Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Does he fall out of the top 12 when Gallant returns?

Unless another injury happens, or someone is traded, I don't see how he doesn't. Should try and sell high on him, if they wait until the offseason, they may get nothing.

I would trade him, personally. I want to add one of Kitcheners 99’s upfront. Miereles or Yantsis would be a great fit.

Also, I think both of Gallant and Fraser return next season. Both haven’t truly “dominated” junior which usually needs to happen before a guy is ready to make the jump to pro.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I would trade him, personally. I want to add one of Kitcheners 99’s upfront. Miereles or Yantsis would be a great fit.

Also, I think both of Gallant and Fraser return next season. Both haven’t truly “dominated” junior which usually needs to happen before a guy is ready to make the jump to pro.

Id be very surprised if Gallant is back. 3rd round picks usually dont go unsigned

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
They should be planning as if both won't be back though.

I won't be surprised if Gallant gets signed, looking at Detroit's draft picks from 2017 that have to be signed, he might be the best one. Fraser would be a bit of a surprise, but he could easily play in the ECHL next year if Detroit wants to keep him.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
How has SDA been lately? I know he has picked it up production wise.

He's been much better since he got benched a couple of times. Still extremely frustrating to watch though. Rarely shoots (though last Thursday he scored a beauty). Just kind of farts around out there showing off his puck handling skills. Not a goal scoring threat most of the time because he won't shoot. But at least he's trying to play some defence now. I think Gogolev is the next one who needs to be benched as a wake up call.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
He's been much better since he got benched a couple of times. Still extremely frustrating to watch though. Rarely shoots (though last Thursday he scored a beauty). Just kind of farts around out there showing off his puck handling skills. Not a goal scoring threat most of the time because he won't shoot. But at least he's trying to play some defence now. I think Gogolev is the next one who needs to be benched as a wake up call.

This is a bang on assessment of his play. He often seems afraid to go to the net. The Petes as a group do not go to the net enough.

SDA 46 shots on goal.

McNamara 45

Grondin 46
Fraser 47
Hinz 49
Osmanski 49

I could care less how SDA or the rest of the players do against teams we should beat. A true test is how they do against top talent. I'm worried.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
This is a bang on assessment of his play. He often seems afraid to go to the net. The Petes as a group do not go to the net enough.

SDA 46 shots on goal.

McNamara 45

Grondin 46
Fraser 47
Hinz 49
Osmanski 49

I could care less how SDA or the rest of the players do against teams we should beat. A true test is how they do against top talent. I'm worried.

It's frustrating to watch them play. Nice stick handling but won't go at the net. SDA makes 1 or 2 too many passes a lot of the time. If only he'd shoot. I think he could have 10 goals by now. He has the skill.

SDA also seems to have real difficulty playing against defensemen who play physically. He gets pushed around really easily. The small size of a lot of the forwards seems to get exposed when going against teams that play physically. I notice it especially with SDA and Kirk (who won't go near anyone). Timleck is feisty and can handle himself, it seems. I can't recall seeing Gogolev make contact much at all. I'd almost like to see Parker-Jones back as a forward. Add more size there and if some of the small guys are getting pushed around, he could fill in on a top line once in a while. They like to change the lines around so much anyway.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
It's frustrating to watch them play. Nice stick handling but won't go at the net. SDA makes 1 or 2 too many passes a lot of the time. If only he'd shoot. I think he could have 10 goals by now. He has the skill.

SDA also seems to have real difficulty playing against defensemen who play physically. He gets pushed around really easily. The small size of a lot of the forwards seems to get exposed when going against teams that play physically. I notice it especially with SDA and Kirk (who won't go near anyone). Timleck is feisty and can handle himself, it seems. I can't recall seeing Gogolev make contact much at all. I'd almost like to see Parker-Jones back as a forward. Add more size there and if some of the small guys are getting pushed around, he could fill in on a top line once in a while. They like to change the lines around so much anyway.

I agree with almost everything you say but in regard to moving Parker Jones to forward I think that Grondin instead would be a great asset to occasionally be spotted as a winger on the top three lines because he has some skill and would make other teams think twice about manhandling the smaller guys. This will be especially important in the second half and the playoffs. You are bang on regarding SDA, very frustrating.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Wondering if you would like to expand your proposed trade to the Rangers for Yantsis. Just hypothetical of course.

I believe it was Yantsis to the Petes for Supryka, a second round pick and a third round pick and a conditional second round pick.

How about expanding the deal to include Hugg going your way for Cermak and a third round pick?

Hugg would help you, as you say, be competitive this year and maybe make a little noise in the playoffs. We will get Cermack as we are looking for younger players. We are graduating both our imports this year and would rather not make two selections in one import draft.

You would be passing in the next import draft anyway as both your current import would not be graduating. So if you make this trade, you could replace the vacant import spot in the summer via the import draft.

The benefit for you guys making this trade would mean a better shot at making some noise in the playoffs thus giving your team more playoff experience. That would be huge going into next year.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Saginaw picks up OA Justin Murray from Barrie. They now have way too many defenseman.

What do you guys think about acquiring Hayden Davis.... not a big enough acquisition to save our D-core?

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Saginaw picks up OA Justin Murray from Barrie. They now have way too many defenseman.

What do you guys think about acquiring Hayden Davis.... not a big enough acquisition to save our D-core?

I doubt he is a available. Saginaw will be trying to win it’s division this year and next.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Possible line-up when Gallant returns with some potential additions…….
  • Nice chemistry with top line below, but if a big right winger is added, I can see Timleck moving to another line
  • Gallant or Paquette could play with the 2nd group. IMO Hinz has been the only guy to really gel with Gogolev
  • Isaacson’s play has tailed off after his hot start…….if trades are made he could be included and if he’s not, he could end up as a healthy scratch/depth guy
  • I feel bad about Denault if things go this way…..he showed up ready at the start of the season and has been a good 4th line energy guy and is solid on the PK
  • Adding a couple of 99s who are potential OAs will help if Gallant or Fraser move on
  • I’m not even sure which of the potential additions I’ve listed below will be available…..it looks like it will be a buyers market, but the middle of the standings is still pretty clogged up
upload_2018-12-8_22-32-46.png

Reactions: Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Possible line-up when Gallant returns with some potential additions…….
  • Nice chemistry with top line below, but if a big right winger is added, I can see Timleck moving to another line
  • Gallant or Paquette could play with the 2nd group. IMO Hinz has been the only guy to really gel with Gogolev
  • Isaacson’s play has tailed off after his hot start…….if trades are made he could be included and if he’s not, he could end up as a healthy scratch/depth guy
  • I feel bad about Denault if things go this way…..he showed up ready at the start of the season and has been a good 4th line energy guy and is solid on the PK
  • Adding a couple of 99s who are potential OAs will help if Gallant or Fraser move on
  • I’m not even sure which of the potential additions I’ve listed below will be available…..it looks like it will be a buyers market, but the middle of the standings is still pretty clogged up
View attachment 163179

Those are the exact same players I’ve come up with as trade targets. I think all four of them would compliment SDA and Robertson on a line quite well. If they were able to acquire one of those four and get a legit top 4 2000 born D to upgrade McNamara and Beraldo.... they’d be looking pretty good heading into next season.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Those are the exact same players I’ve come up with as trade targets. I think all four of them would compliment SDA and Robertson on a line quite well. If they were able to acquire one of those four and get a legit top 4 2000 born D to upgrade McNamara and Beraldo.... they’d be looking pretty good heading into next season.
They don't need to upgrade McNamara that bad, they need to find him someone to play with who isn't named Osmanski, and can make a play anywhere on the ice that doesn't leave him to deal with a 2 v 1

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I agree that McNamara is fine. If u bring in one of the 3 LH Dmen listed above to pair with him, it would be a solid pairing. As far as the D unit goes.......they have to get a top 4 guy in a deal. I was holding my breath in the Hamilton game every time that Supryka and JPJ were paired together. It was a gutsy performance by the 5 D after Fraser left the game in the 2nd. He didn’t play again after his solid hit on Kaliyev. His left shoulder was the point of impact..... hopefully it’s not serious. They could really use him this afternoon against a depleted 67s team, playing their 3rd in 3 and just lost DiPietro to Canada’s WJ camp.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I agree that McNamara is fine. If u bring in one of the 3 LH Dmen listed above to pair with him, it would be a solid pairing. As far as the D unit goes.......they have to get a top 4 guy in a deal. I was holding my breath in the Hamilton game every time that Supryka and JPJ were paired together. It was a gutsy performance by the 5 D after Fraser left the game in the 2nd. He didn’t play again after his solid hit on Kaliyev. His left shoulder was the point of impact..... hopefully it’s not serious. They could really use him this afternoon against a depleted 67s team, playing their 3rd in 3 and just lost DiPietro to Canada’s WJ camp.

Have all the WJ guys left already?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Not to me I’d be after penman

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Boka would be a 4th liner in Peterborough. Purboo has never been close to a PPG, a minus every year and a bad skater. If you're looking to add top OA's for a contending team, they aren't good options.

Yantsis has scored 40% of his goals on the PP. He'd be going from the 2nd best PP in Kitchener to the worst in Peterborough. His goal scoring likely isn't sustainable in Peterborough, but his 12 even strength goals would still lead the Petes. His first 15 games he was averaging 1.2 points per game, his past 15 games he's down to 0.73. He hasn't been productive anywhere prior to this year. Not saying they shouldn't go after him, but I'm not sure I'd pay much for a guy that appears to be cooling off after a hot start.

Why not Neumann, McGregor or Meireles? They may be the top 3 rumored to be available at the moment. Neumann is proving he didn't need Robertson to produce. Meireles and McGregor both add forward depth while addressing the center depth for next year. Both play special teams.

I'd prioritize a top 4 defenceman.

Ideally a good '01 or '00 born player becomes available closer to the deadline.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes lose to Ottawa yesterday. thought the Petes did well early but the game slipped away with some penalties. One to Kirk for tripping where he just got his stick under the skate of an Ottawa player and also Denault I think got one that was weak. Felhaber is the kind of sniper that the Petes have struggled with for years. They just can't give that guy time or space. We were short two top defensemen with Fraser and McNamara out which might have made the difference ultimately in this game. I'm thinking more and more that Fraser make s a big difference to this team and without him yesterday we were not as strong on defense.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
So... no home games until November next season.
And they decided they will go ahead with plans for a new stadium? What a counsel! If they had the foresight to do this 2 years ago and NOT plan to build pads at Trent the city would be that much more closer to a new stadium...5-7 yrs before those doors would open at this point

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
So... no home games until November next season.

With any luck...Assuming it all goes well. There were 8 home games this Sept/Oct. I guess it means a lot of Saturday games next season. Which I'm okay with, but it will be strange not to be heading to the home opener in late September. I sure hope we can get a bit of a playoff run this season. It will suck if they miss the playoffs (highly unlikely) and the last game is about St. Patrick's Day.

I keep reading the work would start in June. Couldn't they start a bit earlier? Maybe middle of May? It's likely they'll run behind schedule and they might have to really scramble to finish it all to have it ready for November. Even if the Petes made a run to the OHL title, they would be done with the arena by about May 15 (I haven't checked to see what the Memorial Cup dates are yet for this season).

I think the floor replacement is the better idea. Realistically even if council approved a new arena in the next couple months, I don't think it would be ready to open for about 5 years (I'm guessing, maybe even more).

Reactions: three dog night

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
With any luck...Assuming it all goes well. There were 8 home games this Sept/Oct. I guess it means a lot of Saturday games next season. Which I'm okay with, but it will be strange not to be heading to the home opener in late September. I sure hope we can get a bit of a playoff run this season. It will suck if they miss the playoffs (highly unlikely) and the last game is about St. Patrick's Day.

I keep reading the work would start in June. Couldn't they start a bit earlier? Maybe middle of May? It's likely they'll run behind schedule and they might have to really scramble to finish it all to have it ready for November. Even if the Petes made a run to the OHL title, they would be done with the arena by about May 15 (I haven't checked to see what the Memorial Cup dates are yet for this season).

I think the floor replacement is the better idea. Realistically even if council approved a new arena in the next couple months, I don't think it would be ready to open for about 5 years (I'm guessing, maybe even more).

The Petes defence will be challenged this weekend with Fraser and McNamara out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad