Peterborough Petes 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
According to the Examiner, the OHL is aiming for a December 1 start. 64 games. Inter-conference only.

Should we start putting down bets on whether this will actually happen?
Unless they're extending the regular season into April/May, that's going to be an absolute sprint for the kids. Lots of hockey

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Exactly. I sure hope we can see OHL this season, but based on what has happened to MLB trying to play without a bubble (granted the US is in much, much worse shape) I don't see how they'll be able to pull off a season of any kind.
I think it's worth recognizing that the Marlins and Cardinals outbreaks have been because they broke protocols. It's obviously an unpopular opinion, but I think if the players are responsible they can avoid any issues

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I think it's worth recognizing that the Marlins and Cardinals outbreaks have been because they broke protocols. It's obviously an unpopular opinion, but I think if the players are responsible they can avoid any issues

Absolutely. But I don't think it's too realistic to expect these kids to avoid all interactions (school, parties, etc.), especially when they're not being paid and making a living from this. It's just not realistic. Of course, maybe we'll get lucky and things will be in good shape come December. I guess all we can do is wait and see. And hope.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Robbie scores his 1st NHL goal!!

Great career with the Petes, Nick....too short for most Petes’ fans, especially with this season being cut short before we could make a long playoff run.

Mar 12, 2009
Reactions: Finster8

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018

Does this come as a surprise? Seemed like most roster projections had him in the lineup

I expected him to be back as an OA, I guess not though. It also looks like McNamara won't be back next year either, so it seems the D will be very young and raw next year

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I expected him to be back as an OA, I guess not though. It also looks like McNamara won't be back next year either, so it seems the D will be very young and raw next year

Wonder if this changes the Petes stance on McNamara. Although maybe they think JPJ is a better D-man than McNamara anyways?

Tribec

Jun 20, 2004
The EIHL (British League) has been suspended for the upcoming season, so that gives you a better chance of picking up Liam Kirk as an OA for next season should you wish. Team GB will be wanting him to play some meaningful hockey before the World Championships in April.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Wonder if this changes the Petes stance on McNamara. Although maybe they think JPJ is a better D-man than McNamara anyways?
Could be the case, although I don't think JPJ is the better player, time will tell I guess. They'll get steamrolled by Oshawa this year anyway so it doesn't make a difference lol

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Could be the case, although I don't think JPJ is the better player, time will tell I guess. They'll get steamrolled by Oshawa this year anyway so it doesn't make a difference lol
pretty sure teams dont try to build based upon other teams loading up for a run. Macnamara will be an OA for now id say, goalie Jones may be back, Kirk may be back, Max Grondin alos could have Thomas and Chisholm as well for trades so stay tuned may not turn out as horrific this year

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
pretty sure teams dont try to build based upon other teams loading up for a run. Macnamara will be an OA for now id say, goalie Jones may be back, Kirk may be back, Max Grondin alos could have Thomas and Chisholm as well for trades so stay tuned may not turn out as horrific this year
Unless you get extremely lucky because of covid, none of Jones, Thomas or Chisholm will be back. They’re all signed to play pro hockey next year

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I hear you on that absolutely, I just don't realistically see most of them back. I'd expect Grondin, and Jones could be a longshot, but I believe the rest of them make the jump or take there services elsewhere.

Kind of a side note, isn't a player ineligible to return for an OA year if they've signed their ELC? I recall hearing something like that somewhere, and if it's the case then that would rule out Chisholm and Thomas

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I hear you on that absolutely, I just don't realistically see most of them back. I'd expect Grondin, and Jones could be a longshot, but I believe the rest of them make the jump or take there services elsewhere.

Kind of a side note, isn't a player ineligible to return for an OA year if they've signed their ELC? I recall hearing something like that somewhere, and if it's the case then that would rule out Chisholm and Thomas

They're allowed to return, Gallant did it last year, although his situation is different cuz DET drafted him but then didnt sign him, it was SJ who signed him as a free agent then sent him back. Most teams just dont want a guy playing against teens if they deem him good enough to sign him to an ELC. Most of the time they want that player working with their own coaches in their own system. If there's an AHL season, I dont see how any of them are back. But if there's no AHL season, then I'd think some will be back cuz where else would they play?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
They're allowed to return, Gallant did it last year, although his situation is different cuz DET drafted him but then didnt sign him, it was SJ who signed him as a free agent then sent him back. Most teams just dont want a guy playing against teens if they deem him good enough to sign him to an ELC. Most of the time they want that player working with their own coaches in their own system. If there's an AHL season, I dont see how any of them are back. But if there's no AHL season, then I'd think some will be back cuz where else would they play?
I see. Well that was where my thinking was coming from, so disregard my earlier comments lol

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
Most likely wont be an OHL season either with these Covid numbers on the rise

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes prospect Marko Stojkov is going to play next season in Sweden. Cool development opportunity for him.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The EIHL (British League) has been suspended for the upcoming season, so that gives you a better chance of picking up Liam Kirk as an OA for next season should you wish. Team GB will be wanting him to play some meaningful hockey before the World Championships in April.
Is this even an option for Liam Kirk to come back? Doesn't picking twice in the import draft mean they released rights to Kirk? I thought the only exceptions to this was if he was a first round NHL pick, or if he already signed an ELC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia