Peter Chiarelli Why Did You Trade Tayor Hall *****fest Bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
This is where i stand

They brought in chia to build a tough team to beat up the pacific. He did thatverywell. Almost won the divij, almost went tothe wcf. Unfortunately the league also started to open more than ever, have worse reffing than ever (legendary awful), a new team in the divij that was spoonfed momentum and caught lightning, and a goalie and defense that evaporated into thin air.

You can switch gms. He made some big mistakes but the blame is up the ladder. He did his job.....sort of.

Interesting perspective

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you can't tell the difference between our prospect situation between now and year one of the McDavid era, I'm not even going to waste my time with you.

Teams that succeed in the playoffs all have internally developed talent lined throughout their rosters. ELCs and second contracts given to improving young players are how teams can manage to keep a deep hockey team in the salary cap era together. When you don't have those players at your disposal, you need to fill integral roles via the free agent market, which generally offers limited talent whose cost driven up by demand.

This is why guys like Kris Russell and Andrej Sekera are on the hook. It's pretty telling about this method of player acquisition when the 'what could have been' when discussing the Taylor Hall trade is signing Jason Demers to a long-term deal. The UFA market is always bad.

You know another way to build "internal depth"?

Maybe pick Matthew Barzal or Kyle Connor or or Alex DeBrincat or Matthew Tkachuk or Mikhail Sergachev when they're sitting in your lap.

Maybe don't bank on Lucic over Taylor Hall.

The Oilers have had MORE than their share of opportunities even from just 2015 onwards to build a good core of players here. They've passed on multiple players that would have helped immensely out of their own free will and done plenty of other stupid things with no one putting a gun to their head.

Reactions: Gone

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They spent heavily to fill out a mediocre roster, it's true.

I think we need to clarify "depth" here. Because we're talking about needing at least two of what I would consider to be essential components to success to come from our current pool of prospects: a top D man and one or two high end wingers. Those aren't depth pieces.

Well that's a challenge since the roster is packed with more filler than you get when you order one doorknob on Amazon.
Depth is exactly what it is--productive players throughout the roster. I agree--an high impact offensive defenseman is needed to push this roster to the next level and in time Evan Bouchard looks like he could be one. When it comes to forwards, I don't think we need 'high end' anything. We just need production. These filler pieces--Rattie, Rieder, Kassian, Caggiula, Khaira--need to be productive NHL forwards. They need to be more than zeroes. In the meantime, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi need to learn to be more effective at this level--particularly Puljujarvi, who's at risk of possibly being moved in the next year if his offense doesn't begin to translate.

Teams with that kind of cap committed to two players don't have the ability to add more high end pieces. The Leafs are going to find this out the hard way when they trade Nylander in the coming weeks and Gardiner ultimately walks to free agency in the summer.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hamilton gets a heavy ozone push, way more points and essentially breaks even at even strength. He’s just not good at stopping the opposition from scoring goals.
'You don't have to stop the opposition from scoring them when you're always scoring them.'

Flawed rhetoric.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Hamilton gets a heavy ozone push, way more points and essentially breaks even at even strength. He’s just not good at stopping the opposition from scoring goals.
I wouldn't call his stats "essentially breaking even at even strength". A 9.02 GF% rel is one of the biggest in the NHL.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Depth is exactly what it is--productive players throughout the roster. I agree--an high impact offensive defenseman is needed to push this roster to the next level and in time Evan Bouchard looks like he could be one. When it comes to forwards, I don't think we need 'high end' anything. We just need production. These filler pieces--Rattie, Rieder, Kassian, Caggiula, Khaira--need to be productive NHL forwards. They need to be more than zeroes. In the meantime, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi need to learn to be more effective at this level--particularly Puljujarvi, who's at risk of possibly being moved in the next year if his offense doesn't begin to translate.

Well, production is a struggle when your roster is packed with guys who are probably replacement level players at best. Is there a player on this roster outside of 97, 29 and 93 who looks like they could even come close to 50 points in a season?

Teams with that kind of cap committed to two players don't have the ability to add more high end pieces. The Leafs are going to find this out the hard way when they trade Nylander in the coming weeks and Gardiner ultimately walks to free agency in the summer.

I'm betting they sign Nylander.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Pick all of the players that you passed over who eventually developed into productive NHLers.
Remember when people used to bitch and complain about the Oilers trading down at the '03 draft and walking out with MA Pouliot and JF Jacques instead of Zach Parise or Corey Perry? Rememeber when Kevin Lowe could have traded Mike Comrie for Corey Perry and the first that year? Is it still fun to bitch and whine and draw up fantasy depth charts of what could've been?

No, it isn't. Because it's like obsessing over your ex for years. It's borderline insane.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you can't tell the difference between our prospect situation between now and year one of the McDavid era, I'm not even going to waste my time with you.

Teams that succeed in the playoffs all have internally developed talent lined throughout their rosters. ELCs and second contracts given to improving young players are how teams can manage to keep a deep hockey team in the salary cap era together. When you don't have those players at your disposal, you need to fill integral roles via the free agent market, which generally offers limited talent whose cost driven up by demand.

This is why guys like Kris Russell and Andrej Sekera are on the hook. It's pretty telling about this method of player acquisition when the 'what could have been' when discussing the Taylor Hall trade is signing Jason Demers to a long-term deal. The UFA market is always bad.
Yeah JP is looking great these days isn’t he? We always get overhyped about our prospects. Oh man remember Stu the wizard? If you can’t develop properly it doesn’t matter how well you draft.

The Oilers need to develop players but have they improved on that so much? We are currently playing... what, three rookies in the lineup currently?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

I bet they'll get a lot more, probably a good D, than the Oilers would get for some of their moves....

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
That's how good he is. He's carrying the team right now which is very impressive. If they come out of this month with anywhere between 10-12 points then we will make the playoffs.

It's not sustainable - Connor will be burnt out well before any kind of playoff berth. Even in San Jose, Todd has been notorious to running his players to the ground.

Reactions: Gone

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Remember when people used to ***** and complain about the Oilers trading down at the '03 draft and walking out with MA Pouliot and JF Jacques instead of Zach Parise or Corey Perry? Rememeber when Kevin Lowe could have traded Mike Comrie for Corey Perry and the first that year? Is it still fun to ***** and whine and draw up fantasy depth charts of what could've been?

No, it isn't. Because it's like obsessing over your ex for years. It's borderline insane.

It's more like not spending any time with your kids when they were growing up and then acting dumb struck in the present when you realize you don't have a good relationship them.

That's your fault, no one wants to hear your excuses.

You deserve the situation you're in because of the mistakes you've made. You didn't put in the work when you were called upon and now you can deal with the situation being what it is.

The mistakes the Oilers made in 2015 and 2016, we're reckoning with those mistakes and dealing with those errors today, every game, right now. The full extent of damage done from poor management is often only made fully apparent a few years after that fact, we should know that better than any other team.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016

Maybe pick Matthew Barzal or Kyle Connor or or Alex DeBrincat or Matthew Tkachuk or Mikhail Sergachev when they're sitting in your lap.

Maybe don't bank on Lucic over Taylor Hall.

The Oilers have had MORE than their share of opportunities even from just 2015 onwards to build a good core of players here. They've passed on multiple players that would have helped immensely out of their own free will and done plenty of other stupid things with no one putting a gun to their head.
I said it before but they really missed the boat for not landing Subban!!!! It’s a rare opportunity when an elite Norris winning defenseman is being offered to you!!! Sure it would have cost Drai, Kelfbom and the 4th pick (Poolparty) but you would have an elite centre and defenseman!!! Instead you get Hall for Larsson and fill Hall’s spot with Lucic!!!

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah JP is looking great these days isn’t he? We always get overhyped about our prospects. Oh man remember Stu the wizard? If you can’t develop properly it doesn’t matter how well you draft.

The Oilers need to develop players but have they improved on that so much? We are currently playing... what, three rookies in the lineup currently?
No, he's not. But he's still a part of a much deeper, more impressive prospect group that suits the needs of the organization. Top to bottom the team's prospect situation is miles ahead of what was available at the beginning of the McDavid era.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I said it before but they really missed the boat for not landing Subban!!!! It’s a rare opportunity when an elite Norris winning defenseman is being offered to you!!! Sure it would have cost Drai, Kelfbom and the 4th pick (Poolparty) but you would have an elite centre and defenseman!!! Instead you get Hall for Larsson and fill Hall’s spot with Lucic!!!
So you'd prefer to out a top four defenseman, a top line center and our top forward prospect for a defenseman who makes about as much as all three of them put together? You think that's a missed opportunity? Yikes.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
So you'd prefer to out a top four defenseman, a top line center and our top forward prospect for a defenseman who makes about as much as all three of them put together? You think that's a missed opportunity? Yikes.
Yup I’d take Subban on my team over any of those 3 everyday... like the saying goes sometimes less is more!!!! Klefbom ain’t nothing special, Poolparty is looking more like a bottom 6 forward and Drai would be the only one that would leave a burn!!! Subban plays all facets of the game PP, PK and can eat big minutes!!! Defenseman like him are a rare commodity in the league so yes they missed the boat on that one big time!!!! Who would you rather have a top line center playing second fiddle or a Norris winning defenseman who just entered his prime????

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
7gp:

7022-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

One of those was a power play point. Isn't even capable of playing physical.

That's right. Jordan Eberle.

space321

May 11, 2011
7gp:

7022-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
One of those was a power play point. Isn't even capable of playing physical.

That's right. Jordan Eberle.

Excellent f***ing sample size. Eberle scored 25 goals last year and Lucic scored 10.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Macleod with 13 points in 10 games so far since going back to junior.

I think we might have gotten more out of him as an 18 year old than will be gleaned from Brodziak or Strome this year. I would say another questionable decision. Would it have hurt to have a look-see for 9 games?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Macleod with 13 points in 10 games so far since going back to junior.

I think we might have gotten more out of him as an 18 year old than will be gleaned from Brodziak or Strome this year. I would say another questionable decision. Would it have hurt to have a look-see for 9 games?

He look great for the most part in pre-season. Not sure why they didn't give him a 9 game look either.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Excellent ****ing sample size. Eberle scored 25 goals last year and Lucic scored 10.
Also Eberle is more suited for the 2019 version of hockey. Lucic is useful 10 years ago. They both get the same amount of money and I know who id rather have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad