Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Look Holland looks promising, is young, is under contract. He is here to fill in, Bozak will be back soon and we have other options as well. Use him sparingly and under 25 games.

2nd and 3rd is a huge deal!

Do you mean that the difference between 2nd and 3rd is a huge deal? Or do you think that the 2nd is in addition to the third?

mikebel111*

I appreciate your comments, that you even take time to read my posts. Some posters are far too sensitive and over defensive when it comes to certain players, that it's not worth my time responding.

The point is Nazem after a breakout year, has not taken the next step fwd. With Bolland and Bozak out, not sure where the hate is. We all want this, and I say it in this post, Nazem can do it, he has the talent, he has the prove you wrong attitude.

So there you have it, I am a believer in Naz as I always have been. Just like to see him start living up to it.

ok I get that, but u have been saying that kadri might not fit in if he has a great year and will start making 5 million after next year,

who the heck cares if he makes 5 million, I take kadri over bozak if kadri keeps improving.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
bozak is a 3.5M player. He is a good player to have on your team because he is so versatile. He can pk, pp, faceoff (well used to be good at this), and he is good at shootouts. The type quality plug you will find on a cup winning team. That being said he is not a top 6 C and shouldnt be playing there unless its for spot duties. I hate that we overpaid for him because I hate overpaying for middling players, period. I mean I will never understand the need to be generous with bozak/clarkson ilk players but then turn around and be stingy with kadri ilk players. I just dont get it.

I remember people crying about the thought of giving kessel 8M.. lol. With these types of players you just shut up and give them their money.

I agree with this 99%. If you had Bozak as a 3M player instead of 3.5 it would be 100%.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
With Bolland gone is he not staying up for the rest of the year? Our lineup will include:

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
McClement

or it could be:

Bozak
Kadri
McClement
Smithson/Smith

not sure which one i prefer... gotta see more of Holland. but so far, I like what I see.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
or it could be:

Bozak
Kadri
McClement
Smithson/Smith

not sure which one i prefer... gotta see more of Holland. but so far, I like what I see.

Ideally I like:
Kadri
Holland - first two lines can switch around if Kadri doesn't play well with JVR/Kessel
Bozak
McClement (or Smithson with McClement on wing)

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
but Kadri doesn't WORK for the first line though.

Why not? Is there some statistical information you can withdraw that supports that claim? Or are you just going to say garbage like "He's not good defensively" "Kessel and JVR generate offensive alone" "Bozak covers up JVR and Kessel's mistakes". Yeah I've heard those a billion times before. :help:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Why not? Is there some statistical information you can withdraw that supports that claim? Or are you just going to say garbage like "He's not good defensively" "Kessel and JVR generate offensive alone" "Bozak covers up JVR and Kessel's mistakes". Yeah I've heard those a billion times before. :help:

Probably because he has been put there several times, and the line has not done well? it really doesn't get much easier or as simple as that.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
but Kadri doesn't WORK for the first line though.

Sure he does! He's not a perfect fit obviously but they have been very creative together. It seemed like last night he was jumping up a bit too quick on the break out, always looking for the first pass, where maybe he should let his wingers handle that. If he concentrates on the defense a bit more and improves his poke checking and faceoffs (essentially covering the bozak attributes) he will be great. Hopefully he responds well to coaching and improves in these areas because he's almost there.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Probably because he has been put there several times, and the line has not done well? it really doesn't get much easier or as simple as that.

No he hasn't. He hasn't gotten a fair share on that 1st line spot and neither has Holland. Even last night Kadri was on the 1st line for about 5 shifts then he was jumbled around with Orr, Raymond, Lupul and others.

Once Kadri plays consistently on that line for ~10games then we discuss his failure to provide that line with intangibles that lord Bozak provide.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Back to the Holland discussion. Been fairly impressed with him so far. Pretty complete game. Better two way player than I expected and has looked fairly dangerous offensively. Looks like he has a future here with the leafs.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I hope Holland can keep his play up because he has been excellent in all regards. I was pretty impressed by his bold play that led to the crossbar shot at the end. He was looking to get it done himself and wasn't hesitant in letting it go.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
No he hasn't. He hasn't gotten a fair share on that 1st line spot and neither has Holland. Even last night Kadri was on the 1st line for about 5 shifts then he was jumbled around with Orr, Raymond, Lupul and others.

Once Kadri plays consistently on that line for ~10games then we discuss his failure to provide that line with intangibles that lord Bozak provide.

Why would the coach take him off the first line then, and not give him more time with JVR and Phil? Clearly Carlyle doesn't want to win games then.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Why then is he not a fixture there permanently?
Because Bozak is normally there and he does a good enough job. I was just responding to the poster who said Kadri doesn't WORK there. I think Kadri is decent with JVR/Kessel, not great, but not remotely as terrible as some might think.
Personally, I want to see Kadri with Lupul and Clarkson and I'd like to see more of Holland between JVR and Kessel just to see how good Holland can be in that situation.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Why would the coach take him off the first line then, and not give him more time with JVR and Phil? Clearly Carlyle doesn't want to win games then.

I don't know, tell me why Kostka was on the 1st pairing with Phaneuf last year for 12games? Or why Holzer was in for Gardiner despite Eakins saying Gardiner was healthy? Or why Kadri played 10% of his mins with Orr last year? Or why Macarthur was scratched for enforcers constantly last year?

Carlyle has made alot of mistakes (like any other coach), demoting Kadri from the 1st line after 5 shifts is one of his mistakes (at least in my eyes).

If your trying to make it seem like Kadri was demoted because he wasn't playing good, then no I completely disagree, you can't gauge a players effectiveness after 5 shifts.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I don't know, tell me why Kostka was on the 1st pairing with Phaneuf last year for 12games? Or why Holzer was in for Gardiner despite Eakins saying Gardiner was healthy? Or why Kadri played 10% of his mins with Orr last year? Or why Macarthur was scratched for enforcers constantly last year?
Carlyle has made alot of mistakes (like any other coach), demoting Kadri from the 1st line after 5 shifts is one of his mistakes (at least in my eyes).

If your trying to make it seem like Kadri was demoted because he wasn't playing good, then no I completely disagree, you can't gauge a players effectiveness after 5 shifts.

Well that's very simple. This former player, Norris trophy winner and Stanley cup winner likely knows more about the game and wining that you and I both.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I personally think Kadri doesn't work on the first line right yet because to me it doesn't seem like he and jvr and kessel fit (to the point where Carlyle moved Kadri back down). Also while I do think he is getting better defensively, and the like, I think he works better with Lupul. They click together as the JVR/Kessel pair.

and that's what makes our one two punch so dangerous when it's clicking.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Nonis and Carlyle don't seem to mind Bozak. I value their opinions. As do many Leafs fans.

Bozak is +5 this year, he plays 20 mins a game, our PK has gone south since he has been out and makes less than Stephen Weiss or Grabovski last year. Not sure how you equate 4.2 as enoromous. Explain please.

I don't care what some posters write, since I take their posts with grains of salt. Sorry to disappoint, I only care what reasonable posters write. And judging by your over-defensiveness about Kadri, comments of roomies, I know which group you are in.
A lot of it has to do with aesthetics. Kadri looks flashier, but it's pretty obvious that Bozak is a lot critical. We're not losing games because of lack of offence, but due to our defensive game. Seeing that we don't have Felix Potvin in net, our defenceman and forwards need to be more defensively-responsible. I don't think we've seen that ever since the times when Gilmour was around.

For that reason alone, Bozak is probably staying. I can't see him being supplanted yet. He'll likely be used to stabilise our second line once we find a PWF to center the top line. Seeing that we want to retain the effective Bolland-Clarkson ( second line) pair, that will likely be the direction we're taking cap-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad