Speculation: Peter Horachek

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Bob Hartley has done a really good job in Calgary- believe it or not. Their roster is just as bad if not worse than Florida's and they don't win a lot but play hard and have a solid system. Which is a lot more than you can say about the Panthers.

He is the perfect type for a rebuilding team. Hates to lose and demands a lot from his players. I think it was Hudler who said after training camp that he has never trained as hard as under coach Hartley.

That's the type of coach this needs. Not sure if Horacheck is bringing that fire to this team, he seems more of a thinker type who expects the "leaders" of the team to carry the responsibility. This team definitely needs a kick in the balls -type of coach right now.

Wasn't Dineen that type of coach? Isn't Torts that kind of coach? Good way to lose the locker room.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
The team needs better players.

That's pretty much the solution to everything.
This.

We need to get players who will play a coaches system, if that requires a new coach so be it. Right now it feels like we're putting a square peg in a round hole and it does not work.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
65boucher.jpg
"Wanna know how I got these scars, why so serious?"

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Bob Hartley has done a really good job in Calgary- believe it or not. Their roster is just as bad if not worse than Florida's and they don't win a lot but play hard and have a solid system. Which is a lot more than you can say about the Panthers.

He is the perfect type for a rebuilding team. Hates to lose and demands a lot from his players. I think it was Hudler who said after training camp that he has never trained as hard as under coach Hartley.

That's the type of coach this needs. Not sure if Horacheck is bringing that fire to this team, he seems more of a thinker type who expects the "leaders" of the team to carry the responsibility. This team definitely needs a kick in the balls -type of coach right now.

Idk why it took so long for him to find another job, he won a cup with the Avs and in an arguably bigger accomplishment led the Thrashers to the playoffs.

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
Someone mentioned Jeff Blashill in an earlier post (I think it was this thread, actually) and after having looked him up on the interwebs I've been very impressed. It seems like every club he coaches has a winning record. Won 2 championships, one in the USHL and one was in his first year coaching in the AHL with the Griffins. They have already clinched a playoff spot with the third best record in the league and I would not be surprised if he were a candidate at all by season's end.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think ownership wants a marquee name coaching the team, whoever that may be. While Id like to see some young, new blood coaching the team, I wouldnt be surprised if a vet coach was brought in.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I think ownership wants a marquee name coaching the team, whoever that may be. While Id like to see some young, new blood coaching the team, I wouldnt be surprised if a vet coach was brought in.

Based on what? I'm not saying that they don't... I just haven't heard anything at all on what ownership wants to do with coaching.

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida

I think a marquee coach (I'm assuming you mean like Messier) might influence players a little bit to sign here like what Yzerman did for the Bolts. My question would be, if they went that route, would be whether or not that individual could accomplish long term what Dineen and Horachek haven't able to do. Which is why I'd find it hard to believe that that's a priority for Tallon with the hiring process. I would also still be slightly skeptical if they brought in a veteran coach until I saw the team play. Which I agree that that would be the most likely scenario for the organization.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Wasn't Dineen that type of coach? Isn't Torts that kind of coach? Good way to lose the locker room.

Did Dineen lose the room when he started though or did he have a positive impact?

Anyway I think the experience that Hartley has combined with hard nosed (although not in the sense like Torts IMO) coaching is something this team needs, instead of inexperienced guys. Especially with the new direction that the team has like spending to the cap and new owners.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Agree with you 100%.

No factual basis for this opinion, simply inference building.

Big shot NY billionaire wants to put his imprint on the team. Not saying Viola is like that, but with the changes being made, from management, to the arena itself, you can see that he wants this to be a top notch sports organization. That is still more of an opinion at the moment, but if he goes out and spends money on top tier free agents, and continues to commit to the financial aspect of owning a team, then it would be more of a fact.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What established coach with a long track record of winning is out there though that isn't ancient?(So that excludes Pat Quinn) Crawford? Pass. Maurice and Hartley have already been scooped up. I hate Lavi too. I really can't think of anyone. Maybe if someone else is fired after the season.

Otherwise I'd rather go with a junior/AHL guy if Horacheck is canned.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
What established coach with a long track record of winning is out there though that isn't ancient?(So that excludes Pat Quinn) Crawford? Pass. Maurice and Hartley have already been scooped up. I hate Lavi too. I really can't think of anyone. Maybe if someone else is fired after the season.

Maurice only signed a contract for the rest of the season.

Then again, have the Jets really been that different under his wings than Noel's? Kinda meh after that hot start if you ask me.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Jovanovski will be named coach next season and still continue to play

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Messier has no coaching experience, so he would need to rely heavily on his assistants for running any sort of system. I just don't see him as a good option, other than in the motivation department and that will run dry quick if/when the losses pile up. He is not the same as Roy, Patrick at least coached in juniors before joining the Avs.

CoolburnIsGone

Ron Wilson fits that too. He's 58 yrs old with plenty of experience so he's not ancient. I could see him as an acceptable choice.

We've gone the junior/AHL guy the past 2 times and it hasn't panned out so well. I think the team will be reluctant to go that route again IMO.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ron Wilson fits that too. He's 58 yrs old with plenty of experience so he's not ancient. I could see him as an acceptable choice.

We've gone the junior/AHL guy the past 2 times and it hasn't panned out so well. I think the team will be reluctant to go that route again IMO.

He was horrible in Toronto though. Do we really want him here? Why would he do an amazing job here with arguably the same level of roster? And do we really want a hard-ass with all these young players here? That's what I'm saying. There's no established guy that's really appetizing. And for people that want structure, with Lavi or Wilson there would be no structure.

Just give another assistant/junior/AHL guy a shot. Just because DeBoer and Dineen didn't turn out to be stellar coaches, doesn't mean another guy can't do a much better job. Look at Yeo, Richards, Cooper, etc. Coaches have to come from somewhere and there are always new guys coming up and doing a good job.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
He was horrible in Toronto though. Do we really want him here? Why would he do an amazing job here with arguably the same level of roster? And do we really want a hard-ass with all these young players here? That's what I'm saying. There's no established guy that's really appetizing. And for people that want structure, with Lavi or Wilson there would be no structure.

Just give another assistant/junior/AHL guy a shot. Just because DeBoer and Dineen didn't turn out to be stellar coaches, doesn't mean another guy can't do a much better job. Look at Yeo, Richards, Cooper, etc. Coaches have to come from somewhere and there are always new guys coming up and doing a good job.

Three times in a row we have gone that route M.R. ...when do we look up the definition of insanity?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00