Tucker scored some nice goals last season as well. I think he will sneak onto those lists once the games start.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Early season bold prediction (although probably not as bold as Northern Voice saying Cam Butler will be a 1st rounder last year): T.Robertson is the 2nd highest drafted Pete after McTavish

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
So now it looks like a start date of Feb 4, 2021.
With a 40 game season-

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
So now it looks like a start date of Feb 4, 2021.
With a 40 game season-

Petes were in for a tough rebuilding season to begin with... now with mostly all divisional games, this season is going to be a mess for the maroon and white.... at-least if we are going to have a poor team, it’s this season.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I am puzzled as to why Mason MacTavish was not invited to Team Canada camp but Shane Wright and Jack Quinn were invited.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I am puzzled as to why Mason MacTavish was not invited to Team Canada camp but Shane Wright and Jack Quinn were invited.

Could be partly related to his rough second half. He was outstanding until the new year, then mostly invisible the last couple of months. Not unexpected for a rookie, but that would hurt your stock. While he looks like a really good player, I don't think he's yet one of the best forwards in the OHL/CHL. And at this point he's pretty strictly an offensive player (again, not unexpected for a rookie) and there are lots of better players than him at this point. If he gets to play at all this year, I could see an invite for next year.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I think next year will be McTavish's chance at the camp. He needs to be more consistent this year. He's got absolutely all the talent in the world, just need to put it together for the whole year

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think next year will be McTavish's chance at the camp. He needs to be more consistent this year. He's got absolutely all the talent in the world, just need to put it together for the whole year

next year he should get invited to camp if he actually goes around 10-15 overall like he’s projected right now. 2 years from now will be when he’s more likely to actually make the team though. That’ll be the 03 tournament

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Looks like Donovan McCoy is playing for Cobourg before the OHL season starts up.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I don’t even know where to go to post my condolences -but sending peace and love to the family of Larry Mavety.

As a life long Petes game attendee-I have spent many nights cheering against The Mav-may he Rest In Peace

Growing up, there were always 4 coaches in the OHL who immediately came to mind as quintessential "OHL" coaches: Dick Todd, Brian Kilrea, Bert Templeton and Mavety. Mavety always had tough teams that were fun to watch.

Reactions: Zebra

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
No Nick Robertson for USA at the World Juniors. Leafs want him in camp to get ready for the NHL season so they’re not releasing him for the tournament

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Since nothing is happening currently, are there any teams in the league you always like to see when they come to the Memorial Centre? For me, 3 stand out:

Sudbury (because I've always loved their logo and colours)
Oshawa (who doesn't like the rivalry?)
London (it's fun to hate them)

On the flip side, I always get a bit bored with Brampton/North Bay. I find their colours/logo ugly and the style a bit dull, so I never really look forward to those games. For a few years I was sick of Belleville coming in all the time, but now I miss them (no offence to Hamilton).

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Wonder what’s with Belleville?
They had a special place in my heart (for some unknown reason).
I miss them too!
They always seem to give a great game -I felt personally affronted when they just up a moved-can’t imagine how I’d feel if our Petes left town.

Actually I sort of feel like hockey has left town.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Wonder what’s with Belleville?
They had a special place in my heart (for some unknown reason).
I miss them too!
They always seem to give a great game -I felt personally affronted when they just up a moved-can’t imagine how I’d feel if our Petes left town.

Actually I sort of feel like hockey has left town.

Yeah, and it sure seems like there's no hope for this season happening. Hopefully, with the vaccines coming, we can get back to seeing games this time next year.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Hello all, I believe Petes european pick 17yr old Brian Zanetti is still on Switzerlands roster looking to get a spot.

They play Austria today 6pm on TSN 3/5 he is projected to be a 2021 NHL pick hopefully he plays this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad